Just 6 police, 2 firetrucks, and an ambulance in front of my house busting

This is a discussion on Just 6 police, 2 firetrucks, and an ambulance in front of my house busting within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in a middle class neighborhood but there are some crimes that happen frequently (drug dealing, theft, dog fights, etc). Right now there was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Just 6 police, 2 firetrucks, and an ambulance in front of my house busting

I live in a middle class neighborhood but there are some crimes that happen frequently (drug dealing, theft, dog fights, etc).

Right now there was 4 police cars, 2 undercover cars, 1 crime scene SUV, 2 firetrucks, and 1 ambulance out front.

All I know is that the police cars all arrive VERY fast and they had their guns drawn and kicked down the door.

I was outside talking to another neighbor and supposedly, the woman that lives in the house shot themselves in the foot and called the police themselves.

Is this typical procedure to have that many police, firemen, and ambulances there and a crime scene vehicle?

IMO there has to be more than accidentally shooting yourself in the foot.

Probably standard procedure for ANY Gunshot call.

Firetrucks are a weird touch though.
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post

Firetruck and ambulance arrived about 4 minutes after police kicked down the door

I would say that there is not much going on in the overall area for that kind of a response. A couple units and the fire units and an ambulance would seem about right. The fire units respond as they often have an EMT or Paramed on board and they sometimes roll as a combined unit. In addition their response time is often better than an ambulance co.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post

Fire truck = taxi for paramedic helpers. I always liked having a few extra hands available.

BTW, they love being called Paramedic Helpers. LOL
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    In my city it would not be uncommon for a fire unit to respond with the ems unit, they would also dispatch the battalion chief and put a medflight on stand by, that's standard for all trauma calls. Our fire and ems are city run, they mainly send the engine for manpower since our medic units only staff a medic and driver. They actually send an engine on most ems runs except the most basic of calls (cut finger for example).

Police response would have no fewer than two patrol units and patrol sergeant all running lights and siren. The crime scene and any other units needed will be called by the sergeant. The police response I described would be for a call that is known to be self inflected, if its unknown who the shooter is, you would see nearly all patrol officers dispatched, which is 6 to 8 depending on shift.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Fire truck = taxi for paramedic helpers. I always liked having a few extra hands available.

BTW, they love being called Paramedic Helpers. LOL
    Not sure if you meant that as a joke or not. Anyway, I've too much respect for these folks to poke fun at them. They've hauled me to the ER and hauled my wife to the ER and we are both here to tell about it. As for the non-paramedic firefighters, they've been out for a minor issue which wasn't a real emergency but might have become one; much appreciated.

Minus the guns drawn and kicking in the door that is about the same as we had when a neighbors two year old drowned in a back yard pool a couple months ago. Fire engines or trucks are, like others have said more than likely manpower for the medics or possibly to standby for a helicopter.

Really that is a pretty typical response for something that is definitely going to involve some paperwork. The detectives are going to make sure patrol crosses their "T"s and dots their "I"s and the crime scene folks are just there to make sure things really did happen the way the caller said they did.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not sure if you meant that as a joke or not. Anyway, I've too much respect for these folks to poke fun at them. They've hauled me to the ER and hauled my wife to the ER and we are both here to tell about it. As for the non-paramedic firefighters, they've been out for a minor issue which wasn't a real emergency but might have become one; much appreciated.
    I spent close to 15 years in the fire service as a paramedic and as a command officer. The whole paramedic helper thing was a running joke at our stations. Absolutely no malice at all involved.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    Sounds about right to me, esp. if there isnt much else going on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Englewood CO, winter 1998.

Roommate got home sometime around 3am after plowing snow for the last 14 hours. Our street had 10 inches and had not been plowed yet.

11am, landlord doing some work on the basement unit asks us if the red pickup belonged to any of us. 'Rock' speaks up - "Yeah, mine, why?"..."There is a tow truck hooking up to it". He runs out the door in sweat pants, robe, and tennis shoes - no socks.

5 minuets later we hear sirens. Figure there was an accident due to poor road conditions. Then more sirens...and more...and more. My other roommate and I look outside and the street was blocked 3 cruisers wide on both sides with both marked and unmarked patrol cars, and there are still sirens a comin'. Within 20 minuets there are 25+ patrol cars in the street, on the sidewalk one on the neighbors front yard, adjoining parking lots on scene...and one code enforcement vehicle...and more sirens in the distance.

Here's what happened.

Rock got home, tired, and could not distinguish where the driveways were and ended up blocking half of the neighbors driveway. Code Nazi wrote a ticket, and called for a tow truck.

Rock ran out, to move pickup. Code Nazi stopped him and told him he could not do anything since the tow truck was present. He could either pay the hook fee (tow truck was not hooked up yet, still prepping), or pick it up at impound for significantly more. Rock argued briefly, griped about the "rule" about not being able to just move the truck, called the Code Nazi a B... and then went to talk to the tow truck driver. At this point evidently the CN talked to her collar for reinforcements.

Rock having discussed calmly with the tow truck driver (he knew he was just doing his job, had no malice towards him) was about to come back to the house to get his wallet when the first responder whipped up, jumped out of his cruiser w/o putting it in park, the cruiser narrowly missing both Rock and the tow truck driver continued on into the front yard with the LEO in foot pursuit. The second arriving LEO shows up and assists in helping the first LEO in tackling Rock in the snow for trying to run (he was getting out of the street seeing the second LEO coming), which evidently precipitated an "All hands on deck" call from the CN.

If there was an officer on duty, he/she was on scene, including detectives. My other roommate, the landlord and I could do nothing but laugh at the whole scene because the patrol cars kept coming lights and sirens well after Rock was sitting in a car.

30 minuets later, after we had gone back inside, there is a knock at the door. There's Rock, cuffed, with two officers bracketing him. He needs is wallet for his ID. Rock gets a ticket for Disorderly Conduct and is released. The tow truck driver pushes his pickup forward the 5 feet and does not charge him, having had the best entertainment he has had in years.

Rock goes to court to fight the ticket. Rock explains what happens to the Judge, who does not believe him about the LEO response. Rock tells the Judge to either ask one of the officers present in the courtroom, or check the dispatch log. The Judge asks one of the officers, who confirms the LEO presence, and the tow truck driver confirms Rocks story of his interaction with the CN, his personal talk with him [Rock], and the near miss with the first responder.

The Judge throws out the ticket.

That must have been a slow day.
    Last edited by Sticks; April 27th, 2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Wrong Year
    RevolvingMag and JoJoGunn like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Administrator
    Keep in mind there is almost always something that gets lost in translation from the caller, call taker, dispatcher and LEO. So who knows what info actually reach the patrol car. It was probably just " a shooting at XXX Main St".
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Keep in mind there is almost always something that gets lost in translation from the caller, call taker, dispatcher and LEO. So who knows what info actually reach the patrol car. It was probably just " a shooting at XXX Main St".
    I'm not even in law enforcement and I'd second this one. I know a lot of officers and I know how they have to think. Anytime a firearm is involved in an injury it's one of two things: negligence or malice. Kicking down the door may have been a little extreme, but in the case of negligence the officers have to protect themselves against a potentially unsafe situation with someone mishandling a firearm. In a malicious situation they obviously have to protect themselves. The problem is there's not necessarily a way to know which situation it is. Maybe hubby or boyfriend got angry at his the woman and was waving a gun around and in his rage he "accidentally" shot his her in the foot without meaning to. She calls and says she was accidentally shot in the foot, because she loves hubby (despite his raging alcoholism) and doesn't want him to get in trouble. Hasn't anyone ever watched Cops? Or Jerry Springer? The cops responding don't know the backstory, so they have to assume the worst. Kicking down the door sounds a little over the top to me, but they do have to protect themselves.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Can someone explain why a firetruck needs to arrive with the EMS unit on a medical call?

It seems so unnecessary. I have heard of no medical emergencies where the victim suddenly bursts into flames. Is there a possibility that's why they are calling for an ambulance is because they are on fire? What's the deal there?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Can someone explain why a firetruck needs to arrive with the EMS unit on a medical call?

It seems so unnecessary. I have heard of no medical emergencies where the victim suddenly bursts into flames. Is there a possibility that's why they are calling for an ambulance is because they are on fire? What's the deal there?
    Around here, a lot of times the fire crew can get there faster. That and the EMS techs may need assistance with equipment or moving a patient. The fire crews usually have at least a couple people trained in emergency medical procedures, so they're able to assist if a patient is combative, very heavy, or if something needs to be done to free the patient from a situation such as rubble. Most EMS units have two people around here. The fire crew is generally able to stabilize a patient before the EMS can arrive or can assist the EMS unit with locking down the situation.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links