Diplomatic Security Service

This is a discussion on Diplomatic Security Service within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wondering if anyone was in the DSS with the State Dept. I am scheduled to start training this August and wanted to get some ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chad Rogers

Thread: Diplomatic Security Service

Just wondering if anyone was in the DSS with the State Dept. I am scheduled to start training this August and wanted to get some tips. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not, but I struck up a conversation with one of those guys in '08 because he was carrying a K-frame Smith. He said they were in the process of acquiring some M-9s from the military. Sorry I can't offer you more. Good luck on the new J.O.B.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Congrats on your selection.

DSS is an honorable profession. Overseas, especially in combat zones, DSS is the 800 pound gorilla. After 2001, and I assume it still continues, they became more involved in passport fraud cases as part of the overall war on terror.

You will get some of the best protective services training out there.

DSS has come a long way. I can remember when they did not even have powers of arrest. They could get an arrest warrant but then had to get somebody else to execute the warrant.
    shadowwalker likes this.

DSS

Great choice!

I am a DS Agent and have been for the last several years. Great gig for me. But a few things...

Passport Fraud investigations have been conducted by DS since propr to WW2. In fact, the main reason for DS being an organization is rooted in hunting Nazi infiltrators (intelligence operatives) prior to the start of the war. They were very active in DC and New York at the time and the USG needed a way to curb their presence and operations. This has been a staple of DS operations and it also includes Visa fraud investgations.

You will get the best protective security training there is to offer. We do more protection than ANY other federal agency, including the Service and we do it domestic and in places like Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan to name a few. Unlike some of our LEO counter parts that only work domestic protective assignments. Interestingly enough, per US Title Code, DS and the Service are the only agents mandated to do protective services. (In other words we get our powers from legal mandate VS other agents who derive their power from the head of their agency. It is actually a punishable crime to interfere with a Service or DS protectee.)
    I'm not sure how long ago you met a DS guy Chad, but we have been conducting arrests for the above mentioned frauds for decades.....We did receive expanded authority after 9/11 that brought has given us the same scope of power with other well known federal LEO's.

Hope this helps.
    Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by tburque View Post
    Great choice!

I am a DS Agent and have been for the last several years. Great gig for me. But a few things...

Passport Fraud investigations have been conducted by DS since propr to WW2. In fact, the main reason for DS being an organization is rooted in hunting Nazi infiltrators (intelligence operatives) prior to the start of the war. They were very active in DC and New York at the time and the USG needed a way to curb their presence and operations. This has been a staple of DS operations and it also includes Visa fraud investgations.

You will get the best protective security training there is to offer. We do more protection than ANY other federal agency, including the Service and we do it domestic and in places like Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan to name a few. Unlike some of our LEO counter parts that only work domestic protective assignments. Interestingly enough, per US Title Code, DS and the Service are the only agents mandated to do protective services. (In other words we get our powers from legal mandate VS other agents who derive their power from the head of their agency. It is actually a punishable crime to interfere with a Service or DS protectee.)
    I'm not sure how long ago you met a DS guy Chad, but we have been conducting arrests for the above mentioned frauds for decades.....We did receive expanded authority after 9/11 that brought has given us the same scope of power with other well known federal LEO's.

Hope this helps.
    Trevor
    Look it's no big deal but I am pretty darn sure about my arrest powers statement.

My primary point is that DSS has come a long way. DSS did not even formally exist until the mid-1980s if I recall correctly. Maybe that's when formal powers of arrest came to be.

I talked a local cop friend of mine into joining several years ago and he is ecstatic that he did.

One other thing to OP if I may.

The first couple of chapters of Fred Burton's book Ghost are either embarrassing to DSS (he thought the KGB was following him on morning runs after he got out FLETC), are utterly preposterous.

If you want a novel about DSS, that's your huckleberry.

A friend of mine and I were interns with the US Marshals in the Mid 90s. He went on to Grad School, ROTC and Army Ranger. Shortly there after I was paid a visit by a serious looking guy in a black suit (DSS), inquiring about my friend. He wasnt allowed to tell me what the background check was for, but reading between the lines he was getting hired as an agent. It is one of the lesser known agencies out there for people seeking Fed LEO employment. Most apply for the usuals (DEA, USMS, FBI, SS, ATF). Apparently DSS is one of the better to work for. Congrats.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Copy Chad. Thanks for the kudos you gave us. And you're right, the mid-80's is when we stood up as a "Bureau".
    thx
    Trev

VIP Member
    I have a fellow officer that is a Former Marine and was in Secret Service on protection detail during 90's. He said when they were in the Balkans at a high-level meeting with the countries involved there were DSS and other assets guarding the perimeter of the meeting place. He said leaflets were dropped, signs posted, etc not to come over a wall/certain distance, etc to the place. Some disregarded this and snipers had the green light. He said on numerous occasions heads were turned into pink mist as the "infiltrators" came over the wall. He said the DSS guys were phenomenal. Sounds like it would be a very cool gig.
    Good luck
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Greetings From Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    Congrats on your job, keep us protected.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Good luck in your career. I have never met anyone in DS, but if the protectees I HAVE met are any indication, you may have a fair amount of *** kissing in your future.

Most of the protectees I have met have been Senators ... what a bunch of prima-donnas!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Old thread. Hasn't responded since 2011. Either he's in or out by now.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Resurrected Thread

Closed
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links