Crime-ridden Camden, N.J., cuts police force nearly in half

This is a discussion on Crime-ridden Camden, N.J., cuts police force nearly in half within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/18/new....html?hpt=Sbin The mayor of crime-ridden Camden, New Jersey, has announced layoffs of nearly half of the city's police force and close to a third of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crime-ridden Camden, N.J., cuts police force nearly in half

Crime-ridden Camden, N.J., cuts police force nearly in half

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/18/new....html?hpt=Sbin

The mayor of crime-ridden Camden, New Jersey, has announced layoffs of nearly half of the city's police force and close to a third of its fire department.

One hundred sixty-eight police officers and 67 firefighters were laid off Tuesday, as officials struggle to close a $26.5 million budget gap through a series of belt-tightening measures, Mayor Dana Redd told reporters. The layoffs take effect immediately.

Redd said she was unable to secure the $8 million in budget concessions that she says she needed to save the jobs of up to 100 police officers and many of the city's firefighters.

The mayor -- who said she will continue negotiations with police and fire
    unions -- had been asking the workers to pay more for their health care, freeze or reduce their salaries and take furlough days.

The apparent impasse has left administrators of a city with the second-highest crime rate in the nation scrambling to figure out solutions to keep residents safe. Camden is second only to St. Louis, Missouri, in annual rankings of cities based on compilations of FBI crime statistics.

Some clerical officers were demoted and reassigned to the streets, the mayor said, pledging that the cuts would not affect public safety.

"We're still going to protect our residents," said Robert Corrales, spokesman for Redd. Public safety "will remain our top concern. We'll shift our resources to be more efficient with what we have."

But police and firefighter union officials say the layoffs will most certainly have an impact.

"It's absolutely, physically impossible to cover the same amount of ground in the same amount of time with less people," said John Williamson, president of the Fraternal Order of Police union in Camden. "Response times will be slower."

One local business owner, David Brown, said he does not "understand how you can do more with less."

"I don't want to be a pessimist, but I can't be optimistic."

Camden resident and sanitation worker Gloria Valentin said she is now fearful that the city does not have enough police protection to keep people safe.

"Today is a real sad day in the city of Camden," she said.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

2. Remove Ads

It's all strategic. Cut the cops and firefighters in order to anger citizens and get them ready to accept tax hikes.

We can't cut waste in other area's, we have to scare the folks by cutting their police and fire forces.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    It's all strategic. Cut the cops and firefighters in order to anger citizens and get them ready to accept tax hikes.

We can't cut waste in other area's, we have to scare the folks by cutting their police and fire forces.
    This is pretty much standard. It has a proven success rate.

Michael

After slashing the Police force, these mayor's go on TV and blame gun violence on Virginias Gun show loopholes.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Smart move! What nimrods!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

There should be no issue, NJ has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, according to Mayor Daley and his cronies in the mayors against guns there should be no violence in Camden as a result of this. The law abiding people are safe due to these wonderful laws as criminals will check their guns at the states borders.

VIP Member
    this makes me

their crime rate is through the roof already
    they have strict gun laws yet the gun violence is ridiculous
    last weekend known gang members were seen wearing shirts saying: "1-18-11, we take back the streets"
    their SWAT team is now down from 21 officers to 10
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member
    The crime rate should now go down... there won't be as many people to take the reports.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

The citizens of Camden get the gov't they voted for....any complaints should fall on deaf ears.

If they don't like the way the city/state is run....they have three choices: Fix it themselves, Move, or Live with it....it's these mentally handicapped people who decide to move to my state and try to change it to the way they had it "at home" are what causes problems in freedom loving states...

Tough cookies Camden
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    The citizens of Camden get the gov't they voted for....any complaints should fall on deaf ears.

If they don't like the way the city/state is run....they have three choices: Fix it themselves, Move, or Live with it....it's these mentally handicapped people who decide to move to my state and try to change it to the way they had it "at home" are what causes problems in freedom loving states...

Tough cookies Camden
    That sums it up..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

GM
    Very smart move . Dana Redd is either very smart or totally brain death.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

My prayers go out to the remaining force. They've got to do the job with half the staff. The ones laid off are the lucky ones. They can transfer to a sensible department.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Agreed. You can't tell me they couldn't cut something else?

Not sure about raising taxes though...I don't think there are too many productive taxpayers left there - which is a big part of their problem.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Agreed. You can't tell me they couldn't cut something else?

Not sure about raising taxes though...I don't think there are too many productive taxpayers left there - which is a big part of their problem.
    You do not have to be a productive taxpayer to tax those that are.

Michael

That's exactly right. Give me the budget and watch me cut in wasteful areas.
    Like the five city employees leaning on shovels while one guy digs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links