Things police want you to know.

This is a discussion on Things police want you to know. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I normally never will post things like this, as it's usually an annoying chain email everyone has seen 5 times before it gets posted. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things police want you to know.

Administrator

I normally never will post things like this, as it's usually an annoying chain email everyone has seen 5 times before it gets posted. I have seen this before, but it still makes me chuckle a little everytime.

Your 5 year old kid getting pushed down by another 5 year old kid is NOT a police matter; talk to the other kid's parents, not the police.

If your kid won't do his homework or do his chores, 9-1-1 is not the answer.

If a cop causes a car accident we usually get a ticket, and sometimes we get suspended. When is the last time you got 3 days off (without pay) for rear-ending a guy at Walmart?

If you think you can fan all the pot smoke out of the car before we smell it, good luck.

We know you've had more than two beers. When I've had two beers, I didn't hit six parked cars, drive my car through the front doors of a Toys-R-Us, pee my pants or pass out at a traffic light.

When you see an emergency vehicle behind you with its lights and sirens on, pull to the RIGHT, and stop. We are usually required to pass cars on the left.

When you're driving in the fast lane and you see a cop behind you, don't go 5 MPH under the speed limit. We are not impressed by how safe of a driver you can be, we're trying to go help someone (or catch that guy in the SUV that just cut you off). Safely move over and let us pass ... Please.

If you get a warning instead of a ticket from a motorcycle cop, go buy a lottery ticket, because you've already beaten the odds.

When you see an officer conducting a traffic stop, or with a suspect in handcuffs, it is generally not a good idea to approach him and ask for directions. If you do, don't expect the officer to be nice when he tells you to get lost, and don't expect the officer to take the time to explain.

Here's how to get out of a ticket. Don't break the law.

If you drive a piece of crap, that is why you're getting pulled over.

In one week I pulled over 10 cars for minor traffic violations. 5 out of 10 had no vehicle insurance. 3 out of 10 had suspended driver's licenses. 2 out of 10 had warrants. 1 out of 10 had felony warrants. 1 was a known sex offender with his 12 year old niece in the car without her mother's knowledge.

If you've just been pulled over doing 70 in a 35, do not greet the officer with, "What seems to be the problem, officer?"

We get coffee breaks too, and sometimes we even run into stores and do some shopping during them.

When you're the victim of a burglary, take the time you spend waiting for the officer to find the model number and the serial number of the stuff that was taken.

Some cops are just jerks, but take heart in the fact that other cops don't like them either.

If it's nighttime and you're driving a vehicle with tinted windows and I pull you over, it's not because of your skin color. I usually can't tell if the vehicle even has a driver until the window’s rolled down.

Every time you hear on the news about people running away from a crazed gunman, remember that someone's son or daughter in a police uniform is running TOWARD that crazed gunman.

Yes, it's true, cops usually don't give other cops tickets. Think of it as an employee discount, perk or a benefit of the job. Other cops are family and you wouldn't give your brother a ticket if you were a cop either.

If your local police agency has a helicopter, everyone knows it's loud and annoying, but did you know it can cover the same area as 20 patrol officers and safely chase criminals that are driving 90 MPH through city streets. Many times the guy has no idea it's there and slows down.

Police work is.... Writing reports.

If you rob a gas station you're surely only going to get about $100, but if I get to see a K9 dog use your arm as a chew toy, for all I care you can keep the $100.

In one year of patrol work in a large city, only about ten minutes would be cool enough to be on the television show Cops.

Every traffic stop could end in gunfire, but we have to be polite and professional until that time.

I've taken about the same amount of men and women to jail for domestic violence, so NO, it's not always the man.

People love firefighters.

If the light was yellow, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Cops know you pay taxes and that your taxes pay cops' salaries. Cops also pay taxes, which also pay cops' salaries so, hey, this traffic stop is on me. Now sign here and press hard, there are four copies.

Police Officers...our job is to protect your butt, not kiss it.

Remember the two places you are always welcome - Church and Grandma's house!

Now, shall we take bets on whose the first to get their panties all twisted over this post?
    "Just blame Sixto"

That is mind-boggling.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    We know you've had more than two beers. When I've had two beers, I didn't hit six parked cars, drive my car through the front doors of a Toys-R-Us, pee my pants or pass out at a traffic light.
    Two pitchers is two beers right? I mean if I don't pour them into a glass first. Right?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ... Now, shall we take bets on whose the first to get their panties all twisted over this post?
    LOL. Good stuff. I'm betting someone goes ballistic over this one: "Yes, it's true, cops usually don't give other cops tickets. Think of it as an employee discount, perk or a benefit of the job. Other cops are family and you wouldn't give your brother a ticket if you were a cop either."

And I'm betting I can guess who it will be.

BTW, I suspect this is largely why the military has MP's. For coasties, it isn't an MOS. Most of us shared that duty while were in foreign ports. I rescue my ship mate out of a bar fight one night, and he does the same for me when he has duty the next night.

VIP Member
    I was thinking it would be over the
    If you drive a piece of crap, that is why you're getting pulled over.
    line.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Sounds good to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

We know you've had more than two beers.

Actually had a co-worker that used this one, it was funny, the officer calmly replied and just how big were those beers Mr. XXX? Just for the record there was no property damage (thankfully) he'd just neglected to use his turn indicators more than once and "slowed down" for a stop sign.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Senior Moderator
    You're not alone in the two beers thing.

I swear, someplace in the county where I ran EMS, there was a secret drinking establishment that served beer in 1 gallon steins. No matter how blotto-drunk a guy was, he'd always had "two beers"........
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I said this in a thread once and it was shut down for cop bashing. What gives?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "If you get a warning instead of a ticket from a motorcycle cop, go buy a lottery ticket, because you've already beaten the odds."

Amen to that one! I think all motorcycle cops are in a bad mood from: A. having to ride in the rain; B. Some redneck just chunked a glob of "chaw" out the window as he was riding alongside; C. a flock of seagulls emptied their bowels as they flew over him.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for posting it may help to give insight into our job that others who have not been there may not have considered.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Administrator
    Great post SIXTO.

VIP Member
    Good stuff Sixto, real good read. I enjoyed it.

I am a probation officer so kinda part LEO part civilian in my duties. Several famliy members who are actual LEO, and I work very closely with a LOT of LEO. So I get and understand everything he is saying in this post. Its kind of the same mentality I deal with in my offenders. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Officer, I SWEAR as God is my witness, That tree jumped right in front of me, And I couldn't stop in time.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links