FHP Trooper shoots herself during training.....

This is a discussion on FHP Trooper shoots herself during training..... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; FHP: Trooper Accidentally Shoots Self - West Palm Beach News Story - WPBF West Palm Beach This sounds like a case of finger on trigger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FHP Trooper shoots herself during training.....

Cool FHP Trooper shoots herself during training.....

FHP: Trooper Accidentally Shoots Self - West Palm Beach News Story - WPBF West Palm Beach

This sounds like a case of finger on trigger before sights on target.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

It does not say if the trooper was drawing the weapon or re-holstering it. Either way a safety rule was ignored!

Yep, she missed a couple of em!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Guys, the short news story only says that the female trooper was shot, not by whom. Since she was an instructor there is a very good chance some else pulled the trigger.

cj
    Another article clarifies some: FHP trooper accidentally shot during gun inspection in Belle Glade

It was another instructor inspecting a firearm that shot her.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG45 View Post
    Guys, the short news story only says that the female trooper was shot, not by whom. Since she was an instructor there is a very good chance some else pulled the trigger.
    Doesn't matter, somebody still missed the rules!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

GM
    Way too little info, but I agree that someone ignored at least one safety rule.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Story changed from this morning. Now it is a supervisor who was inspecting a loaded weapon and discharged it striking the trooper. The below proceedure if followed eliminates this type of negligent discharge.

Administrative semi-auto handgun inspection proceedure:
    1) Magazine removed from weapon while weapon is still in the holster and set aside. 2) Weapon removed from holster and immediately pointed into bullet trap.
    3) Slide locked back ejecting round from chamber of weapon. Ejected
    round is placed next to removed magazine.
    4) Weapon checked by inspecting authority to show physically that it is unloaded.
    5) After inspection, slide is released on empty weapon without magazine.
    6) Empty weapon without magazine is placed back into holster.
    7) Magazine is inserted into weapon while holstered.
    8) Weapon is then removed from holster, pointed into bullet trap and round is
    chambered and chamber checked.
    9) Weapon is replaced into holster and secured.
    10) Magazine is removed from weapon and original chambered round is replaced into magazine and magazine is replaced into weapon.

I am glad the trooper will be alright.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    5) After inspection, slide is released on empty weapon without magazine.
    6) Empty weapon without magazine is placed back into holster.
    7) Magazine is inserted into weapon while holstered.
    8) Weapon is then removed from holster, pointed into bullet trap and round is
    chambered and chamber checked.
    This is not meant to be a criticism and I am speaking only for myself, but these sure aren't steps I would go personally through. To me this is exactly that kind of "OMG the weapon will go off if you look at it wrong" mentality that LEOs get too much of already. Rather than mastering weapons, essentially weapons master the students.

Chad:

This is written departmental policy for state accreditation and uniformity of inspection proceedure.

OS

That is similar to administrative reloads (mag changes) on "hot" ranges, the weapon does not leave the holster.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Then they really should change the policy. People should be comfortable enough with their individual weapons to safety chamber and unchamber without bullet traps and holsters. If they are not more training in needed.

No one comments on the trooper's name? I mean for crying out loud her name is "Mellow Scheetz"....

What the hell were her parents thinking?!?!
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by pica View Post
    Then they really should change the policy. People should be comfortable enough with their individual weapons to safety chamber and unchamber without bullet traps and holsters. If they are not more training in needed.
    The reason for bullet traps is so in case of a nd or ad the round is prevented from causing collateral damage and any safety device should be used as necessary.People make mistakes no matter how many repetitions they do,the following is an example.

When I served in the USAF Security Police,upon being issued weapons from the armory,we would receive our M16 empty mag well with slide locked to rear,with weapon pointed up move to clearing barrel insert barrel into recess and release the bolt,place weapon on safe and shoulder weapon,mag was not inserted until on post.S&W mod 15 38 spl,cylinder open move to clearing barrel insert barrel into recess load 6 rounds close cylinder holster weapon.
    We had one ND in 2 years I was there,guy came in off post forgot to remove mag,clearing official was bs ing,as guy inserted muzzle into clearing barrel he locked bolt to rear CO looked said go ahead guy releases bolt chambering a round,pulls trigger to drop hammer on supposed to be empty chamber,loud boom,guy in shock pulls charging handle to rear ejecting no.2 round and chambering no.3 round CO is yelling no as guy pulls trigger and second boom.Report made lots of people shake there heads.Complacency can get you killed.Rules came out that during weapon issue and turn in nobody was allowed to distract the CO(Clearing Official)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The reason for bullet traps is so in case of a nd or ad the round is prevented from causing collateral damage and any safety device should be used as necessary.People make mistakes no matter how many repetitions they do,the following is an example.

When I served in the USAF Security Police,upon being issued weapons from the armory,we would receive our M16 empty mag well with slide locked to rear,with weapon pointed up move to clearing barrel insert barrel into recess and release the bolt,place weapon on safe and shoulder weapon,mag was not inserted until on post.S&W mod 15 38 spl,cylinder open move to clearing barrel insert barrel into recess load 6 rounds close cylinder holster weapon.
    We had one ND in 2 years I was there,guy came in off post forgot to remove mag,clearing official was bs ing,as guy inserted muzzle into clearing barrel he locked bolt to rear CO looked said go ahead guy releases bolt chambering a round,pulls trigger to drop hammer on supposed to be empty chamber,loud boom,guy in shock pulls charging handle to rear ejecting no.2 round and chambering no.3 round CO is yelling no as guy pulls trigger and second boom.Report made lots of people shake there heads.Complacency can get you killed.Rules came out that during weapon issue and turn in nobody was allowed to distract the CO(Clearing Official)
    Clear negligence on the clearing official's part... hope he got a good talking to along with the other chuckle head.

Oh, and GO AF!
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links