What is your opinion on this?

This is a discussion on What is your opinion on this? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ‘You [edited]!’ Wild CO 8-Year-Old Pepper Sprayed at School After Outburst | The Blaze...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What is your opinion on this?

Last edited by JD; April 6th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I admit that I behaved similarly at times. But, I was bullied in school because of my weight. The teachers/principals wouldn't do anything because they 'never caught the bullies giving me trouble'. So, I would get mad, act out (usually violently) and get in trouble. Not the way to handle it, I know, but... when you have the same problem from kindergarten through 6th grade, you kinda stop worrying about the proper channels. I would get in trouble, the bullies wouldn't.

But, as for this, I agree with it. I never had the police called to deal with me, but this kid deserved it. If you look at the video games he was playing, and the tv he was watching, it would probably all make sense, and I guarantee you, his mother would disagree. The pepper spray SEEMS a bit much, but, if I had to deal with this same type of problem for a third time, I would probably justify the pepper spray as well.

I enjoy violent video games/tv myself from time to time; but as an adult, I believe that I can tell the difference between the tv/video games and real life.

Would have been better with video and a taser, but as far as the use of force I have no problem with it. Kid was armed with a pointy stick. People have been killing people with pointy sticks since before recorded history. And he could have put somebody's eye out with that.
    RevolvingMag and Old School like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Pepper spray was 100% the way to go. Had they used physical force, either the police or the child could have been more seriously injured. In this case, I would think a taser would have been overboard. Looks like this situation was resolved easily and correctly. The mom is just whinning about her precious little snowflake and how he can do no harm even if he had a pointed stick and this was a repeated instance of having to be dealt with by the police. I blame the mom as to why this happened. Learn to raise your kids, right.

I hate to say this, but with the way he's going, and his Mother's "support", his life will end badly!
    archer51 and surefire7 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The pepper spray was not excessive. I would probably say it was as a parent, but when me and little Aidan got home I would probably wear his hide out, then promptly be arrested for child abuse as discipline is no longer recognized as such. His parents failed him. He is 8 so I cannot make him bear the full weight of the guilt. The school doesnt get blamed either. A child is raised in the home and then let out in the world. His mom should be pepper sprayed as well.......
    surefire7 likes this.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

The article is followed with a Poll. I voted no.

A concerned Mother would be getting some help for her son - not making excuses.

Thank you for voting!

Yes, using pepper spray on an 8-year-old is ridiculous. 13.95% (613 votes)

No, the officers were doing what was necessary. The kid had a weapon. 86.05% (3,781 votes)

Total Votes: 4,394
    archer51 likes this.

The kid got what he had coming.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Pepper spray was the right course of action given the circumstances of the event. He needs help or this will continue to escalate with dire consequences..
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I think the police made the right call. From what the article says, the kid had a history of violent outbursts at the school. Maybe the kid will think of the pepper spray the next time he even considers pulling another stunt like that.

From the looks of things this kid may as well get used to it.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    People have been killing people with pointy sticks since before recorded history.
    I vote for this as "Quote of the Day".
    Bkrazy and paullie like this.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Administrator
    I think the whole controversy is stupid. The police are not there to be your cuddle bears. It was a no win for the officers from the beginning. If the went hands on, they risked injury, no matter how minor. The pepper spray has very minimal injury risk and it got the job done. I'd be willing to bet the department has some sort of policy stating that spray be used prior to going hands on if at all possible.

I saw the interview with the mom and kid on the news the other night. The only thing that came to mind was "There's your problem".
    "Just blame Sixto"

It sure beats shooting the kid with a service weapon, spray seems like a viable alternative to me. I think it is extreme that the mother tolerates her son behaving like that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

thats what you get when you don't have a strong father figure around to help raise kids!
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links