Rebirth of the M14

This is a discussion on Rebirth of the M14 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just skimmed an article in the latest "American Rifleman." It says that the Army is issuing one updated M14 to every fire team (2 per ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebirth of the M14

Rebirth of the M14

Just skimmed an article in the latest "American Rifleman." It says that the Army is issuing one updated M14 to every fire team (2 per squad) in Afghanistan, to deal with longer range threats. The Marines have a similar updated M14, issued at the platoon level.

Unless the infantry MTOE in the Army has changed dramatically since back in my day, that means every fire team now has:

1 M16/M4
    1 M16/M4 with an M203 grenade launcher
    1 M249 SAW
    1 M14

If you consider the grenadier's primary weapon to be the M203, you basically now have (or soon will have) as many updated M14s on the battlefield as M4s. WOW.

Between the SF community going to the FN SCAR, and now this, you almost can't say the AR-pattern rifle is the Army "standard" anymore.

I'm glad we're giving our troops something with longer range, as it seems the enemy has learned to shoot from long range with heavy weapons (I assume RPGs? mortars? medium MGs?) and then scoot before artillery and air support can respond.

Maybe the Mini 14 will get some long overdue respect as well?

I just thought it was interesting that we are going "back to the future." What's old is new again...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

I have always loved the mini, but I don't see me buying a m1a due to the price of 308 ammo, although I have always really wanted one. On second thought, maybe I could justify one for deer hunting.

This is good news to an old lover of the .30 caliber. Glad to hear it. The M14 still makes good practical sense for many applications.

"...the price of 308 ammo..."

It does set a shooter back a bit more to purchase .308 ammo.

I never price .308 ammunition, preferring to handload my supplies, but only today I was at WalMart and noticed that they were selling UMC 150 grain FMJ .308 for $32 for a 40 round box. That's not too shabby. I'm hoping to get down on the border below Sanderson, Texas with my brother-in-law soon for some long range plinking fun. Might be tempted to supplement available stocks of plinking .308 with a few of those 40 round boxes.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

32 for 40.00? My 223 cost 7.50 a box for 20 andthats PMC. To me that's twice the cost. I don't usually reload for rounds that I have to find. Usually where I shoot they fall into tall grass. Although maybe I could put a tarp down in the ejection zone. That maybe an idea. Maybe I better stop thinking before I get into trouble and end up rethinking my position here. :)

32 for 40.00?

40 for 32.00 actually. Yeah, it's still a more spendy round than .223, always will be I guess, but that price looks better than anything I've seen in a while. At least since British and South African surplus could be had cheaply back in the early to mid 1990s. The .30s are glorious good fun though whenever they come out.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Senior Moderator
    I'll take an AR10 over the M14 anyday of the week.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'll take an AR10 over the M14 anyday of the week.
    And I thought the Army had an AR-pattern rifle in 7.62 x 51 in the inventory already. One of the advantages was supposed to be that enemy snipers could not tell who our marksmen were, because the rifles looked similar from a distance. Yet, they are apparently refurbishing the old M14 as fast as possible. The article did make note of the reliability of the M14 operating system in sand, FWIW. Maybe the refurbs cost less? Maybe they can't get the AR-based 7.62 rifles fast enough? Whatever the reason, the M14 is back in a big way.

Many will argue it never should have left in the first place.

With scope, mount, bipod, and the heavier ammo, it is a heavy beast to lug around...but a lighter rifle is useless if it cannot reach the enemy.
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    The AR 10 platform has a lot in common with the AR in the way of parts, scopes, rails and stuff.
    The M-14 uses a very different platform for scopes. I've mounted several and it's got it ownsystem. That is one of the main disadvantages.

I know that the M14 can be wonderfully accurate. A buddy of mine has one that is tricked out, we can slap a 9" gong at 600 yards until you get tired of it, it dosent seem like much sport.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That's one of the upgrades to the M14 - a new aluminum stock that has quad rails. Problem solved. They also added an adjustable length butt, to allow for the fact that our troops today all wear body armor. Old war dog...new tricks.

They claim some great accuracy, even with plain ball ammo. Effective to 800+ meters.
    CT Lasers

http://762rifleman.wordpress.com/201...n-afghanistan/ Article is dated but informative.

I have always wanted an M1A1 but I've settled for the AR-15 instead.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

OD*
    Haven't read my copy of AR yet, but they are behind by several years, Smith Enterprises has been supplying their M14SE Crazy Horse Squad Designated Marksman (SDM) to the US Army since 2006.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

M14SE X 26 = lot's of big .30 fun!

VIP Member
    Personally I love my Springer M1A socom...and I found a source for PMC 7.62 nato that was 12.95 a box of 20, not as cheap as some 5.56 mm ammo out there, but it works for me.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Distinguished Member
    This is what they're doing with 'em these days. As 10thmtn noted, light, adjustable stocks.

This pic is actually a Corps M39 EMR, but I imagine the Army M14 is similar to it and the Navy mk.14 EBR

VIP Member
    That's just awesome!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links