Need Help for Marketing(Mil Sidearm Related)

This is a discussion on Need Help for Marketing(Mil Sidearm Related) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am working working on a marketing plan for my Marketing class in my Masters program for glock to replace the Beretta 92 SF as ...

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

I am working working on a marketing plan for my Marketing class in my Masters program for glock to replace the Beretta 92 SF as the offical Sidearm for MPs and Security Forces Members. Any info on why the Mil choose this firearm would be appreciated and also the advantages and disadvantages of 9mm over .40sw ammo
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

9MM is NATO. It has no ballistic advantage over the 40 S&W. If you want your presentation to be realistic you will have to overcome the no external safety issue.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    The Beretta was chosen in the finals against the Sig P226 for (what a cynic might consider) "price" reasons. Beretta evidently undercut Sig's bid by a very small (so small that cynic might think that some sort of "fix" was in) amount, and won the contract. You can find the whole sordid history of the process on line.

And yes, it is 9mm because NATO is 9mm. That isn't going to change any time soon, so if you're selling Glock to the military, it would have to be the 17/19 to have any real chance at success. A point you might raise is that numerous other military (and half the cops in the world, it seems) use Glocks.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Not trying to sound stupid but what would i search for Miltary sidearm bid and I was thinking the 19 because it is in use by the pilots of the AF not sure about other branches.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    "I can stop the BG in three main ways; the psychological (BG sees the weapon and stops), the nervous (I damage the nervous system too badly for the BG to function), or hydraulically (I punch enough big holes in said BG that they leak enough that they can no longer be a threat)." -D.S. of D.E.S. Training Inc. (Who taught my CWP class, and whom I happen to like greatly as an instructor)
    I have seen NO advantage of 9mm over anything other than small(er) caliber weapons other than a higher ammo capacity. (My Taurus for example; my .45 holds 12 rounds in the larger magazine, 9mm version holds 17. Which I believe you will need the extra 5 rounds to make up the difference.)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    9mm has a faster recovery time between shots than a 40. That's the only advantage.

Links