Had a question

This is a discussion on Had a question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm trying to decide if I want to go into the Military and then Law Enforcement or straight into Law Enforcement and was wondering if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a question

Had a question

I'm trying to decide if I want to go into the Military and then Law Enforcement or straight into Law Enforcement and was wondering if it would make a difference? Would a Department be more likely to hire someone with Military experience?

I decided to go to the Police Academy because, since I have a GED, I need 670 clock hours to qualify for enlistment in the Navy. The Academy is 770 hours, and that was really the only course locally that I was interested in.

How long does a Law Enforcement certification last? Will I need to go through the Academy a 2nd time if I wait too long? Thanks in advance for any tips you might have.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    More than likely, you will need to go through an academy all over again if you wait longer than a year. Each state has their own rules. I believe Florida is a POST state, so the requirements should be easy for you to find. I say you need to go to the military first given the little bit of backround you have shared and the current job climate.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Go into military, do 10 years then go into a federal le position and buy your retirement years and enjoy life

How old are you? If not yet 21 a lot of law enforcement agencies would be hesitant to hire you even if you go through the academy. If you're 18 or 19, you may want to do the military first, then go civilian law enforcement after you get out. Just my opinion based on what's happened to a friend of mines son. He went through the local police academy at 18 and even made "Top Gun" in the academy. Yet none of the local law enforcement agencies will hire him due to his young age. He is a very well mannered young man. Healthy, strong, and a super marksman, but his age alone is keeping him from getting a position.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The only agencies I know of that have a stated preference are the federal agencies. You get extra points if you are prior military, and more if you are a disabled vet.

As far as the state/local level, it certainly doesn't hurt your resume to have military service on it. The military to LE trend seems pretty strong.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    How old are you? If not yet 21 a lot of law enforcement agencies would be hesitant to hire you even if you go through the academy. If you're 18 or 19, you may want to do the military first, then go civilian law enforcement after you get out. Just my opinion based on what's happened to a friend of mines son. He went through the local police academy at 18 and even made "Top Gun" in the academy. Yet none of the local law enforcement agencies will hire him due to his young age. He is a very well mannered young man. Healthy, strong, and a super marksman, but his age alone is keeping him from getting a position.
    I'm 22. I put off the military for personal reasons.

Administrator
    Here is a path I advise a lot to young guys wanting in, and this works even better for you because of your location; The USCG. Go to an open enrollment academy and do well. Then enlist in the CG. They might even give you a pay bump if you are Fl certified LEO. You have a much better chance of serving close to home, and you can continue your studies relatively easy.
    When you are done with your enlistment, you will have real LE experience under your belt, as well as contacts for Fl LE agencies. If I were a recruiter for an LE agency, especially one in a coastal area, I'd look a whole lot more seriously at a puddle pirate than any other branch of service. Their role is much more closely aligned with what we do; and you will pick up a whole host of skills useful to an LE career.

Sometimes the who you know is just as important as what you know.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I suggest the military route first. The Florida FDLE Criminal Justice Certificate last four years and you need to do 40 hours each four years to keep it active. Military preference is great to have on a employment app.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

My son is in the LEO Academy right now. He has three and a half weeks under his belt, with 13 and a half to go. He is 19 now and, as tkruf says, he can't be hired into our local police force until 21. But, in his case, he will continue college to finish his bachelor degree, and the school police will hire him at his age.He is okay with that, with his long term goal being Federal position. I will agree with the others too; military will take you a long way if that is your choice.
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Doc View Post
    My son is in the LEO Academy right now. He has three and a half weeks under his belt, with 13 and a half to go. He is 19 now and, as tkruf says, he can't be hired into our local police force until 21. But, in his case, he will continue college to finish his bachelor degree, and the school police will hire him at his age.He is okay with that, with his long term goal being Federal position. I will agree with the others too; military will take you a long way if that is your choice.
    The friend of mines, son, got a position (unarmed) through a (contract company.. i.e. temp position) out at a power plant. When he turns 21 he will go full time permanent and be making over $20 an hour (I believe) with benefits etc, and will be carrying an AR15 all day at work. Got his foot in the door. This was actually the goal his dad had in mind for him in the first place. He will be able to retire from that job.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The Air Force Air Police was the only thing that got me onto the DE State Police. I'm 5'9" tall and you had to be 6' and they took me due to the Military Police training.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

+1. It's not who you are it's who you know.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Here is a path I advise a lot to young guys wanting in, and this works even better for you because of your location; The USCG. Go to an open enrollment academy and do well. Then enlist in the CG. They might even give you a pay bump if you are Fl certified LEO. You have a much better chance of serving close to home, and you can continue your studies relatively easy.
    When you are done with your enlistment, you will have real LE experience under your belt, as well as contacts for Fl LE agencies. If I were a recruiter for an LE agency, especially one in a coastal area, I'd look a whole lot more seriously at a puddle pirate than any other branch of service. Their role is much more closely aligned with what we do; and you will pick up a whole host of skills useful to an LE career.

Actually, I was considering the Coast Guard for the exact reasons you stated. I'd like to get selected for a spot on one of the MSSTs. Either that or be a Gunner's Mate.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Actually, I was considering the Coast Guard for the exact reasons you stated. I'd like to get selected for a spot on one of the MSSTs. Either that or be a Gunner's Mate.
    Check and see if there is a PSU unit near home. I'm sure there would be. That would be your best route if that is what you want out of the USCG.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Is that a unit made up of Nittany Lions? Ok seriously, what does PSU mean?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links