Detroit police video of precinct shoot-out:

This is a discussion on Detroit police video of precinct shoot-out: within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Detroit police video of precinct shoot-out: Disturbing video footage was released by Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee on Friday, Jan. 28, 2011, showing the rampage ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Detroit police video of precinct shoot-out:

Detroit police video of precinct shoot-out:

Detroit police video of precinct shoot-out: Disturbing video footage was released by Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee on Friday, Jan. 28, 2011, showing the rampage as Lamar Moore entered a police station Jan. 23 and shot four officers before he was killed in return fire.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011012...ion-gun-battle
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

In detroit of all places I am wondering why they did not have a locked door lobby with glass and wall protecting the front desk personnel and controlled access. I am sure they will now. Glad they all survived. I bet he was using bird shot.

VIP Member
    Wow. There are a lot of lessons there, most of which re-affirm what gun fight experts already teach.

From a self-defense perspective, this reinforces that only CNS shots stop the fight. A BG can fight through lethal hits.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I don't think the perp was planning to walk away afterward. Extra dangerous.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The perp, Lamar Moore, has a criminal history. Here is an old booking photo of him:

The police were investigating him for kidnapping and raping a 13 year old girl. That is why he was so very angry with the police. He felt that they were persecuting him. He claimed that the young girl, who was a runaway, had willingly stayed with him.

It is very fortunate that no officers died, since Moore was armed with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Police suspect that Moore may have been responsible for many more rapes in the area. They are currently looking to see if they can find more victims.

VIP Member
    They need to harden their stations a bit. This was far too easy.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    He didn't like being investigated for kidnapping and rape so... he thought he would distract them with murder?

The only thing better than a stupid criminal is a stupid criminal who can't shoot.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I don't think the perp was planning to walk away afterward. Extra dangerous.
    I think the same.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

this is crazy!! im glad all police survived. i am curiuos though about what size round he shot the BG with. i was shocked to see what looked like two shots to the chest and he was still standing/walking around. they said he lost a few fingers. this is a good reason to learn to shoot with your left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by warmxd9 View Post
    this is crazy!! im glad all police survived. i am curiuos though about what size round he shot the BG with. i was shocked to see what looked like two shots to the chest and he was still standing/walking around. they said he lost a few fingers. this is a good reason to learn to shoot with your left hand.
    Handguns are not the "instant death rays" that some seem to think they are. Any weapon that is designed to be fired with only one hand is only going to be marginally effective, unless you hit the CNS.

Hand injuries are indeed very common in gunfights (and fights in general). Good reason to learn to shoot with your support hand, and to have a BUG. If your hand takes a hit, your handgun will most likely be hit as well. Even if you manage to pick it up, there is no guarnatee it will function properly. Better to grab your BUG - and hopefully you can get to it with your support hand.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

The reason that the bad guy got in as far as he did is because all personal in the building are doing just what they do every day, that is try to ignore you and maybe you will go away.

If you watch the video, you will see a station full of police officers who are in condition white. they are in their station, familiar surroundings, friends, office banter, but not on alert at all for the danger that walked right up to them. This shows that it can and does happen to anyone. Even any of us can slip into condition white. and when you are in condition white, you won't recognize danger until it has struck first.

And I agree with what others have said, they need to harden their stations. Barriers, bullet proof glass barriers. The fact that this guy could just stroll in and shoot cops in their own office is insane.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I am so glad the officers all survived. This video should become standard training for LEO and CCW training. When the SHTF there will be no warning. Your condition and training will be the deciding factors in whether you survive and/or prevail. This type of scenario needs to be practiced - where the trainee doesn't know how, where or when the attack will occur.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Wow! What a experience to live though. I think the Chief gave a great explanation as to why he released it.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Even our little town police station has an entry lobby 'sally port'. You can't get inside without permission.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links