Current or retired LEO; Whats the most annoying/aggravating call type you get

This is a discussion on Current or retired LEO; Whats the most annoying/aggravating call type you get within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Non LEO here but @ you traffic guys. In my line of work we have a phenomina call "Got to get there-itis". Every year we ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Current or retired LEO; Whats the most annoying/aggravating call type you get

VIP Member
    Non LEO here but @ you traffic guys. In my line of work we have a phenomina call "Got to get there-itis". Every year we have 3 or 4 light aircraft crash because they just don't know when to call it quits. Our conversation usually goes something like this:

ATC: "Cessna123 there is a line of level 6 thunderstorms up ahead with one inch hail and severe wind shear. I suggest you land at XXX airport, it's just off your left wing."

Idiot pilot: "Umm can you just give us a vector to where it looks the best."

ATC: "Sir there is no good spot, it's a 100 mile long level 6 storm."

Idiot pilot: "well we are going to try to get through it."

Then they wonder why the wings get ripped off their little Cessna and they crash.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Calls that got under my skin were the calls where dad or mom wanted the police to discipline their kid(s) for them! One call in particular that sticks in my mind was a single mother called 911 and wanted contact with an officer because of a problem with her 12 yoa son. I contacted the woman and she said her son wouldn't mind her. I asked her what he wouldn't do and she said he wouldn't get off the computer when she told him to. I told her it was not a police matter but a parenting issue and out of curiosity asked her why she told him to get off it...she said because she's his mother and she could!

Not really a call but another thing that really irritated me was when in a restaurant in uniform and a family with small kids would be sitting close by and I'd hear mom or dad tell one of the kids they'd better be good or they'd have that policeman over there take them to jail. Didn't do much for our "Officer Friendly" role.

Indecent exposure!

I was an LEO in the late 70's in a smaller midwest town, POP 20,000+.

An older woman would call in about a man exposing himself and was not wearing any clothing. We had answered this call several times without success. When we contacted the woman she would tell us he left before we arrived. This woman contacted the City council and raised so much hell that we conducted a stake out by her house, without her knowledge.

Several nights later she called again. I was less the 100 ft from her house and no "naked man" was in sight. We immediately made contact. She took us into her bathroom and asked us to look out the window at the the naked man. She was correct, there was a naked man in view. However you had to stand on the toilet seat and lean to the right to look out her bathroom window and into his bathroom window, to see the man getting ready to take a shower in his own bathroom several houses away from her and down the hill.

We made contacted with the man and politely discussed the issue. After a discrete chucked he agreed to put a curtain over his bathroom window. He guessed who had complained, which we couldn't confirm, but we didn't denie it either. He also stated he took a shower around the same time every night. She knew when to look.

This same woman also continued to raise hell at the city council meeting and to the polioce chief about the "naked women" in the store fronts. The local business would change the clothes on the display mannequins in the window. On their own they started putting cloth sheets in the windows when they changed the display to quite her down. She wrote to the local newspaper saying that finally the police were doing their job. We hadn't done anything, no illegal activity there.

Another woman would call in and report that the little people was stealing water from her porch. She had no water outlet on her front porch and no water deliveries. Her issue was resolved when she was told to hang a couple of tinfoil pie pans from her porch ceiling and that would frighten away the thieves. She did hang the pie pans and we received no more calls about the water thieves

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    good idea Sixto.......

out of control x year old....I don't know about the rest of you LEOs, but here we get those and all I can think is....where is your belt?!?!?!? I get there and of course they don't discipline the child, they are afraid to spank them because the 9-16 year old has threatened them with CPS...and then we just laugh and tell them what Texas law says the parent can do to that child and we watch momma get a belt and go to work

BS welfare checks....ex-hubby calls in saying ex-wife isn't caring for their kids properly and vice-versa.....idiots wasting my time, taxpayer money just so they can tick off each other/cause aggravation
    These 2 are the most aggravating calls for me. I get a call about an out of control youth, and when we get there, its just some mom angry that her son won't get a haircut to go to a graduation ceremony.

And those BS Check Well Being calls between divorced or separated parents just piss me off.

Another one that really pisses me off are the parents who call in when their kids are not home exactly on time. Get those all the time, especially on the weekends. They want to report their kid missing when little Joey isn't home at 10pm or something. They call in at 10:05 pm, we're on our way there, and just when we are about to get there, we get cancelled because little Joey just came home.

Similarly, to what I just posted above.

The BS missing person calls. Usually by wives pissed off their husband went out with the guys. We get there, take the report, they sign it, they claim there husband isn't answering their cell phone and they NEVER stay out late, yeah right. We go through the trouble of putting out the broadcast, entering the guy into NCIC, then have to do the missing person return when hubby comes home at 3 in the morning after being out late with his friends.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    Similarly, to what I just posted above.

The BS missing person calls. Usually by wives pissed off their husband went out with the guys. We get there, take the report, they sign it, they claim there husband isn't answering their cell phone and they NEVER stay out late, yeah right. We go through the trouble of putting out the broadcast, entering the guy into NCIC, then have to do the missing person return when hubby comes home at 3 in the morning after being out late with his friends.
    and then the couple of domestic runs after. lol
    "Just blame Sixto"

One of the calls that I really did not like were the, Disturbance Loud Party calls. The main reason was the size of many of the parties in our area, some were BIG. I remember one I rolled on alone (had a trainee), no one else available, was a busy Saturday night. The only help/backup was a bird. He was kind enough to inform me while enroute, that it covered 6-8 backyards and he estimated 6-800 people. That did not exactly make my day. Told the trainee, be nice, if we get jumped, start shooting.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    One of the calls that I really did not like were the, Disturbance Loud Party calls. The main reason was the size of many of the parties in our area, some were BIG. I remember one I rolled on alone (had a trainee), no one else available, was a busy Saturday night. The only help/backup was a bird. He was kind enough to inform me while enroute, that it covered 6-8 backyards and he estimated 6-800 people. That did not exactly make my day. Told the trainee, be nice, if we get jumped, start shooting.
    Thats when you put your trainee in regular clothes and have him attend the party and quickly spread the word that the cops are coming. Watch 'em all scatter. Sometimes you just have to work smarter, not harder.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good thought, but many of the "people" attending these were not the "scattering" type.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Good thought, but many of the "people" attending these were not the "scattering" type.
    Oh well then, its good training for the rookie.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I absolutley hate stopping on I-40 for the reasons mentioned above.

That place can get you killed as quicky as anything out there....
    My nemesis is US 59. Two Interstates cross my area, too, but US 59 is the deadliest one.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links