Very Strange Traffic stop.

This is a discussion on Very Strange Traffic stop. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been reading a few of the traffic stops here lately and thought I would share one of mine that was a bit disturbing. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very Strange Traffic stop.

Very Strange Traffic stop.

I have been reading a few of the traffic stops here lately and thought I would share one of mine that was a bit disturbing.

I work for a Federal Agency and I'm also on the our response team. I finally made my way onto the Marksman Observer team and had to drive to Louisiana for training.
    Me and my partner had to drive there due to flying commercial with a firearm is just too much of a headache. We were driving back and were only about 3 hours from home when we headed through a West Virginia town that is a notorious speed trap. Well, I got nailed doing 55 in a 50. yep, he pulled me for that. and this is where the fun began.
    We had three Rem 700 sniper rifles in their cases in the back seat of our plain white Gov't vehicle with absolutely no markings on it at all. We also had three 5 gallon buckets full of spent .308 and .223 casing (my partner is a big reloading fan) Everything in the vehicle was either tactical black or camo. We also had our issued Sig P226's under the front seats and we were in scruffy beards and civilian clothes.
    The officer simply asked for my license. That was it. No questions about the rifle cases, the buckets of spent rounds, the tactical gear, where we worked or why we had these items in the car. I know he seen them right then and there. It was daylight!

He then came back 10 minutes later and asked for the registration for the car. I told him I had no idea where it was, it is a gov't vehicle.
    He then asked if the address on my license was correct, and this is my favorite part, he asked if we had any weapons in the car !! REALLY !!!! 10 minutes later and you finally ask?? and you STILL don't acknowledge the arsenal in the back seat !!!!!
    After pointing out that we did in fact have a weapon of two in the vehicle he STILL didn't get us out of the vehicle.... He simply went back to his car for a few more minutes and then came back and handed me a nice $185 ticket for 5 mph over the limit ( with a court date for 4 days later !) Nice to know professional courtesy is alive and well in west Virginia... Although he never did ask where we worked.

I got to thinking about this very poorly trained officers safety for a day or two and decided to call his dept and fill his supervisor in on the situation. I already sent the money in the mail by this time. the tickets was not the issue. My vehicle was just peppered with red flags and this guy pretty much ignored every single one of them... Are these small towns so broke that the only thing that is important is the revenue from speeding tickets???

That had to be one of the worst stops I have ever seen. Hopefully this officer found a new profession and quickly.
    Last edited by ktm rider; February 23rd, 2011 at 05:36 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Intresting stop. That's all I got......'intresting'.

How'd the call to his dert. sup. go?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

He didn't really seem to care either..Just thought I was trying to get out of the ticket. ( even though I explained twice that I already sent the money)

BTW- Is "goldshellback" a navy reference?

Does the vehicle have a government tag? If not, what does the registration come back as when you punch it in the computer? Tags on unmarked vehicles here come back as blocked so most LEO's know what it is then.

Yeah they have Gov't tags.

he STILL didn't get us out of the vehicle
    Why would he? You were a 100% within your legal rights to carry, and have the rifles, and a all the live ammo you wanted. Other than the speeding, you broke no other law warranting taking you out of the car

Quote Originally Posted by ktm rider View Post
    He didn't really seem to care either..Just thought I was trying to get out of the ticket. ( even though I explained twice that I already sent the money)

BTW- Is "goldshellback" a navy reference?
    Yes it is I am a fellow golden shellback 0 long 0 lat crossing the line is never fun the first time...

VIP Member
    Nice avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Nice avatar!
    I like it...

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    Why would he? You were a 100% within your legal rights to carry, and have the rifles, and a all the live ammo you wanted. Other than the speeding, you broke no other law warranting taking you out of the car
    That's what I was thinking.

You did nothing wrong except for speeding. I don't know that much about WV laws. But in SC, it is perfectly legal to carry firearms in a case in the backseat; and being in possession of "brass" is in NO WAY illegal.

I have no idea why you would say this was a poorly trained officer.

(Did you do anything wrong to raise suspicion?)

This guy did the RIGHT thing! (He respected your "CONSTITUTIONAL" rights!)

I wish we had more officers like him.

Maybe you need to come to the south more often; just to see what it means for an LEO to respect the "State" and "Federal" contitutionally allowed civilian protections.

(God knows, a lot of LEOs and politicians from your area of the country could use a few lessons on our "Constitutional" protections.)

Senior Moderator
    I think he was unimpressed with 3 bolt action rifles. What some call a sniper rifle is just a typical deer rifle in most parts.
    As for the buckets of empty brass...it was empty.

So you had weapons in the car. Big deal. He probably sees more weapons in W.Virginia in a week than a Fed sees in Maryland in a years time.

After pointing out that we did in fact have a weapon of two in the vehicle he STILL didn't get us out of the vehicle.... He simply went back to his car for a few more minutes and then came back and handed me a nice $185 ticket for 5 mph over the limit ( with a court date for 4 days later !)
    Why would he order you out of the vehicle? Certainly you don't expect to be outed just for guns. Fact of the matter is, in most places, unless you have done something wrong, guns in a vehicle is NOT a reason to be harassed.

That had to be one of the worst stops I have ever seen.
    It only serves to show how different the attitudes are between Feds and local cops. The Feds expect to be treated harshly because they have guns in the vehicle. The local cop saw no more than a guy speeding...that happened to have some guns in the back.

That says a lot about training.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Agreed HotGuns.

The OP expected to be treated as he would have treated someone under the same circumstances. The only problem with this stop is that the OP has a problem with it.

To the Officer who pulled over the OP: WELL DONE
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

@ ktm rider - So you would prefer to be harassed despite being within your constitutional rights? Sounds like it was a good stop to me.
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Just curious...

What Fed agency do you work for and why didn't you show him your agency ID? Are you a full commissioned officer?

Why were your service pistols under the front seat instead of on your side?
    Proud NRA member

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Why exactly would an officer want to remove two people from a vehicle and now have them out and mobile?
    Last edited by Chad Rogers; February 23rd, 2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links