TDY Carry Advice

This is a discussion on TDY Carry Advice within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for some advice on carrying while TDY. I will be going on a permissive TDY to Colorado for surgery, and I am going to ...

Thread: TDY Carry Advice

TDY Carry Advice

Looking for some advice on carrying while TDY. I will be going on a permissive TDY to Colorado for surgery, and I am going to take leave en route to visit family. I will be carrying while I am on leave since I will not be going anywhere that I can't, but I'm not sure what to do when I head to Colorado. I will be staying on base and I asked based lodging if I could store it in my room (I figured it would be no but it doesn't hurt to ask), they were shocked and questioined me about why I was going to have a gun, then told me no.
    I see 3 options:
    1. Don't carry at all for the entire trip.
    2. Carry while on leave. Leave gun with family and pick it up after TDY is over. (I will be seeing them again on the trip home, we are leaving our son and dogs with them while we are in Colorado.)
    3. Find out if I can store my gun in the base armory while I am staying there.

I don't like number 1, and its kind of a toss up between 2 and 3 (if 3 is even possible, I have yet to talk to the armory).
    Just looking for advice, what would you do, options I may have overlooked, etc...
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Pretty sure that you will be able to store it in the base armory. That's what I have done in the past. Call the armory. Don't worry about base housing being "shocked." I think that is ridiculous. I would call the armory and carry. If you put it in the armory, put a LOCK through the action. I've heard horror stories of security forces shooting people's personal firearms at the range. I don't know if that's true or not.

Lead Moderator
    2 & 3 look like the best options with #2 being the easiest, since you are stopping on the way back anyway.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Find a local gun store and ask if they offer a cleaning services. You can drop it off and pick up on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    Looking for some advice on carrying while TDY. I will be going on a permissive TDY to Colorado for surgery, and I am going to take leave en route to visit family. I will be carrying while I am on leave since I will not be going anywhere that I can't, but I'm not sure what to do when I head to Colorado. I will be staying on base and I asked based lodging if I could store it in my room (I figured it would be no but it doesn't hurt to ask), they were shocked and questioined me about why I was going to have a gun, then told me no.
    I see 3 options:
    1. Don't carry at all for the entire trip.
    2. Carry while on leave. Leave gun with family and pick it up after TDY is over. (I will be seeing them again on the trip home, we are leaving our son and dogs with them while we are in Colorado.)
    3. Find out if I can store my gun in the base armory while I am staying there.

I don't like number 1, and its kind of a toss up between 2 and 3 (if 3 is even possible, I have yet to talk to the armory).
    Just looking for advice, what would you do, options I may have overlooked, etc...
    Thanks
    Being retired Navy I have kept guns on base or on ship in the armory more times than I can count, I was never told no............

Every Army base I have ever been on requires people staying in lodging with personal weapons to store them at the provost martial (MP) arms room, unless you are assigned to a unit, in which case it can go in the unit's arms room, usualy with just a memo signed by the commander. Call the provost martial (MP or equivalent) station and ask them. They will be able to tell you what you need to do. Just be aware that there may be some type of registration requirement. Fort Bliss for example required them to be registered with the same folks who give you your vehicle decals.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member
    During my 24 years of AD, every base I was stationed had the availability for you to store weapons in the armory. That would be the option I would chose. Saying that, I'd call ahead of time to make sure the base you will be at does in fact have an armory available to store your weapon.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I talked to the armory and they said that since I am going there for surgery that they can't hold them. So it looks like I'm leavin them with family. I thought about your idea HK but got vetoed , she said I already spend too much money on them I don't need to pay someone to clean them too lol.
    Thanks everyone.

Links