Current or retired LEO; Whats the most annoying/aggravating call type you get

This is a discussion on Current or retired LEO; Whats the most annoying/aggravating call type you get within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought it would be fun to vent a little with a spin off of the MWG thread, and others might get a kick out ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Current or retired LEO; Whats the most annoying/aggravating call type you get

Administrator

Current or retired LEO; Whats the most annoying/aggravating call type you get

I thought it would be fun to vent a little with a spin off of the MWG thread, and others might get a kick out of the less glamorous calls that usually don't make the episodes of COPS.

Mine are telephone harassment and the "My wife/kid/neighbor/etc won't do what I want them to do, so you need to make them.

Add your own, it should be fun.
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 8th, 2011 at 09:18 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

I'll get you started.

"I want you to make my husband/boyfriend/etc stop hitting me but I don't want him arrested and I don't want you to hurt him."

Is this an emergency? "Yes, there is a barking dog/loud music/arguement/loud car next door."

"There is a giant rat in my back yard."

"There is a police car outside and the radio is too loud."
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I hope you don't mind a little from a non-LEO:

Dispatcher: 911 What is your emergency?
    Caller: I heard what sounded like gunshots coming from the brown house on the corner.
    Dispatcher: Do you have an address?
    Caller: No, I have on a blouse and slacks, why?

Caller: Someone broke into my house and took a bite out of my ham and cheese sandwich.
    Dispatcher: Excuse me?
    Caller: I made a ham and cheese sandwich and left it on the kitchen table and when I came back from the bathroom, someone had taken a bite out of it.
    Dispatcher: Was anything else taken?
    Caller: No, but this has happened to me before and I'm sick and tired of it!

Dispatcher: 911
    Caller: Yeah, I'm having trouble breathing. I'm all out of breath. Darn....I think I'm going to pass out.
    Dispatcher: Sir, where are you calling from?
    Caller: I'm at a pay phone. North and Foster.
    Dispatcher: ! Sir, an ambulance is on the way. Are you an asthmatic?
    Caller: No
    Dispatcher: What were you doing before you started having trouble breathing?
    Caller: Running from the Police.

Dispatcher: 911 What is the nature of your emergency?
    Caller: I'm trying to reach nine eleven but my phone doesn't have an eleven on it.
    Dispatcher: This is nine eleven.
    Caller: I thought you just said it was nine-one-one
    Dispatcher: Yes, ma'am nine-one-one and nine-eleven are the same thing.
    Caller: Honey, I may be old, but I'm not stupid.

Dispatcher: 911 What's the nature of your emergency?
    Caller: My wife is pregnant and her contractions are only two minutes apart
    Dispatcher: Is this her first child?
    Caller: No, you idiot! This is her husband!
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    I hope you don't mind a little from a non-LEO:

Caller: Someone broke into my house and took a bite out of my ham and cheese sandwich.
    Dispatcher: Excuse me?
    Caller: I made a ham and cheese sandwich and left it on the kitchen table and when I came back from the bathroom, someone had taken a bite out of it.
    Dispatcher: Was anything else taken?
    Caller: No, but this has happened to me before and I'm sick and tired of it!
    (thread hijack *on*) I kid you not, I ran a call once where a man shot his wife to death because she ate the last piece of fried chicken. And she's the one who cooked it.

That must have been some good chicken. But the irony is, he won't be getting anymore of it either.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. (thread hijack *off*)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i got one from working security i had a man playing peek a boo with his reflection in one of the mirrors on a site, got a call about a peeper, i roll up, and i see him popping up and down in the window shouting, PEEK A BOO, PEEK A BOO, and covering and uncovering his face. I walked up and asked what he was doing and his response, are you stupid, im playing peek a boo.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    (thread hijack *on*) I kid you not, I ran a call once where a man shot his wife to death because she ate the last piece of fried chicken.
    Man, that's jacked up! Took a life over something like that. I hope that dude suffers beyond belief.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Cool

(thread jack (*on *) I had a call where a nephew stabbed his uncle in the heart with a steak knife and killed him on Thanksgiving Day several years ago over who was going to get the last drumstick from the turkey....... (thread jack *off*)

I really dislike parking complaints. You want to start some crap write a parking ticket and let the owner come back before you get to leave. They all have reasons why "I had to park in the violation area and you need to get more spaces and it's to long a walk to the cleaners from the lot and there's no fire trucks here that need to park in the Fire Lane and I was only in the "Disabled Space" a minute and on and on.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I'll get you started.

"I want you to make my husband/boyfriend/etc stop hitting me but I don't want him arrested and I don't want you to hurt him."

Is this an emergency? "Yes, there is a barking dog/loud music/arguement/loud car next door."

"There is a giant rat in my back yard."

"There is a police car outside and the radio is too loud."

^^^^^IN bold^^^^^^^^^^^^

ROTFLMAO!

Should have cuffed her, and took her downtown, on charges of blatent and outright obvious stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    i got one from working security i had a man playing peek a boo with his reflection in one of the mirrors on a site, got a call about a peeper, i roll up, and i see him popping up and down in the window shouting, PEEK A BOO, PEEK A BOO, and covering and uncovering his face. I walked up and asked what he was doing and his response, are you stupid, im playing peek a boo.

^^^^^^^^^^^^UMM,^^^^^^^^^^^

Ah forget it, Bumper has no beefs with me as far as I know, so why start something now.

Should try to find his parents and charge them with dirtying the gene pool though.

Other than that, I got 'nuthing.

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're
    ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'*
    * -Ronald Reagan
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Man, have times changed… I was a LEO when the Smith’ and Colt ruled the streets while the Hells Angels and Iron Horseman were the drug runners of the day. I can’t recall much in the way of stupid calls. Sure, we would get the old standby of ‘barking dog’ calls but nothing really stood out. Today with the advent of 911 and cell phones, combined with ‘no child left behind’ we now have a markedly less intelligent society.

As it is, I do enjoy reading some of these hilarious calls.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    I too hate the telephone harassment calls, but my least favorite calls are the vehicle lock-outs (at LEAST 3 a day), and anytime a complainant calls anything in, but refuses to write a statement. That annoys me beyond compare.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

It is always the domestic cases that are the worst or the funniest if you have the time to enjoy them. We are a small town but we sit on the freeway, and it seems that we are about half way between all major towns with in 100 miles. So there are a lot of separated parents that exchange their little prisoners here. And boy some of them can not get along. For six months we would get a call Friday night or Sunday night every other weekend. “I have driven all the way from *there* and they are 10 minutes late and I want them arrested” or they made me come here 30 minutes early……” An each time we try to tell them that it is a civil matter and we can not do anything unless they are making threats or trying to harm someone. “Well you ought to do something!”

One father took to waiting at the tavern at the other end of the block from the police station so we could walk over and deal with his wife when she showed up if need be.

But one of my favorites was one young lady who called and wanted an officer there because her ex-what-ever was to pick up the child and was being “mean” and she did not want to let the child go.

6:07:30 Dispatch- shift Sgt.: Lady called from gas station, problem with ex-what-ever, said he is being mean and she does not want to let the child go and needs an officer.

6:07:35 shift Sgt- Dispatch in route two blocks away, did she give a description of vehicle.

6:07:40 Dispatch – shift Sgt. : blue pick-up truck.

645 shift Sgt – Dispatch : on site

655 shift Sgt.- Dispatch I do not see anyone here matching , wait there is someone around the side let, me check.

6 10 shift Sgt. – Dispatch : that was not them can you call the lady back and check location

615 dispatch –shift Sgt. 10-4

645 Dispatch – shift Sgt : I contacted the young lady and even though ex-what-ever was mean she apparently has let the child go with him and was rather annoyed that I called her back.
    Last edited by JAG45; January 8th, 2011 at 02:11 PM.

["It is always the domestic cases that are the worst or the funniest if you have the time to enjoy them"]

I was riding with my brother 10-15 years ago (Ride Along) He got a call about a nieghbor disturbence.
    We got to the house , My bro said come on but DON"T laughf, I said ok, We are walking to the door and lady comes
    out and sais Officer my neighbor has radar pointing at my house & when I get out of shower it leaves soap scum on my back. Bro looks at me I'm about to bust a gut so I walk to car & hear bro say Look I'll go over ther and pull the plug on
    radar, Lady said Oh no she got radar like yall do and it runs off batteries

I'm at car & neighbor asked me yall get calls from her all the time? Before I had ansewrd, the lady tries to get the neighbor & bro had to hold on to her, Got her to calm down & we Left. No calls back that night ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Moderator
    Several months ago, we had a rash of alarms go off in the Dollar General store. These alarms were happening on each shift, several times a day,afternoon and night,and it was driving everyone berserk.
    Anytime an alarm went off, an officer was dispatched and the owner of the store was notified to make a note of anything that was amiss.

Even the County Deputies assisted us on several occasions and the prevailing thought was that someone was messing with us, in hopes that we would quit responding to false alarms, thus setting us up, so that as soon as we stopped responding, then they would break in and get what they wanted. This was discussed with all affected officers, and we made it our personal goal to catch whoever it was doing the deed.

As you can imagine, the owner of the store was getting a bit impatient. Being awakened several times a night, as well as getting his dinner interrupted on more than one occasion, he was beginning to think us all incompetent for failing to catch the culprit and even made mention of the fact.

So, we started staking the place out. The only problem was,it was located next to the main street that goes through town and there was no way to keep a visual on it and remain hidden. We couldn't eyeball the store without everyone knowing where we were, so we had to park a block or so away and just sit and wait for the alarm to go off and hope that we could get there in time to catch the offender.

For several days the alarm would go off and we'd drive like scalded dogs to the store hoping to see someone, anyone, or a fleeing vehicle in which to pursue....we were looking for ANYTHING and looking hard.

As it happens, one of the officers just happened to be cruising by the store when the alarm went off. He got the dispatch, and whipped into the parking lot and was there less than 5 seconds after he got the dispatch. He sees nothing,checks the front doors to see if they were still locked and then drives around the back. Nothing.

This puzzled him somewhat so he called the Chief around 3 in the morning and informed him of the situation. The Chief, thinking that something in the store was causing it, awoke the owner and they soon met the owner at the store to enter the store and do a walk around. It was time to end this, he said.

All three of them walked around the store looking for something obvious that could have been setting off the alarm. After circling the store numerous times and investigating every thing that came to mind, they gave up and agreed that something was going to have to be done to the alarm and the owner agreed to have the alarm company check it that next morning. As they were walking out, the heater kicked on. When the heater fired up it sound like a jet aircraft spinning up its engines. The Deputy, the last one out the door, just happened to look back and saw a metal rack that contained helium balloons.One of those balloons had gotten loose and the string was caught on the top of the metal rack. The heater duct would blow on that balloon and since it was unrestrained, it would move it all over the place, thus activating one of the motion detectors set up to detect anyone dropping through the ceiling.

He saw it and they put the balloon back in the rack where it belonged. They even kicked the heat on and off a few times to make sure that they found the culprit. There was no alarm.

Our night shift Deputy was the local hero and and even got an honorable mention on the front page of the local paper, and that was the end of the false alarms that the Dollar General Store.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Loud noise complaints , where the noise cannot be heard from the outside. Or when its caused by people walking in the apt above the complaintant, causing the flr to creak or normal footsteps to be heard. I mean do these people think that noone else exists around the Apartment Complex?!

LFAs. (Larceny for automobile). People have more money invested in their car stereo and rims than the car is worth, play that loud crap all day, and then act suprised when someone steals it. They want you to try to fingerprint the vehicle and do not understand when you tell them its gonna be hard to catch whoever did this, but they dont even have insurance on the car, let alone the contents.

Most annoying? Harassment: "yea ma baby daddy is keeps uh callin diz other hoe and I tole him uh stop but he says he aint even doin it" OR "my ex girlfriend called me a loser on facebook" and I wanna "put a warrant on him"

Runner up: Disorder preventions: Can you meet me at the McDonalds so I can meet my ex wife there so I can pick up my kid?

Honorable mention: Delayed assaults: "This girl hit me at the club" (when?) "last week" (do you know who it was?) "no, but i want to put a warrant on her"

A funny one: the guy who locked himself INSIDE his house. Intoxicated to say the least

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links