NYPD switch back to revolvers? (merge) - Page 2

NYPD switch back to revolvers? (merge)

This is a discussion on NYPD switch back to revolvers? (merge) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ever try to shoot an attacking dog? It is very difficult. Small fast moving target with all of its vital organs underneath. I always found ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NYPD switch back to revolvers? (merge)

Ever try to shoot an attacking dog? It is very difficult. Small fast moving target with all of its vital organs underneath. I always found that it was much easier to beat a dog on the head with a baton... You'll either knock it silly, or kill it.

Where should I start.
    1-Your chasing a guy for smoking a joint-If you catch him after a warrant check he gets a summons unless you a narc the he's a keeper
    2-There was a Sgt. in charge of the little op.
    3-Technically it's a good shoot?? As far as training-for Dogs OC spray is recommended because dogs are hard to stop. A dog latched on to someone yes make muzzle contact and fire( what if it's a BG and cop wrestlling for a gun??) this would not be taught as it is to aggressive
    4-Accuracy in reporting of the news -forget it.
    There are alot of good officers in NYC that would have known better, was this a rookie mistake only if they weren't led by a SGT.

Quote Originally Posted by JKFrost68
    Ever try to shoot an attacking dog? It is very difficult.
    The instant it clamps down, take it out. Until then, it's a populated apartment complex with a small-ish, fast-moving target rampaging in the hallway. Yes, I've seen this in action (on a beach, which is far more roaming room for an onrushing dog.) A dog can't kill from one bite, not even the largest, meanest one alive. It'll surely hurt like hell, but spray-and-pray merely because it walks on four legs is insufficient justification, IMO, to endanger all of the families on the other side of the drywall.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm
    The instant it clamps down, take it out. Until then, it's a populated apartment complex with a small-ish, fast-moving target rampaging in the hallway. Yes, I've seen this in action (on a beach, which is far more roaming room for an onrushing dog.) A dog can't kill from one bite, not even the largest, meanest one alive. It'll surely hurt like hell, but spray-and-pray merely because it walks on four legs is insufficient justification, IMO, to endanger all of the families on the other side of the drywall.

I expect that a pit bull (or any other large dawg) nailing a jugular or femoral with one bite could be quite fatal.

Personally, I'm not going to let it clamp down on me if I can help it. I'm also not going to shoot my fellow officers in the legs or unload in a hallway.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

What bothers me is not so much that they missed the dog, but that they hit other cops. It sounds like they need to work on making sure that there isnt something behind/in front of the target they dont want to hit.

NYPD carries Glock 19's. They reporter probably doesn't know the difference.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by symr00
    NYPD carries Glock 19's. They reporter probably doesn't know the difference.
    The G19 is one of the carry options for the NYPD.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    "I am the only one in dis room responsible enough to handle dis Glock Fodie...."
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    If a pit is charging me or my family and if he is on my property he is going to get shot. I have seen way to many kids get maimed and disfigured by these dogs. One attacked a mother holding her two year old earlier this week. The dog snatched the kid out of her mother's arms and when it was all said and done the child needed 250 + stitches and had a whole host of injuries. Her father was on the local 6pm news and he said that his little girl was unrecognizable. Here is the news story from the local newspaper where this occured:

Pit bull bites mother, girl
    07/19/2006

By Arielle Kass
    Staff Writer
    arielle.kass@gwinnettdailypost.com

BARROW COUNTY — A 2-year-old girl who was bitten by a pit bull Monday remains in critical condition at Egleston Children’s Hospital, police said.
    Chief Deputy Murray Kogod, spokesman for the Barrow County Sheriff’s Office, said Tuesday that 2-year-old Cadence Gabrielle Lee and her mother, Racheal Boatright, were bitten by a pit bull at 1:15 p.m. Monday.
    Boatright, whose age was unavailable, was transferred from the home at 1513 Carl-Bethlehem Road to the Gwinnett Medical Center. Cadence was taken to Egleston by helicopter, Kogod said.
    He did not know where each had been bitten, but said he thought Cadence had received more than one bite from the dog. Boatright, who lives in Grayson, was in stable condition Tuesday morning and may have been released from the hospital, he said.
    The dog’s owner, 43-year-old Bruce Smith Jr., was arrested on a charge of misdemeanor possession of marijuana in an unrelated incident, Kogod said.

I have no love for these dogs as evidenced by some of my earlier posts on threads on this subject. Here are some CDC figures:
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; July 28th, 2006 at 02:35 AM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmak
    "I am the only one in dis room responsible enough to handle dis Glock Fodie...."
    I just showed that clip to my wife for the first time today. CLASSIC!!!!!!!

"Now kidz don do whut I jist did and play wiff a loaded weapon. Accidentz happens."
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Moderator
    I dont beleive in letting a Pit Bull bite me. They are too strong and powerful.

I was on patrol a few years ago when a 47 yr.old women took a shortcut across a yard rather then walk around the corner of they yard up to the next street. It was her last mistake. Two pits jumped the backyard fence like it wasnt there and attacked her.

She never had a chance. We'd have several complaints on the dogs before, the owners were known drug dealers and had gone as far as training the Pits to be guard dogs. They had a 8 foot verticle bar in the back yard that they would jump up on and grip with the bar with their teeth and hang on until the owner told them to let go. They had several bowling balls that they would toss around. A few of those bowling balls were ripped up and in pieces.They were enough of a problem that a few of the neighbors threatened to shoot them and basically told that to the Sheriff. He told them to do what is nessesary.

She was found face down in the grass. Most of her face was gone as was one of her arms. Her neck was severely chewed up and her head was barely attached. It took several days to get a positive ID.

The dogs were immediatley destroyed. The owners were'nt present at the time and came back a week later to a nasty situation.
    The skulls of those dogs are still at the Sheriff's Office and they are impressive.

Anyone that thinks they ought to let a dog "latch"on to them before shooting assumes alot.They are either very brave or very stupid or they know something about dog bites that I dont. A trained guard dog dosent just grab your leg and stop. He whips his head back and forth and trys to tear your leg off. I have seen a pit bull grab a dog nearly as big as it was and literally rip the dog in half in the space of about 5 seconds.

In this thread the cops were quilty of sloppy shooting at the most. No cop anywhere that I am aware of, will let a dog bite him if he can help it,nor is he required too. It would be a stupid thing to do. A a big dog can do enough damge to you in a few seconds that it can take months to heal up and recuperate from. In serious cases, the tissue and ligament damage could permantly cripple one for life. Most cops that have dealt with dogs understand this and are'nt willing to take the chance.

As one that has had to shoot one in self defense, I completley understand why they felt that it needed to be done. Never again will I underestimate the speed and ferocity of an attacking dog. Never again will I make the mistake of second guessing a shooter and accusing him of "jumping the gun" or shooting too fast. I also wont be quilty of arguing the point with internet commandos that assume, suppose and make statements of bravado with situations that they have never been in because high pitched emotion and thoughts take the place of reason and no amount of facts or reasonable argument can change their minds.

As it was, both of the owners recieved a year in jail for the crime that their dogs committed.They were also forbidden from ever owning Pit Bulls in the future.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    9mm revolvers and shooting to wound.
    Sort of goes together.
    Gotta love NYC.
    I escaped but I miss good pizza and bagels.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

, the fine officers in the thread seem to have forgotten all relevant safety training. "Damn the costs ... stop that mutt!!" That's going to get someone killed. It's not a Bengal tiger, for crying out loud. It's a dog. IMO, what with all that training, that's simply not good enough.
    Hmmmm. Worked EMS quite a bit. Worked with LE frequently. They didn't do anything wrong.

Obviously, there is a lot of missing info, but "the square range" does not apply. Yes, it was a dog, but that dog can do all the aforementioned tiger can do: sever radial/ulnar arteries, sever/lacerate the femoral artery, remove fingers and hands, and literally tear off your frank and beans.

Dogs are not infrequently trained/used to assault LE. Stats work out to 5.2 shots per officer. Not bad, considering the first and second officers in line probably fired most of the shots.

Get an Airsoft, and have someone roll a basketball, really fast, between you and a friend. Pretend that ball can permanently maim or potentially kill you....learning curve ahead.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
    (SNIP)
    I escaped but I miss good pizza and bagels.

AFS
    Me too!!!

By the way, everyone congratulate AFS as he's a new granddad.

I recall the New York Times (the paragon of firearms facts and accuracy in reporting) describing a shooting of which a .45 caliber Beretta was used. The problem was that this was at least ten years before the Beretta Cougar 8045 was even developed......

....I agree with some of the posters....I'd rather NOT have the dog latch on to me at all, let alone first.....I've been bitten by dogs a couple of times (and by smaller breeds) and it wasn't fun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links