Gulf War Vets - Page 2

Gulf War Vets

This is a discussion on Gulf War Vets within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm If you think about it, it was a very unique time and circumstances. It was the first real serious conflict America ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gulf War Vets

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If you think about it, it was a very unique time and circumstances. It was the first real serious conflict America had been in since Vietnam, it was the first time all
    three Marine Divisions were mobilized since WW2, and we were facing what was the 4th largest army in the world, totally equipted by the Soviets. The world watched as it was dismantled in 4 days, and the Soviets crapped their pants when they saw the superiority of our equipment to theirs. Shortly thereafter, the Berlin Wall came down.
    Not bad for a military that was untested and spent most of it's time training in the bush or forest.
    I remember going into Kuwaiit and being told no prisoners, if they are Republican Guard, they go down. Anybody here there for the creation of Hell Highway?
    I never even set foot in Kuwait. We went up into Iraq and set of for Baghdad. Never made it, they pulled the plug on us too early. It was a hell of a ride and I was scared to the point of not caring. Fortunately the end was anticlimactic for my mission.
    They beat it into or heads that the Soviet tanks would roll over us with out slowing down so we'd better get them before they saw us! Wow did we have them out classed in all ways. Superior equipment, training and discipline. Our armored boys proved that in spades.

One of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen is the dance of an ugly as hell A10 Wart Hog. Pure grace in the air!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I was at Myrtle Beach and Osan during my career and was told by Warthog drivers at both places that there many things they could do, but paying for a drink in an "Army" bar was nearly impossible. What a great airframe!
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Yeah, I always felt like like I had an angel on my shoulder when I would see the Cobra gunships above me spewing out hell fire on things ahead we could not see.

VIP Member
    I was in Basic Training for pretty much the entirety of the conflict. We were, of course, all convinced that we would be heading over there right after training, but it was over before boot camp was.

(P.S. Glockman, the wall came down in late 1989 - a year plus before we went into Iraq the first time).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce
    I was at Myrtle Beach and Osan during my career and was told by Warthog drivers at both places that there many things they could do, but paying for a drink in an "Army" bar was nearly impossible. What a great airframe!
    I can't vouch for the veracity of this story I was told while training as a C130 crew Chief at Sheppard Air Base 15 years later.

Evidently the A10 had been set for decommissioning when a young female pilot succsefully completed her mission and returned safely in one which had been damaged severely. Whether by ack-ack or in a dog fight, I do not know. The damage was loss of 1/3 of her wing surface and one engine! The airframe was promptly removed from the chopping block

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    (P.S. Glockman, the wall came down in late 1989 - a year plus before we went into Iraq the first time).
    Yeah, the Russian army was an ally in the Shield/Storm. I didn't catch that one! The wall came down about 6 months after I left Pfullendorf. I was sure glad I got out Europe before that happened. What a logistic nightmare that must have been!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

In... and feeling old

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I can't vouch for the veracity of this story I was told while training as a C130 crew Chief at Sheppard Air Base 15 years later.

Evidently the A10 had been set for decommissioning when a young female pilot succsefully completed her mission and returned safely in one which had been damaged severely. Whether by ack-ack or in a dog fight, I do not know. The damage was loss of 1/3 of her wing surface and one engine! The airframe was promptly removed from the chopping block
    Here's a Wiki Article as well a second. Can't verify that this incident had an affect on the CSAF's decisions regarding the A-10, but it couldn't have hurt!
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yeah, I always felt like like I had an angel on my shoulder when I would see the Cobra gunships above me spewing out hell fire on things ahead we could not see.
    Not trying to get this off topic, on rain on all your guys' parade. But my uncle was a Marine in the 80s and 90s, and I remember him telling me one time: "The Air Force has some cool planes, but when you are really in the stuff, it's gonna be Marine Cobras that save your butt, and do anything to help you." I was about 14-15 when he told me that. Fast forward 10 years, and I was in a ditch with my squad while taking some moderate enemy fire. Air support kept got denied once or twice, and as soon as it was approved, a couple of Marine Cobra's came screaming in with rockets and guns blazing, right where we needed the rounds. One of the first things that popped in my mind was how right my uncle was.

Those pilots had just been itching to rain down some hate for us. It always made me feel good to see that we had Cobras in support, they aren't the newest, or fanciest, but I think it is just a Marine thing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    Here's a Wiki Article as well a second. Can't verify that this incident had an affect on the CSAF's decisions regarding the A-10, but it couldn't have hurt!
    Looks like the wing surface damage was exaggerated in the story I was told. Still an exceptional job by Capt. Campbell and a testament to the design.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I was in Basic Training for pretty much the entirety of the conflict. We were, of course, all convinced that we would be heading over there right after training, but it was over before boot camp was.

Ok, then its confirmed, my mind is going.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Those pilots had just been itching to rain down some hate for us. It always made me feel good to see that we had Cobras in support, they aren't the newest, or fanciest, but I think it is just a Marine thing.
    I have heard from some buddies of mine that Marine Aviators take it real personally when you shoot at their Grunts, it's like a Momma Bear to her cubs.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I was flying med-evac. Great job but it sure was hot as hell over there!

One day I'm working in the OR as a surgical tech in the Army hospital at Ft Devens (MA), two days later I am in-processing with the 2nd MASH at Ft Benning (GA) and a week later I am sleeping in a tent...guess where... yup, Tent City (SA). Spent most of my time at KKMC and Log Base Charlie. Drove over 4K miles in a 5-Ton truck, before the ground war, delivering the new Deployable Medical System hospitals (DEPMEDS) to other medical units that were already in country. We were one of the few units with the type of dolly system required to haul the containers.

I remember the huge traffic jam driving into Iraq; I think we were on the road a couple of days. By the time we got to our AO the ground war was over. Of course, we did what any good medical unit would do when they no longer have a mission, play volleyball.

On a more serious note, I will not miss having to wear that freaking MOPP gear for days at a time and running to the underground bunkers every time Sadam would shoot a Scud our way. Wow, 20 years!!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    ... It always made me feel good to see that we had Cobras in support, they aren't the newest, or fanciest, but I think it is just a Marine thing.
    Semper Fi 88-92
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Cool

Thank you and God Bless to all those that served and are still serving.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links