Vietnam Veterans...Welcome Home!

This is a discussion on Vietnam Veterans...Welcome Home! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; March 30, 2011 was officially proclaimed, by Congress, as "Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day".... Soooo...to all my Brothers, the forgotten generation, who never got a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Vietnam Veterans...Welcome Home!

Vietnam Veterans...Welcome Home!

March 30, 2011 was officially proclaimed, by Congress, as "Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day"....

Soooo...to all my Brothers, the forgotten generation, who never got a hug, a handshake, a Thank You...to them I say Welcome Home Brother...To those that made the ultimate sacrifice, may you rest in peace...To those that were surely left behind, You will never be forgotten!!!

WELCOME HOME VIETNAM VETERANS

Some words from a fellow Vietnam Vet ....

ANOTHER TIME, ANOTHER PLACE, ANOTHER WAR

We are old men now, graying, grandparents,
    those of us who are still alive.

We are black and white and yellow and red
    and every shade in between
    We are crippled, some in body, some in mind,
    all in soul
    We bled and we died and we came home where
    we bled and died some more
    We came home to an indifferent
    and uncaring nation
    And we left more than blood
    in a far and distant land

We are old men now, graying, grandparents
    those of us who are still alive

We watch our sons, our daughters return
    from yet another far and distant land
    We watch and weep, weep bitter tears
    for a generation, a youth lost
    But also tears of joy, tears for a nation,
    a new beginning, tears for yellow ribbons
    on the Central Boulevards of Hometown, USA
    It was a long time coming, our welcome home
    Through misty, half-closed eyes, we remember,
    and imagine, imagine we see our own names,
    just a faint imprint, a ghost-like image,
    but our own names on those signs
    We see the names and the ribbons
    and we remember another time,
    another place, another war.

Lonnie Henderson
    May 29, 1991
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thank you, Vietnam Vets. I was safe and secure at home, playing with toys and watching you on the news, while you sacrificed everything.
    oneshot likes this.

Michigan has been having a "Welcome Home" MC Ride for a few years now.
    Vietnam Legacy Ride
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Ex Member
    Too little, to late. I was treated like crap for a DECADE. A parade ain't going to make me happy now.

I got an e-mail from the VFW, and was going to post it, but it appears the 1st Sgt has beaten me to it. I wasn't even alive while Vietnam was going on, but welcome home and thank you for your service to all the Vietnam Vets out there.

I have noticed a trend among Vietnam Vets, that they are very devout in making sure the current generation of service members gets proper home-comings, and treated with respect. I have spent a lot of time flying, and almost always stop in a USO when I am in an airport, and more often than not there is a Vietnam Vet in there volunteering, taking care of my generation of war-fighters. So, for those of you who are also continuing to serve in that matter, I would like to extend my gratitude for that as well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Too little, to late. I was treated like crap for a DECADE. A parade ain't going to make me happy now.
    No one can "Make us happy" about what happened then, but I have found that forgiving them is the way to keep from being bitter 'til I die.
    Now I do what I can to make sure this does not happen again.
    BTW, USN Cam Ranh Bay 1970...
    swiftyjuan and oneshot like this.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    It might be a shame, but this is how a lot of us feel! That's why we try to give the young warriors a better welcome home.
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    It might be a shame, but this is how a lot of us feel! That's why we try to give the young warriors a better welcome home.

As do I. I am 100% service disabled Vet but spend a lot on books, and magazines that I share with others at the local VA hospital. It is not America I am disappointed in, it is the LEFT who pushed the "baby killer" crap to the front page. The Left I get back at every chance i get. It helps a lot.

I have had a full, if not painful, life but it brings me to tears to see 19-22 year old guys at the VA missing arms, legs, or in a wheel chair. These 'kids' enlisted to serve their Country and now will spend the next 50-70 years with a real tough life. The amazing thing, and maybe that's what makes this country strong, is I have not spoken to EVEN ONE who feels sorry for themselves. Sadly America looses her strongest in wars.

As do I. I am 100% service disabled Vet but spend a lot on books, and magazines that I share with others at the local VA hospital. It is not America I am disappointed in, it is the LEFT who pushed the "baby killer" crap to the front page. The Left I get back at every chance i get. It helps a lot.
    This is a big part of making sure that it never happens again.
    I have had a full, if not painful, life but it brings me to tears to see 19-22 year old guys at the VA missing arms, legs, or in a wheel chair. These 'kids' enlisted to serve their Country and now will spend the next 50-70 years with a real tough life. The amazing thing, and maybe that's what makes this country strong, is I have not spoken to EVEN ONE who feels sorry for themselves. Sadly America looses her strongest in wars.
    This is another part of making sure that it never happens again.
    I was never wounded, physically... but "All gave some, some gave ALL"
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

No one will ever be forgotten... They are always there... And Always will be...

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    March 30, 2011 was officially proclaimed, by Congress, as "Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day"....

Soooo...to all my Brothers, the forgotten generation, who never got a hug, a handshake, a Thank You...to them I say Welcome Home Brother...To those that made the ultimate sacrifice, may you rest in peace...To those that were surely left behind, You will never be forgotten!!!

WELCOME HOME VIETNAM VETERANS

Some words from a fellow Vietnam Vet ....

ANOTHER TIME, ANOTHER PLACE, ANOTHER WAR

We are old men now, graying, grandparents,

We are black and white and yellow and red
    and every shade in between
    We are crippled, some in body, some in mind,
    all in soul
    We bled and we died and we came home where
    we bled and died some more
    We came home to an indifferent
    and uncaring nation
    And we left more than blood
    in a far and distant land

those of us who are still alive

We watch our sons, our daughters return
    from yet another far and distant land
    We watch and weep, weep bitter tears
    for a generation, a youth lost
    But also tears of joy, tears for a nation,
    a new beginning, tears for yellow ribbons
    It was a long time coming, our welcome home
    Through misty, half-closed eyes, we remember,
    and imagine, imagine we see our own names,
    just a faint imprint, a ghost-like image,
    but our own names on those signs
    We see the names and the ribbons
    and we remember another time,
    another place, another war.

Lonnie Henderson
    May 29, 1991
    DSCN0512.jpg

Im not old enough to have been involved in that war. I would however like to thank those that did fight. You are all heros no matter what anyone says. Our country should be thankful for all the work our service people do.

1 old 0311, im sorry that some have made you feel the way you do. Please accept my apology for all of those who really do not understand the pain that war can cause on an individual.

Hball
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Not making apologies, or for how OTHERS treated the Vietnam Vets, back in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

In comparison, treating the Indians, or African Americans, or the Japanese Americans that were rounded up, and taken to camps durng WWll, was also a grave miscarriage. But to hold in contempt the majority of the American population, for actions taken long ago , is also not right.

I salute ALL of you Viet vets , as well as every veteran of this great nation, no matter where, when or how you served.

- The universal brotherhood of man is our most precious possession--what there is of it.
    Mark Twain's Notebook
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thanks, First Sergeant. Nice to know that I'm some kind of hero now, after 40 years of not being able to mention that I am a combat veteran at any nice party involving nice, sheltered, protected folks.

After decades of movies, documentaries, and news stories portraying Vietnam vets as psychotic dopers, and worse, I now feel totally good about myself, and all it took was a simple act of Congress.

My goodness! Parades and parties, all for little old me? Can I wear my old uniform, maybe pin on my Purple Heart and Combat Infantryman Badge, stand around and receive the adoration of children and politicians all day long?

No, thanks. Way too little and way too late. A purely political gesture that is likely to be seized as political opportunity by too many politicians. Unfortunately, they will find a good number of old Vietnam vets ready to be used as props and stooges in their campaign ads and photo ops.

Best regards.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

I make a point to welcome home anyone I see with any indication they are a Vietnam vet. I was born in '73 so I only know about the war from post war stories and recollections from vets I know, but I can tell you that everyone in my household thanks you all for your service no matter the war/conflict/police action or whatever name they try to use instead of war.

Once again, thank you all who went to battle and also to those who prepared but were never called to battle.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

My Dad served,Korea Vietnam,I was a Brat and enlisted in 76 after I graduated High School,I served with a lot of Nam Vets,some seemed to be proud of what they did,others used alcohol to quiet and blur the hell they saw and endured,I'm a disabled Vet also,non service injury,When I see the kids in the Spinal Cord Injury unit and PT area I try to espress my gratitude,but get choked up and teared up and they say it's alright I knew what I was doing,I have no regrets
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links