Friendly Fire Kills L.I. Cop

This is a discussion on Friendly Fire Kills L.I. Cop within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Long Island cop killed in friendly fire incident identified as Geoffrey Breitkopf, 12-year-veteran How needless. Prayers for the officers family....

Thread: Friendly Fire Kills L.I. Cop

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Pretty senseless death,he should have been wearing a Cop vest,and if he was and still got shot,the shooter needs to be charged with manslaughter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sad! Prayers for both officers involved and their families. At least the satanist got sent home.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

GM
    A horrible tragedy . But that cannot be everithing; something must be missing.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

What I'm hearing locally (I'm about 10 miles from where this occurred) is the oppose scenario, the plain clothes officer was on the scene and it was the MTA officer that showed up, saw a man with a gun, identified him as the threat and took the shot. In either case it's tragic and I cannot begin to imagine the horror the surviving officer and members of both families are facing right now. Just terrible.

Word just out from the NCPD commissioner that the officer that was shot arrived on the scene 8 ~ 12 minutes after the perp was shot so it appears the article in the OP was accurate regarding who arrived first on the scene.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

He was in an unmarked car, wearing plain clothes and approached the property with a rifle at his side, authorities said.
    Not realizing Breitkopf was a cop, Gentile shot him.
    So , it didn't occur to him as officer's are arriving and someone is approaching with a rifle , he may be one as well. This is what concerns me in so many arenas it's crazy. An officer out here stated, I will shoot anyone I see with a gun ... period. He's now not with the force, but.... he was that "jumpy" and "nervous" about it.

Obviously .... he did not ask him to drop his weapon, etc. before he shot him.... which is pure stupidity , since he gave him no opportunity to ID himself and what seems obviously that he was not being threatened by him before he hauled off an shot him.

Stupidity cost someone their life, off the force and manslaughter charges at a minimum.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Why was MTA police responding to that call anyways. Radio runs off MTA properties should be handled by the appropriate dept. Since the MTA guys have a GAOE in NY and Ct they are fully taking advantage of it. I bet you now that this happened MTA is gonna get slapped and told to heel.
    One more step and it's on!

UPDATED: 3/18/2011 How needless was this death.

NY blue-on-blue came after retired cop yelled 'Gun!'
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post

So he had his rifle shouldered with a sling obviously no threat,a retired cop yells gun, idiot 1 tries to wrestle it away while idiot 2 shoots,I'm pretty sure if the Officer would have been challenged at gun point he would have raised his hands,but very possibly feeling a gun grab from behind without any warning he tried to retain his weapon and was shot for it.It ain't even safe being a cop and I would be extremely leery about having a carry permit and have this same kind of idiot that shoots first and asks questions later
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    This , from one of the posters, sounds very plausible::

RedRandy
    12:49:57 PM
    Mar 14, 2011
    What I think happened: It's very possible that Breitkopf is well known throughout the Nassau Police Department. He's been on the force 12 years. So he probably got out his car, didnt identify himself because he felt he didnt need to. And an MTA cop mistook him for a criminal. Where as if there was no MTA cops on the scene, the Nassau Cops on seen would've recognized him as "Jeff" from the Department. It's really one of those instances that you can say was caused by Fate. What's the odds?

Sad!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post

This ,from a side article from this webpage above,

Retiree who yelled 'Gun' has 'annoying habit' of visiting crime scenesBy Selim Algar
    New York Post

NEW YORK — The ex-cop who yelled "gun" before a Long Island police officer was killed in a "friendly fire" shooting is a retired NYPD veteran who has an annoying habit of listening to scanners and racing to locations where police are called, sources said yesterday.

John Carafella, 58 - a former Emergency Service Unit sergeant out of East New York - has spent his three-year retirement nosing around crime scenes and offering unwanted help, the sources said.

Sounds as though John gots a lotta' 'Splainin' to do.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links