Woman slaps Police horse

This is a discussion on Woman slaps Police horse within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 64zebra she is lucky the horse didn't slap her back with a hoof to the face No doubt! Too funny....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woman slaps Police horse

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    she is lucky the horse didn't slap her back with a hoof to the face
    No doubt! Too funny.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

I'd like to see her subpoena the horse to testify..

I have also seen police horses in both NYC and New Orleans indiscriminately and aggressively move people in crowds even those who were innocent and just trying to move through the crowd to go home. I guess in new America they have the right to slam an animal that weighs hundreds of pounds into you, and can kill you or cause serious bodily harm, at will just because they have a badge and you don't and if you even so much as try to defend yourself, you go to jail. How dare you!

However in this incident it seems they were unruly and did not just leave so they were NOT innocent

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news...g-police-horse

Six said her and a group of friends were leaving Dirty Nellie's in downtown St. Petersburg when a police officer told them to leave.

According to Six, she didn't understand why and continued to wait for one of her friends, who was in an altercation and later tased, which is when the two officers came in on their horses.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I have also seen police horses in both NYC and New Orleans indiscriminately and aggressively move people in crowds even those who were innocent and just trying to move through the crowd to go home.
    Okay... Is anyone truly innocent at Mardi Gras?

Just sayin'
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

Just sayin'

That made me laugh.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I have also seen police horses in both NYC and New Orleans indiscriminately and aggressively move people in crowds even those who were innocent and just trying to move through the crowd to go home.
    Are we sure its the horse's fault and not the rider's fault? The indiscriminate part. I've seen that too in NYC. There was a mounted unit not too far from where I lived and they weren't particularly careful of pedestrians and bicyclists when just exercising the horses. I've also seen aggressive use of the horse during ordinary patrols of parks.

I hope there is some video somewhere, but regardless, a horse is not a fine instrument and it has a huge mass, and bringing it into contact with a human is a highly dangerous move unless serious and maybe lethal force is warranted.

Maybe some folks view crowd control as just one mass instance of disparity of force, I don't know, but IMO regardless of what the lady did she shouldn't have been subjected to the level of risk achieved here, or to the punitive actions taken against her.

Hopyard (quote)

"Maybe some folks view crowd control as just one mass instance of disparity of force, I don't know, but IMO regardless of what the lady did she shouldn't have been subjected to the level of risk achieved here, or to the punitive actions taken against her."

A reasonable opinion, until one has been confronted by or in the midst of an uruly crowd/mob/riot that did not like you or your presence, a few times. I don't think that the level of risk from a trained equine is as great as suggested.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Hopyard (quote)

"Maybe some folks view crowd control as just one mass instance of disparity of force, I don't know, but IMO regardless of what the lady did she shouldn't have been subjected to the level of risk achieved here, or to the punitive actions taken against her."

A reasonable opinion, until one has been confronted by or in the midst of an uruly crowd/mob/riot that did not like you or your presence, a few times. I don't think that the level of risk from a trained equine is as great as suggested.
    What's a horse weigh? Would nudging someone with a comparable weight vehicle be acceptable?

An average horse weighs from 900 to 1100 lbs. While granted, a more aggrivated situation, I have done considerably more than nudge with a vehicle weighing 3-4000 lbs.

I have been put into the rails while handling my horses and broke ribs, and he didn't mean it.... another friend suffered brain injury many years ago

I have never worked a crowd where law enforcement horses were used but I have worked large crowds where I wished there had been some around. Add alcohol and large groups of young individuals and it becomes very apparent that unless you can convience them that it would be in their best interest to obey the directions of law enforcement you can be in deep crap in a very short period of time. A strong show of force is usually needed to get desired complience. I feel that if law enforcement acting under color of law is giving lawful directions and people decide that they do not want to comply then it is on them to suffer the consequences of their actions. If your gonna be dumb you best be tough. Just my $.02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I think the margin of error in using a horse for police work is too great.

I think that some discretion should be used when employing a horse. Personally, I would be concerned about injuries to the horse re rocks, bottles, knives, etc.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I think that some discretion should be used when employing a horse. Personally, I would be concerned about injuries to the horse re rocks, bottles, knives, etc.
    I'm not opposed to using horses for crowd control, but pinning a person between a horse and a wall is no different than pinning them between a car and a wall. The risk v the threat v the type of crime all need to be factored in. Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn't.

I've once worked with some veterinarians who studied lead toxicity in horses. I sure never wanted to be in a pen with one
    of those horses even when they were OK, just controls. Just too darn dangerous because of the size difference. I'm with Bubba21 on this one. Not enough margin for error. (I've worked with cattle too, not the nice dairy cows, the beef animals. Just dangerous, because of the size. I can't believe my cowboy-rancher friend who ranches for a living hasn't been killed yet. But then he grew up doing that work.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

Just sayin'
    Just those without beads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links