Fast and accurate gunfight........

This is a discussion on Fast and accurate gunfight........ within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Video: NM officer's textbook shooting The accurracy of the NM trooper is exceptional....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fast and accurate gunfight........

Cool Fast and accurate gunfight........

Video: NM officer's textbook shooting

The accurracy of the NM trooper is exceptional.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good for the officer, bad and SAD for the gonzales family.

From article:

Police later learned that Gonzales was an ex-Marine who was being treated for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Wy does our military turn a blind eye to this type of circumstance?

To their defense, I don't know if they were on top of his PTSDisorder, but we also don't know if they we not helping him through this either.

Sad situation, with an outcome that, for all intents and purposes was good for Mother, child and officer.

Very good defense from the officer.
    I wonder if he shot with his arm out of the patrol car, or if he was able to slam the trans into park, and open door, then return fire.
    Happened pretty fast.

This from another article here; http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Loc...ut-was-suicide

The autopsy states: "The wound to the left chest (believed to be from Waller's duty AR-15 rifle) could have contributed to death if it were not for the devastating wound to the head. The manner of death is suicide."

Gonzales, a Pecos High graduate who had multiple tours of duty as a decorated Marine sniper in Iraq and Afghanistan, was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder when Waller responded to a call from dispatchers asking that Gonzales be stopped from taking his pregnant wife and their 2-year-old son from Pecos to Albuquerque after an argument.

You will never begin in the fight you have planned for. You will begin in the fight the other guy has planned for.
    Move in a manner that leads him into your fight should he press his attack.
    Mathew Courtney
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Man, that gunfight came in a HURRY. I am sure he had already drawn and was on high alert, but that still must have seemed like a flash. Excellent shooting by the officer.

My only thought is that if someone had informed him that the assailant was being treated for PTSD, he may have been able to talk to him without the steel in his voice. That, though, is certainly armchair quarterbacking and no critique of the officer. He did a superb job.
    oneshot likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

That officer had some good training, and paid attention!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Wow! Great anticipation. Glad the officer and he hostages are safe. A sad ending for a US Marine...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

The idiot also gave him an easy shot. The officer was prepared for him to expose himself......like shooting fish in a barrel for someone with some shooting experience.

A tragedy. I feel for the family and the officer. He did what he had to do under such difficult circumstances.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Good for the officer, sad for the family, and great for "Boot Hill".
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sad situation to see a troubled vet get taken out like that. We owed him a debt, and instead we gave him a bullet. It ain't right..................
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Sad situation to see a troubled vet get taken out like that. We owed him a debt, and instead we gave him a bullet. It ain't right..................
    Careful, the gun grabbers want to take away - permanently- the guns of vets with any sort of PTSD diagnosis.

Tragic event for all parties.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Has the video ben taken down? I don't see it when I go to the link.

PTSD is scary stuff. Some people are able to cope with it and lead a semi normal life, others are consumed by it. it’s to bad someone died, but it could have been a lot worse.

VIP Member
    At what I am sure is a considerable risk of getting flamed, but also with very considerable sympathy for those who suffer from any disorder, I suspect that PTSD is often used as an excuse for bad behavior, not unlike "the devil made me do it," defense.

I realize there are serious issues for those who suffer from PTSD and I don't want to make lite of these, and I'm not diminishing the suffering, but I really think some of the folks who get into trouble and blame PTSD were headed for trouble long before the traumatic event. Its more like too much testosterone/androgen/muscle/ and an excuse, all interacting.

How often do you see or hear of women committing violent crimes as a result of PTSD? And, yes, many women have been through horrific traumas including exposure to one form of combat or another either as a cop or military, or at home, or with a sexual predator.

I grew up in the time frame immediately after WWII and during the Korean War. Nearly every adult male had military experience and very very many had serious horrific combat experience.

Maybe I was too young, maybe the newspapers didn't report, certainly the name was different (combat fatigue), but I don't recall many if any incidents of the men of the Greatest Generation going stark raving nuts violent.

I knew fighter pilots, I knew men who served duty in PT boats in the Pacific, I knew submariners, I knew a man who played dead in the snow during the Battle of the Bulge for 2 days, with a chest wound, while the Germans walked all around him--- never knowing if one of them would notice he was still alive and put a final bullet in him. (He died a few years after the war from his wounds.) What I don't remember were violent "nut jobs." (I do however remember grieving parents, parents who jumped out of windows on getting bad news and a cousin's grave-he was killed invading Italy.)

Sorry if this is offensive to some as I really don't mean to be hurtful or disrespectful. I just think there is more going on than the simple equation of "he had some combat experience" "so he got PTSD" "so he engaged in violent behavior" "so it really isn't his fault."

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I can't see the video. Apparently they removed it.

VIP Member
    There are (literally) untold thousands of "incidents" involving WWII (and other) vets. I was immediately reminded of the soldier in the end of Band of Brothers (the book, anyway, don't recall about the miniseries) who shot and killed his own men. In pretty much every account of battle I have read from that era, there were men who "snapped" and committed atrocities, or otherwise had "incidents" that could be (at least in part) attributed to their exposure to such severe trauma. The only thing different today is the reporting.

In no way would I ever take anything away from the accomplishments of The Greatest Generation, but I am frankly kind of tired of hearing that the entire generation of tens of millions was somehow completely free from sin.

ETA: Both my grandfathers were WWII vets, and my father and step-father were Vietnam vets. I hold what they accomplished in the highest esteem. Even as I pass most of them in time spent "over there," I know that nothing that I have done or, in all likelihood, ever will do could compare to their deeds, and the effect that they had on our planet. I am simply saying that being a part of any particular generation doesn't grant immunity to trauma, mental illness, or downright evilness.
    Last edited by OPFOR; April 4th, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
    Harryball likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links