First duty station: Fort Bliss, Texas!!!

This is a discussion on First duty station: Fort Bliss, Texas!!! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I graduated Thursday from OSUT at Fort Knox, Kentucky. Now I am at Fort Bliss in processing! Anyone know what there is to do at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First duty station: Fort Bliss, Texas!!!

I graduated Thursday from OSUT at Fort Knox, Kentucky. Now I am at Fort Bliss in processing! Anyone know what there is to do at Fort Bliss and in El Paso?! Thanks in advance!!
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Administrator
    There is lots to do across the border.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Time to change your signature line Spencer!

Congrats on your first posting.

As far as El Paso goes, I've been through the airport a few times but not much "boots on the ground" time.

These may be of interest to you and I'm sure you'll get some more local input.

Things to Do in El Paso - El Paso Attractions - TripAdvisor

El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau | El Paso, Texas
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There is lots to do across the border.
    My in-laws live in Las Cruces NM and El Paso is the airport we use when visiting them.

Last time we were there with lots of time to kill I suggested we cross over for a couple of hours. Mr & Mrs GB in-law suggested against such a crossing due to safety concerns.

Again, I defer to the locals with more intel on the subject.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I would stay away from crossing that border for awhile because of the drug cartels. Unless you take your platoon with you.

Distinguished Member
    Nothing to add on El Paso but Congrats on graduating and your first post.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Congratulations!! Get with your NCOIC and ask him/her to give you some guidance on where to go and what to do.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Administrator
    You will be introduced to plenty of stuff and must see's in the area soldiers who are already there. When I was in, it was almost a game of pride to show a your buds what you have discovered in the area.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was at Bliss in 1991. Back then, worst we had to worry about was getting your car stolen and driven across the border. NO WAY would I venture into Juarez nowadays.

The desert around El Paso can be beautiful. As far as the city itself, I can't really help you there...been too long!

Best of luck, and give your body some time to acclimate to the altitude. First time I ran there, I was literally sucking wind.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Drink a lot of water - altitude and dryness. Come summer you'll see why it's called Ft. "Bliss".

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

A decent initial duty station. Mine was FT Drum, talk about shock for a young Texan. One thing I will tell you that is an absolute is stay away from the border. DO NOT go to Juarez unless you are accompanied by tanks.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

If you have the funds you might invest in 2 wheel transportation,I live in Edinburg Tx and we ride year round down here,there is a town called Zapate Tx its about 1 1/2 hour trip to the southeast,they have a restaurant that has some of the best chicken fried steaks I have ever eaten,we head there at least once every couple months,Falcon Lake is close by,stay on the US side for fishing and don't go boating on it due to several fishermen being robbed by armed thugs and a high profile murder.Around San Antonio you run into the "hill" country,Marble Falls is a great town and IIRC you can rent canoes etc. for water fun.You can get a Tx resident CHL at 18 if you are active duty
    Like everyone else said stay out of Mexico and if you imbibe any alcohol do not get intoxicated to the point you may become a victim.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm willing to bet that he won't be allowed to go into Mexico. Your in-briefing should cover the list of "off-limits" establishments, and I'm fairly certain Mexico won't be allowed.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

welcome to Texas SpencerB...i am glad you are here & thank you for serving our country !!!

The first thing we were told upon arriving at Ft. Bliss in 1975 was: Stay away from Dyer Street.
    We used to go over to Juarez (where I got my first tattoo), but I would even consider going near the border now.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links