NYPD switch back to revolvers? (merge)

This is a discussion on NYPD switch back to revolvers? (merge) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wondering what you guys think about this article . Myself I had to wonder what kind of training would allow someone to shoot at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYPD switch back to revolvers? (merge)

Procedure?

Just wondering what you guys think about this article . Myself I had to wonder what kind of training would allow someone to shoot at a moving target in such close proximity to others .

http://www.wired.com/wireservice/sto...toryId=1550637

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    New York City.

You just don't have to know much more than that.

....9mm revolvers none the less.

A team of Bronx police officers wounded three of their own when they fired more than two dozen shots at a charging pit bull during a residential dispute yesterday, police said.

The shooting occurred in the fourth-floor hallway of 480 Concord Avenue in the Mott Haven section, police said, as five patrol officers encountered the aggressive brown-and-white pit bull while responding to a call of a landlord-tenant argument at 12:10 a.m. yesterday. The police were not seriously injured.

Witnesses said the officers -- described by police sources as a sergeant and four rookies -- chased a teenager from the front of the building to the fourth floor, where he ran into an apartment. The teenager, identified by police as building resident Lenin Acevedo, 17, had been smoking marijuana in front of the building and bolted up the stairs when the police came, other tenants said.

Authorities said the officers encountered an aggressive pit bull in the fourth-floor hallway and fired 26 shots at the animal from their 9-mm service revolvers, killing it. The police did not say if the officers were pursuing someone.

Three of the five officers suffered minor injuries from graze wounds to their legs, and were in stable condition at Lincoln Hospital Center yesterday. A fourth officer was taken to the same hospital with a dog bite wound to the leg. He is in stable condition.

The incident comes a week after Newsday revealed an internal police report that shows officers fired 616 shots in 2005 -- 75 percent more than the 352 shots fired in 2004 -- even as the number of shooting incidents increased slightly, from 114 to 123.

According to the document, the NYPD's "2005 Firearms Discharge Report," dogs were involved in 32 police shootings in 2005, an increase of a little more than 25 percent from the 26 shootings involving canines the year before. It was not immediately clear from the document how many dogs were killed.

Paul Browne, a police spokesman, said yesterday the shooting appeared to be within departmental guidelines. At the building, the narrow, dimly lit hallway was riddled with bullet holes and spattered with blood yesterday. The door to the apartment was pocked with bullet holes and hanging from its top hinge. Residents there said police forced their way into the apartment in search of Acevedo.

"I don't see why my dog had to die," said Theresa Franco, 33, the owner of the 12-year-old pit bull, named Cookie and Red.

Franco said her four teenaged children and two infants belonging to relatives were also in the fourth-floor apartment at the time of the shooting. Acevedo, who police were chasing, ran through her apartment and down a fire escape, she said.

Last night, police said that Acevedo surrendered at the precinct and had been charged with criminal possession of marijuana and criminal trespassing.

NYPD switch back to revolvers?
    Sounds like some serious range work and safety training is in line, for these officers. A dog running around isn't to be feared. A dog clamping down is. At that point, take it out, via gun to the rib cage. Otherwise, as these officers have shown, bullets spraying around are worse than the "solution". Sort of like changing to revolvers ...
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 24th, 2006 at 11:09 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator

Talking

For Sure....I'll take the dog bite injury any day over the Bronx LEOs trying to save me from a Rogue Pit Bull Attack.

No! ~ PLEASE! STOP! ~ Just let the dog bite me...don't try to shoot it!

not good.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

VIP Member
    Are they all carrying Rugers with the interchangable cylinders, or Smiths?

I hope all of the injured officers recover quickly, after which everyone spends more time at the range!

1943 - 2009
    NYPD switch back to revolvers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....9mm revolvers none the less
    No, I'm afraid even the NYPD is not this backward. Unfortunately, newspaper reporters haven't a clue about the difference between a revolver and a pistol. To them, every police sidearm is a "service revolver".

26 shots? This is the classic "spray & pray" mentality.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    No, I'm afraid even the NYPD is not this backward. Unfortunately, newspaper reporters haven't a clue about the difference between a revolver and a pistol. To them, every police sidearm is a "service revolver".

Exactly. A journalist wouldn't know a revolver from a semi-auto. In fact, I'd guess that a 30-30 Winchester would be an assault rifle.

Sounds like the safest place in that hallway would be behind the pit bull.

Talking

Dogs can have guns--people can't
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch

Yup, I know....it was my weak attempt at sarcasm, pointing out the reporters mistake. Though it seems everyone involved in that article made their fair share of mistakes.

Assistant Administrator
    Merged in ptmmatssc's thread with this but sorry distortion - with the timing his start comes before yours!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Merged in ptmmatssc's thread with this but sorry distortion - with the timing his start comes before yours!
    DAMN!!!!!

LOL, just kidding.....no prob at all.

I have personally worked with 2 outstanding former NYPD street cops and underestimating there abilities to shoot along with ability to perform routine police work is a ridiculous move. The mean streets of the "Big Apple" will make you wise, or dead real quick!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksan
    I have personally worked with 2 outstanding former NYPD street cops and underestimating there abilities ... is a ridiculous move.
    Yes, but these two excellent examples aren't the ones doing the spray-and-pray approach in an apartment hallway. Badge or not, irrespective of the likely skills of their colleagues, the fine officers in the thread seem to have forgotten all relevant safety training. "Damn the costs ... stop that mutt!!" That's going to get someone killed. It's not a Bengal tiger, for crying out loud. It's a dog. IMO, what with all that training, that's simply not good enough.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links