Who'll help a true american hero be recognized?

Who'll help a true american hero be recognized?

This is a discussion on Who'll help a true american hero be recognized? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm sure the members here in my age group are aware of who Audie Murphy was. For the younger members who might not know, he ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eagleks

Thread: Who'll help a true american hero be recognized?

VIP Member

Thumbs up Who'll help a true american hero be recognized?

I'm sure the members here in my age group are aware of who Audie Murphy was. For the younger members who might not know, he was the most decorated soldier of WWII. He not only received the Medal of Honor, but also every other award for valor the military has, some more than once.

There is a petition in progress to have him awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. The link below is to the Audie L. Murphy Memorial site. On the first page is a link to the petition. Anyone interested in signing please do so. Help honor a true American Hero.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

He's the subject of the movie To Hell and Back. Clip here.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I just signed it, he deserves this medal as much or more than anyone else they might give it to!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

President Truman once remarked that he would rather have received the Medal of Honor than be president - because it meant more. Audi Murphy embodied honor and courage.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I never understood this. Why give medals to people who are already dead? As you say, he already got a boat load of medals while he was alive to see them. It isn't like he was unrecognized in his own time. What's the point of doing this now?

Quote Originally Posted by BaconHunter View Post
    I don't mean to offend anyone, but I never understood this. Why give medals to people who are already dead? As you say, he already got a boat load of medals while he was alive to see them. It isn't like he was unrecognized in his own time. What's the point of doing this now?
    Seems like a reasonable question to me. He was paraded thru New York, became an actor and acted himself in the movie about himself, etc.

Awards :
    Medal of Honor
    Distinguished Service Cross
    Silver Star (2)
    Legion of Merit
    Bronze Star (2)
    Purple Heart (3)
    French Legion of Honor[1]
    French Croix de guerre (+ Palm)[1]
    Belgian Croix de guerre 1940 Palm[1]
    Rotorblade likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I think the awarding, posthumously, of The Presidential Medal of Freedom, is deserving of this person who, by his actions while serving in the military of the United States of America, exemplified duty, honor, and country above personal danger. It's not about the honors he has received...it is about the recognition and memory he deserves based on his accomplishments of the time. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    I had the privilege of standing at his grave side and telling his story to my son a few weeks ago.

Links