Army Sets Sights on New Rifle

This is a discussion on Army Sets Sights on New Rifle within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wall Street and Upgraded Weapon Trials: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...editorsPicks_1 For the first time in almost 50 years, the U.S. Army wants to replace the standard rifle shouldered ...

Thread: Army Sets Sights on New Rifle

Post Army Sets Sights on New Rifle

Wall Street and Upgraded Weapon Trials:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...editorsPicks_1

For the first time in almost 50 years, the U.S. Army wants to replace the standard rifle shouldered by hundred of thousands of frontline troops around the world.
    Col. Doug Tamilio, the service's project manager for soldier weapons, said in a statement the Army sought to find "the most effective, accurate, and reliable" weapon for its soldiers. "We're challenging industry to develop the next-generation carbine and we're looking forward to the results."
    An "industry day" for small-arms manufacturers is planned for March 30. The Army said it would pick a winner after two years of rigorous evaluation. Gerald Dinkel, the president and CEO of Colt Defense LLC, said the Army has "held out the M4 as a high standard, and somebody is going have to come out and really beat it."

Last year, the service began field trials of the XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System, an advanced grenade launcher equipped with a laser range finder and onboard computer.

It fires a programmable 25mm round that is designed to go off just aboveóor just behind ó its target. The concept is to create a lethal weapon that can hit enemies behind cover.
    "Precision weaponry is going to get really personal," Mr. Carafano said. "You're eventually going to see an individual soldier dropping a round down a chimney."
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

2. Remove Ads

Be interesting to watch.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I've heard of rounds being developed that will go off above a target, that would be pretty cool (at east until someone else gets it).

That weapon looks heavy and cumbersome to me.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

*sigh*

I'll believe it when I see it. We've been down this road so many times before...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    For the first time in almost 50 years, the U.S. Army wants to replace the standard rifle shouldered by hundred of thousands of frontline troops around the world.[/IMG]
    Anyone remember the XM8, the LSAT, or the 2006 carbine competition?

As far as I'm concerned, they just use these announcements as a method of contract negotiation with Colt. Colt lowers its price per unit, and greases a few palms, and then it's business as usual, except for the several companies that spend millions developing new designs that are subsequently discarded. It happens every couple years, and never goes anywhere.

XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System
    I saw some footage of this (XM25) and it looked awesome. The rounds are very expensive, but if it works well, what can it save?
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Biggest issue I see with that weapons system, is what happens when you need to switch engagement modes and go in for CQB. Thats the same problem that happened when they started fielding the M-32 grenade launcher. It would be great in firefights, but then the Marines would need to go clear buildings, and you can't do that with that weapon. And ounces equals pounds, and pounds equals pain, so you aren't going to want to carry that and an M-4.

I think a better solution, would be keep the round and capabilities, and figure out a way to make it into an attachment weapon, like the M-203.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Biggest issue I see with that weapons system, is what happens when you need to switch engagement modes and go in for CQB. Thats the same problem that happened when they started fielding the M-32 grenade launcher. It would be great in firefights, but then the Marines would need to go clear buildings, and you can't do that with that weapon. And ounces equals pounds, and pounds equals pain, so you aren't going to want to carry that and an M-4.

I think a better solution, would be keep the round and capabilities, and figure out a way to make it into an attachment weapon, like the M-203.
    I think that M-32 would work cqb with a big buckshot load. :)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think that M-32 would work cqb with a big buckshot load. :)
    But not if you have to stop and change out all the shells, and it is far to slow to reload for CQB. Urban combat is all about momentum, and being dynamic, which a weapon system like that of the XM 25 don't really seem to allow. Granted, not all wars are urban, but I want a weapon that can do both.

I searched high and low for some 40mm buckshot rounds while I had a 203, couldn't find any, just had to stick with HEDP.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I searched high and low for some 40mm buckshot rounds while I had a 203, couldn't find any, just had to stick with HEDP.
    M576 Cartridge, 40mm, Multiple Projectile (Buckshot)

With 27 00 Buckshot, imagine firing one off in a 10'x10' reinforced concrete room (EVERY room in Iraq). See why you couldn't find them? They were great in Vietnam in brush and reed huts, not so great in concrete built MOUT environments.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...tions/m576.htm

P.S. The above sight is for Super High Speed SKATErs only. Enjoy! (I did...)
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

VIP Member
    But not if you have to stop and change out all the shells, and it is far to slow to reload for CQB. Urban combat is all about momentum, and being dynamic, which a weapon system like that of the XM 25 don't really seem to allow. Granted, not all wars are urban, but I want a weapon that can do both.

OK that make sense I guess. I was just thinking about the short term firepower. Maybe I can get one to replace my Mossy 500 for HD. 6 rounds of 40mm buckshot with HE in the side saddle. :)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Keep the same weapon platform, run piston driven 5.56 or 7.62 depending upon mission and AO.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Keep the same weapon platform, run piston driven 5.56 or 7.62 depending upon mission and AO.
    +1 on this. I have been saying this for a long time now.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links