Letter to the public from a Police Officer

This is a discussion on Letter to the public from a Police Officer within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Watch out for the CSI effect. There is no machine that we can drop an eyelash into and come up with the DNA profile,fingerprints and ...

Thread: Letter to the public from a Police Officer

CHPBill

Watch out for the CSI effect. There is no machine that we can drop an
    eyelash into and come up with the DNA profile,fingerprints and mug shot of
    the owner in 2 minutes.

When you see an emergency vehicle behind you with its lights and sirens on:
    pull to the RIGHT, and Stop. We are usually required to pass cars on the
    left.

Dunkin'donuts has much better coffee than they do doughnuts.

When you\'re driving in the fast lane and you see a cop behind you don\'t, go
    5 mph\'s under the speed limit. We are not impressed by how safe of a driver
    you can be, we\'re trying to go help someone (or catch that guy in the SUV
    that just cut you off). Safely move over and let us pass by you, please.

If you get a warning instead of a ticket from a motorcycle cop...go buy a
    lottery ticket, because you\'ve already beaten the odds.

When you see an officer conducting a traffic stop,[or with a suspect in
    handcuffs] it is generally not a good idea to approach him/her and ask for
    directions. If you do, don\'t expect the officer to be nice when he/she tells
    you to get lost, and don\'t expect the officer to take the time to
    explain. (this has happened to me twice)

If a cop causes a car accident we usually get a ticket, and sometimes we get
    suspended. When is the last time you got 3 days off [without pay] for
    rear-ending a guy at Wal-mart.

If you think you can fan all the pot smoke out of the car before we smell
    it, good luck.

We know you\'ve had more than 2 beers. I\'ve never had two beers hit six
    parked cars and driven my car through the front doors of a Toys-R-Us, pissed
    my pants, and passed out with my foot on the gas.

Here\'s how to get out of a ticket, don\'t break the law in the first place.

If you drive a piece of junk car; this is why you\'re getting pulled over. In
    one week I pulled over 10 cars for minor equipment violations.
    8 out of 10 had no vehicle insurance,
    7 out of 10 had suspended drivers licenses,
    5 out of 10 had warrants, 2 out of 10 had felony warrants,
    and 1 out of 10 was a known sex offender with his 12 year old niece in the
    car without her mothers knowledge.
    Of the 2 out of 10 that didn\'t have any other violations, one was given a
    fix-it-ticket and the other was given a warning(and if you are trying to do
    the math many had multiple violations)

If you\'ve just been pulled over how doing 70 in a 35 Do Not greet the
    officer with what seems to be the problem, officer.

We get coffee breaks too, and sometimes we run into stores and do some
    shopping during them.

When you\'re the victim of a burglary take the time you spend waiting for the
    officer to find the model #\'s and the serial #\'s of the stuff that was taken.

Some cops are just jerks, but take heart in the fact that other cops don\'t
    like them either. (Oh so true)

If it\'s nighttime and you\'re driving a vehicle with tinted windows and I
    pull you over. It\'s not because of your skin color, I usually can\'t tell if
    the vehicle even has a driver until the windows rolled down.

Cops make mistakes, and sometimes they are big mistakes.

Some cops are bad, and sometimes they\'re real bad.

Every time you hear on the news about people running away from a crazed
    gunman, someone\'s son or daughter in a blue or brown uniform is running
    TOWARD that crazed gunman.

Yes it\'s true, cops usually don\'t give other cops speeding tickets. Think of
    it as an employee discount, perk or benefit, and unless you\'re a habitual
    speeder all you ever get is a fine.

If your local police agency has a helicopter everyone knows it\'s loud and
    annoying, but did you know it can cover the same area as 15-20 patrol
    officers, and safely chase criminals that are driving 90 MPH through city
    streets. Many times the guy has no idea it\'s there and slows down.

Your 5 year old kid getting pushed down by another 5 year old kid IS NOT a
    police matter, talk to the other kids parents.

If your kid won\'t do his homework or do his chores,911 is not the answer for
    a uniformed second-string parent.

If you hit your spouse in front of your children,your children will hit
    their spouse in front of their children.

Police work is...writing reports.

If you rob a gas station you\'re only going to get $20, but I get to see a
    K-9 dog use your arm as a chew toy. For all I care you can keep the $20.

In 1 year of patrol work in a large city only about 10 minutes would be cool
    enough to be on the television show, COPS. But if COPS was about report
    writing and accident reports each show would
    be a year long.

Every traffic stop could end in gunfire, but we have to be polite and
    professional until that time.

I\'ve taken about the same amount of men/women to jail for domestic violence,
    so NO it\'s not always the man.

People love fire fighters.

Attention Victims: I need to know the WHO,WHAT,WHERE,WHEN, and HOW. Not
    what meds you\'re on or what your 15 cats have peed on.

Some cops don\'t like to be called cops. I don\'t know why, but most don\'t
    care -- we\'ve been called worse.

If you find crack pipes in the ladies purse, there is a good chance they
    belong to her.

Cops know you pay taxes and that your taxes pay cops'salaries. Cops also
    pay taxes, which also pay cops'salaries so, hey, this traffic stop is on
    me. Now sign here; press hard your making five copies.

And a Variation On The Above --- Irate Offender: My tax money pays your
    salary, so you work for me! LEO: I pay taxes, too, so I figure I\'m self-employed.

When you see an officer walk into the room, a polite greeting of Hello, how
    are you? is much more appropriate than, Uh-Oh Jim, it looks like they\'re
    here for you! or putting your arms up and exclaiming, I didn\'t do it! It
    will surely save you from looking like an unoriginal horse\'s arse.

If there are police cars, fire trucks, or ambulances at your neighbor\'s
    house then there is a problem. You don\'t need to meddle into your neighbor\'s
    business by asking us what\'s happening. Your curiosity, no matter how
    strong, is not a reason violate your neighbor\'s privacy. If it\'s something
    that YOU need to worry about, we would\'ve knocked on your door and told you.

Remember that you and I enjoy the benefits of Constitutional rights. And so
    does the guy you suspect of stealing your stuff. No, I can\'t go search his
    house for your property just because you suspect he might be involved.

No, I don\'t know your cousin who\'s a police officer in [fill in location
    anywhere in the US] (We Don\'t All Know Each Other)

No your crappy band doesn\'t have until 10:00pm to blast your crappy music
    out of that garage.

If I can see a 12 year old in your house finishing off a beer with a bong
    hit I don\'t need a warrant.

If you don\'t know what the speed limit in your neighborhood is what makes
    you think it\'s 65.

If a neighborhood association asks for police to start ticketing in their
    neighborhood, one of the first five ticketed is on the board of the association.

When you\'re blocking an area to traffic (both foot and vehicle), \"No, you
    can\'t go that way\" doesn\'t mean, \"You\'re special, so by all means, go ahead.\"

If an officer is standing in front of you with his hand outstretched, waving
    furiously at you, plus he\'s yelling for you to \"Stop\", it\'s usually a good idea
    to do as he asks. Please don\'t keep driving towards the officer (as happened
    to me the other night).

Flares + cruiser parked at an angle equals a place you can\'t go, even if
    it\'s a ramp to the interstate.

Don\'t run from the police and then attempt to hide in a warehouse.
    Especially don\'t do this if the officers tell you that the dog is going to
    be let loose, as this will generally result in the dog winning. They leave
    some pretty marks, by the way.

Stop resisting means exactly that. Don\'t say \"I\'m not resisting\" as you
    throw a punch at the officer\'s face.

Just because you\'re handcuffed doesn\'t mean you won\'t go on the ground if
    you attempt to assault an officer. We don\'t even make exceptions for
    pregnant women who bite us, either.

Did you really think I wasn\'t going to find that large lump of crack you got
    clenched in your butt? Come on, it\'s either the world\'s largest \'roid, or
    you got something you ain\'t supposed to have.

If they tell you they borrowed the jacket from a friend, just before you
    search it, they\'ve got something, and it\'s still gonna be their jacket.

For some reason, you think I\'ll believe it when you tell me that you don\'t
    know how it got there. (see above)

Stopping a green man in a blue shirt and pink pants a block away from an
    armed robbery when the suspect description is a green man in a blue shirt
    and pink pants...IS NOT racial profiling.

Just because you have your hazard lights on, doesn\'t mean it is okay to park
    in the fire lane and run into the store. Even if you really need milk!

No I will not go get your 6 year old from their friends house, because it is
    1:00am and you don\'t want to drive 3 minutes. Maybe you should set a
    curfew, and enforce it. I am not a bad police officer, you\'re a bad parent.

And Last but not least: 99% of Police Officers do their job honestly and
    with great pride, we try to do our job well.

Often we have to work in environments where we are the only ones that have
    to follow the rules.

A veteran Sergeant told me on my first day of patrol when you wear that
    uniform everything you do is a liability.

We do make mistakes and due to the nature of the job sometimes they have
    horrible results.

If you drive a piece of junk car; this is why you\'re getting pulled over. In
    one week I pulled over 10 cars for minor equipment violations.
    8 out of 10 had no vehicle insurance,
    7 out of 10 had suspended drivers licenses,
    5 out of 10 had warrants, 2 out of 10 had felony warrants,
    and 1 out of 10 was a known sex offender with his 12 year old niece in the
    car without her mothers knowledge.
    Of the 2 out of 10 that didn\'t have any other violations, one was given a
    fix-it-ticket and the other was given a warning(and if you are trying to do
    the math many had multiple violations)
    Weird. I drive a POS and I rarely get stopped. Ironicly, it only looks like a POS, its as fast as it is ugly.

VIP Member
    Watch out for the CSI effect. There is no machine that we can drop an eyelash into and come up with the DNA profile,fingerprints and mug shot of the owner in 2 minutes.
    :D And I would love to have that übercopy of Photoshop that takes a really tiny, fuzzy photo, clears it up to perfection, zooms in on the subject\'s eyeball, and finds the reflection of the killer in it.

And don\'t get me started on the frozen meat bullets.

When you\'re driving in the fast lane and you see a cop behind you don\'t, go 5 mph\'s under the speed limit.
    When I see a cluster of suspiciously slow-moving cars on the interstate, I can always bet there\'s a cop car somewhere in the middle of them. :D

It\'s so funny when I see a cop going a few mph under the speed limit and everyone else is too scared to pass him in the faster lane. So I set myself up to be the guinea pig and pass, doing the speed limit (of course). Slowly but surely, the other drivers are like, \"omigawd, she passed him and didn\'t get the lights!\" And then they start to slide into the fast lane. That cop must be laughing his buns off.

People love fire fighters.
    On another board, there was a poll that asked the ladies what profession they thought to be the sexiest for a guy. Firefighters ranked the highest, followed up by construction workers. Police ranked ZERO. Sorry, guys. :o :P

Questions for the Police

First of all, a long time ago I used to carry a badge for a living too. At least police officers get to deal with NICE people some of the time. As a Probation and Parole Officer I only dealt with felons. But that was over twenty years ago. Things have changed. A lot.

There have been times when I have either been stopped by the DUI roadblock or for mybe barely exceeding the speed limit. In both cases I was armed and I so informed the officer that (and I quote) pursuant to state law I was informing him that I had a State of Florida Concealed Weapons Permit and that I was lawfully armed. The old grizzled cop at the roadblock was very kewl. He asked what I was carrying and where. I replied I was carrying a Glock M30 45 behind my right hip, strongside IWB. He said, can he hold it while we talk? I reply sure and offer to let HIM draw as I keep my hands on my head, fingers interlaced. He does so and we chat: I give him my license (both of them) my insurance info, etc. He determines I\'m not under the influence and so he gives me back my piece (unloaded, chamber empty) and advises me to lock and load after I leave the area. I drive off no problem.

Then, a few years later, different area, I get stopped by a two man car. Don\'t remember the offense, I didn\'t get a ticket though. This young pup swaggers up to my window and I give him the exact same speil. THIS time, I\'m staring into the bore of a Glock M17 and the entire frame is shaking (cop is shaking) and he\'s demanding I exit the vehicle very SLOWLY (I see his finger on the trigger and I follow directions exactly softly advising him to please remove finger from trigger) and as I do this, I\'m told to back up to him slowly. I hear his older partner SCREAMING at him to cease. He musta run my plates and gotten the flag for a former LEO.

This guy makes me back up and he disarms me (okay) and then he runs my pistol numbers about five times trying to establish that the gun is stolen so he can bust me all the while he\'s asking me why I carry a gun....well DUH. He just couldn\'t accept: \"Well because it\'s my RIGHT to do so...\" The older and wiser partner finally convinced him to let me go then HE apologized to me. I wasn\'t going to file a complaint and I made that clear. But it was obvious that the older guy didn\'t like the young guy too much. I think there are more and more of the young guy out there, now. The older guys who respect armed citizens are retiring and the younger generation is a product of the anti-gun public schools (I know I teach senior high in the inner city).

ONE MORE: What should I do, if I\'m on a lonely road and it\'s raining and I see a cop all by himself and he\'s got THREE suspects at gunpoint against a fence? This has already happened to me. I was armed, I stopped and asked the cop if he needed help holding them until backup arrived. I said I was former US Army Infantry Captain and a former PO and I was armed. He gratefully said YES so we stood and waited for the other units. When they got there he just thanked me over and over.

Should I not have stopped?

Lead Moderator
    Either you missed one or I did. That yellow tape or barricade that says \"Police line - do not cross\", does mean YOU!!

Rick

While I wouldn’t mind helping, and I\'m sure it would be appreciated, I don\'t think I would stop if I didn’t know the officer. I live in suburbia, if I were more rural (fewer officers for a larger area, longer respose times, longer waits for backup, I\'d be more likely to know them, etc) I\'d be more inclined to help.

Imagine this: You\'re a LEO, holding three suspects at gunpoint, and a POV you dont recognize pulls up and stops - what\'s going through your mind? And when do you find time to put the tapeline or barricade up?

On another board, there was a poll that asked the ladies what profession they thought to be the sexiest for a guy. Firefighters ranked the highest, followed up by construction workers. Police ranked ZERO. Sorry, guys.
    Boy, that puts me in the negative numbers. I work in corrections! At least cops have TV shows...we had Oz, which mercifully died....

Zach S

Yeah that thought crossed my mind, but he was pretty far out in the sticks and it was raining and the odds were three to one and when I came out of my vehicle I was yelling (over the rain) YOU NEED HELP? I USED TO CARRY A BADGE TOO! Then when I got closer I explained a bit more and ended with: Hey, look....I\'m armed under permit and if you want, I\'ll help you hold \'em.

Originally posted by ExSoldier762
    ...This young pup swaggers up to my window and I give him the exact same speil. THIS time, I\'m staring into the bore of a Glock M17 and the entire frame is shaking (cop is shaking) and he\'s demanding I exit the vehicle very SLOWLY (I see his finger on the trigger and I follow directions exactly softly advising him to please remove finger from trigger) and as I do this, I\'m told to back up to him slowly. I hear his older partner SCREAMING at him to cease. He musta run my plates and gotten the flag for a former LEO.

This guy makes me back up and he disarms me (okay) and then he runs my pistol numbers about five times trying to establish that the gun is stolen so he can bust me all the while he\'s asking me why I carry a gun....well DUH. He just couldn\'t accept: \"Well because it\'s my RIGHT to do so...\" The older and wiser partner finally convinced him to let me go then HE apologized to me. I wasn\'t going to file a complaint and I made that clear. But it was obvious that the older guy didn\'t like the young guy too much. I think there are more and more of the young guy out there, now. The older guys who respect armed citizens are retiring and the younger generation is a product of the anti-gun public schools (I know I teach senior high in the inner city).
    Your restraint is commendable Ex. but I WOULD :realmad: have filed a complaint against the badge-heavy young punk, and I would have filed/written commendation letters :kay: to the older officer\'s immediate supervisor, Chief/Sheriff, AND the Mayor of the the city that it occured in. Any officer that has a problem with law-abiding citizens carrying firearms for self defense has no business in law enforcement, IMO. Their attitude obviously shows that they are not following their DUTY to UPHOLD the Constitution of the United States. I think it is our duty to support those who support us, and doggedly persecute/prosecute those who agents of the State that are anti-self defense. If we don\'t do it, who will?

And Kudos to you for backing up the lone LEO. Positive interactions like this between CCW holders and LEO\'s will help to show the young cops that CCW holders are the good guys.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    Just because you have your hazard lights on, doesn\'t mean it is okay to park in the fire lane and run into the store. Even if you really need milk!
    I intentionally block in cars that do this with my ambulance....even if there\'s only one and it\'s not even infront of the door.

On another board, there was a poll that asked the ladies what profession they thought to be the sexiest for a guy. Firefighters ranked the highest, followed up by construction workers. Police ranked ZERO. Sorry, guys. :o
    Sorry, but i never say I work for the fire department around women i\'m trying to get. What do you do? \"I\'m an EMT\". If i say \"I\'m a firefighter\" i generally get the \"So was my EX boyfriend responce.\"

VIP Member
    Sorry, but i never say I work for the fire department around women i\'m trying to get. What do you do? \"I\'m an EMT\". If i say \"I\'m a firefighter\" i generally get the \"So was my EX boyfriend responce.\"
    :D

I actually can\'t remember what I responded to the poll. It was either construction workers or firefighters. I lingered over the cop button for a few seconds, but I thought, \"are those local or state?\" The local ones can be pretty hot, but those troopers.... they\'re the ones who stalk you in the dark, parked discreetly behind a billboard on the side of the freeway with a radar gun...

:D

Links