Dallas Police Chief

Dallas Police Chief

This is a discussion on Dallas Police Chief within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was listening to a local sports talk station (The Ticket). They had on Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle, who from what I can tell ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JT [OP]

Dallas Police Chief

I was listening to a local sports talk station (The Ticket). They had on Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle, who from what I can tell is better than the former Chief of Police, Terrell Bolton. Of course just about anyone would be better than Bolton.

At one point the talk show host asks Chief Kunkle when the last time he fired his gun was. Kunkle replied, “I only shoot it once a year to qualify”, and then went on to say that he "shoots ok, but not great” (or something like that).

I know you hear talk about some officers only shooting once a year to qualify, but it is pretty sad when the Chief of Police comes out and admits it.

Then they got on the topic of gun control:

Talk Show Host: “Where do you stand on gun control?”

Chief Kunkle: “I don’t have much of an opinion either way.”

He then admitted that he got “drawn in” to the CHL debate because the “chiefs took a stand against it” and “he ended up making a few speeches.”
    Last edited by JT; July 25th, 2006 at 05:16 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sad but true example of most but not all police administration in america today .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    From what I know, and have heard from talking with Dallas Officers, Kunkle is a much better Chief than Bolton.

One day he was on his way to lunch when a domestic disturbance was called in, and the dispatcher was frantically trying to reach an available unit to respond, when none was available, Kunkle fired up his radio, answering the call with "this is Dallas 1 en route". Kunkle made the arrest on the armed man, took him to the lockup, and returned to work.

Now to me, it really doesnt matter if a chief shoots all that much, what matters is if he is willing to stand with his officers and is even willing to go where they go and do what they do. Kunkle has thus far proved his worth in that respect, and is respected by many in the DPD.
    Fear No Evil.

JT [OP]
    Like I said, from what I hear he is better than Bolton. But it does matter to me that he only fires his weapon once a year to qualify. Especially if he is actually responding to calls. In my book it is a bad example, and irresponsible. If he is going to carry a weapon, he should do a reasonable amount of training with it.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Assistant Administrator
    I guess even tho it seems less than a good example - he is being honest and up front.

It does seem many departments nation wide have inadequate training schedules - I would if deciding standards insist on quarterly at very least - but that's in an ideal world!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

In my book it is a bad example, and irresponsible.
    Now slow down there little fella ... think twice , post once oo( pay no mind to me i am a bad example )

This man rides a desk , in his day to day life he neither needs nor cares about what is on his hip , its just part of getting dressed in the morning .. ( see above post on sad commentairy lol ) . He is any other corperate manager ..... except he has the " nads " to go brace down an armed perp . Ill tell you what , tomorrow morning you go talk to YOUR boss and explain , my ( wife , sister , cuson , whoeaver ) has this friend , and her boyfriend beats hell out of her .. Lets you and me go over and help her move out .. See what he says ... Dont mention that he is known to be a felon and is beating hell out of her this instant ... just get him to go with the given facts .... then you cuss this fella .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Even if he isn't a die-hard enemy of freedom, by going ahead and "making a coupla speeches", he did enough damage to make him persona non grata in my book.

But worse yet, he has publicly admitted a lack of moral courage. He lent his efforts, through those speeches, to something he didn't really believe in, thus giving the impression that he did, to mollify his buddies in some organization.

Coward. Liar.

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    Now slow down there little fella ... think twice , post once oo( pay no mind to me i am a bad example )

This man rides a desk , in his day to day life he neither needs nor cares about what is on his hip , its just part of getting dressed in the morning .. ( see above post on sad commentairy lol ) . He is any other corperate manager ..... except he has the " nads " to go brace down an armed perp . Ill tell you what , tomorrow morning you go talk to YOUR boss and explain , my ( wife , sister , cuson , whoeaver ) has this friend , and her boyfriend beats hell out of her .. Lets you and me go over and help her move out .. See what he says ... Dont mention that he is known to be a felon and is beating hell out of her this instant ... just get him to go with the given facts .... then you cuss this fella .
    Now you “slow down there little fella”. I did not “cuss this fella”. I did not rip him or attack him. I am the last one to bash cops. Did I say he is a bad Chief? No.

But I will give my opinion on things I know about. Firing a deadly weapon one time a year is a bad example. Not taking time to properly train with a deadly weapon, especially when you may be called upon to use it in the line of duty, is irresponsible. How can you argue with that?

Like I said, I’m not bashing cops in general, or him. But I have every right to comment on irresponsible behavior related to firearms. Most cops will back me up on my views.

JT [OP]
    Let me restate that I did not post this thread to turn into cop bashing. That’s the last thing I wanted.

What I was doing was pointing out irresponsible behavior by the head of the Dallas Police Department, when it comes to firearm training. By pointing this out, I was not saying he was a bad chief, or a bad person. Many in the Dallas Police Department like him, and indications are he is a much better chief than his predecessor. But I firmly believe that if you are going to carry a weapon, you should properly train with it. This goes for police (if they are on the street or behind a desk), military, and civilians.

I think this may have already gotten out of hands. Moderators – please feel free to kill this thread if you think it is necessary (not that you need my permission).

Jt agreed you do have a right to an opinion , and to post it . Howeaver I will have mine and post it also ... now lets take your issues one by one ..

1. " Firing a deadly weapon one time a year is a bad example. "
    Sorry but on many depts this is still the qualification because it is what the state mandates for proficency .
    2. " Not taking time to properly train with a deadly weapon, especially when you may be called upon to use it in the line of duty, is irresponsible. "
    again Sorry they are maintaining thier training as mandated by the state , as well as the budget made avalable to them by the local gvt .

This guy admitted the standard . in place .. tho he only spoke of himself . on training and not his whole dept .. that is i suspect the state mandated standard .

since you did not rip or attack this fella maby we shoud re visit this statement
    In my book it is a bad example, and irresponsible. If he is going to carry a weapon, he should do a reasonable amount of training with it.
    You may well dislike my opinion , or me personaly , and that is ok . But lets Whoa a bit and consider facts .. IMHO he as a dammed desk jocky wet above and beyond , and if i dont agree with him i can still respect him . But then i have been there done that on the same type calls , he chose to on his own . I will go with educate him gently not attack him or call him irresponsible .

Jt in the " irresponsible behavior by the head of the Dallas Police Department, when it comes to firearm training. " I have to somewhat agree with you ( with the points mentioned in the above post noted ) in the sense that NO dept gets the training needed . The folks who pay the taxes dont want to fund any LE dept to the level to train . That is also sad but true ... when it comes to .gov LE is allways the runt of the litter trying to get enough to survive .

edited by myself to clearify on re read

JT [OP]
    Jt agreed you do have a right to an opinion , and to post it . Howeaver I will have mine and post it also ... now lets take your issues one by one ..
    When did I say you did not have a right to post you opinion? You have a right to post it, and I have a right to reply.
    1. " Firing a deadly weapon one time a year is a bad example. "
    Sorry but on many depts this is still the qualification because it is what the state mandates for proficency .
    I am well aware that it is. That does not make it any less a bad example, or a bad training procedure.
    2. " Not taking time to properly train with a deadly weapon, especially when you may be called upon to use it in the line of duty, is irresponsible. "
    again Sorry they are maintaining thier training as mandated by the state , as well as the budget made avalable to them by the local gvt .
    Like I said that does not make it any less irresponsible.
    You may well dislike my opinion , or me personaly , and that is ok . .
    When did I say I didn’t like you? Don’t mistake a disagreement for a personal attack.
    But lets Whoa a bit and consider facts .. IMHO he as a dammed desk jocky wet above and beyond , and if i dont agree with him i can still respect him . But then i have been there done that on the same type calls , he chose to on his own . I will go with educate him gently not attack him or call him irresponsible .
    I didn’t say I disrespect him, or say that he is an irresponsible person. I said his weapon training was irresponsible.
    Last edited by JT; July 25th, 2006 at 05:52 PM.

Ok Jt I recognise your points tho i personaly think you are mistaken in perspective on this issue , I will drop it here with a gentlemans agreement that we disagree on this fella , tho i do admit to side with you that ALL LE desperately needs more training . IMHO this begins with " earmarked " budget items that cannot be spent on other things . ... anyway shake hands and go on to the next topic LOL .

JT [OP]
    Jt in the " irresponsible behavior by the head of the Dallas Police Department, when it comes to firearm training. " I have to somewhat agree with you ( with the points mentioned in the above post noted ) in the sense that NO dept gets the training needed . The folks who pay the taxes dont want to fund any LE dept to the level to train . That is also sad but true ... when it comes to .gov LE is allways the runt of the litter trying to get enough to survive .

edited by myself to clearify on re read
    I agree.

But many Police Officers train on thier own time, and/or are able to work in more than the minimum required once a year time while on duty.

LOL Jt good enough , maby someday we will invade a " dennys " for coffee and really argue it up ... till then see ya on the next thread .. be well be safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links