LEO accidentally shoots another LEO when canine lunges

This is a discussion on LEO accidentally shoots another LEO when canine lunges within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; K-9 lunges, deputy shoots fellow cop in neck Police Sgt. Al Mellon said Tuesday that Maul was trying to holster his pistol when his police ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By 64zebra

Thread: LEO accidentally shoots another LEO when canine lunges

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

LEO accidentally shoots another LEO when canine lunges

K-9 lunges, deputy shoots fellow cop in neck

Police Sgt. Al Mellon said Tuesday that Maul was trying to holster his pistol when his police dog lunged toward Elizabeth Riley, throwing him off balance.

As he tried to regain his balance, Maul accidentally fired and hit Guiducci, who had bent down to handcuff the woman, Mellon said.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

As he tried to regain his balance, Maul accidentally fired and hit Guiducci, who had bent down to handcuff the woman, Mellon said.

It's a 'finger on the trigger' thing...not good. Hope all heals and goes well.
    Old School and PAcanis like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hope all turns out ok. You have to follow the rules all of the time.
    Old School likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

It's a 'finger on the trigger' thing...not good. Hope all heals and goes well.
    +1 If his finger had not been on the trigger. An unfortunate incident for both officers.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

While that is a good possibility, I see nothing in the article that actually states that. I wonder if his finger might have been properly indexed and went to the trigger in a reflexive action while trying to regain his balance?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I wonder if this was a sympathetic reflex reaction. Recently there was a thread citing an article basically saying, IIRC, that there are zero incidents of real world sympathetic reflex reactions. Maybe this was it?

Finger On The Trigger - Mistake Or Tactical Advantage?

Try explaining that "hickey" to your wife...Whats that on your neck..ah I was shot...what was her name
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    can you say fired?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    no I can't, and no reasonable agency would fire over this given the circumstances (cuffing suspect, rocky terrain, K9 lunging)

were you fired for your range mishaps/NDs?

would be interesting to see mock up of how this happened, situations like this are dynamic and with K9 involved it adds a whole other dimension
    the one thing that I would look at from a training standpoint is was there another officer available to have gun drawn for covering the contact officer in order for the K9 officer to use both hands ton control dog and concentrate solely on that? meaning so he could holster sooner than he was trying to
    Stubborn likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

You normally won't get fired for an accident, You'll get fired for lying about it. Accidents happen, tell the truth, take the days off and go to vegas. Come back do the retraining and move on.

And I'm not implying that is what happened here..just stating a fact.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    were you fired for your range mishaps/NDs?
    Have never had one. But I sure saw some, and never wanted to be around any of those guys..... when they were handling a gun.
    He should be written up, warned, and on a temporary probation. There is no excuse for not maintaining control of the gun, and doing it appropriately given the circumstances, terrain, situation, dog, etc. IF he's not smart enough to "adjust" and "anticipate" to those factors, take his gun away from him (desk duty)
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

mkh
    Not enough information to tel if it was an accident or negligent weapon handling. Lets give the officer the benefit of the doubt.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    You normally won't get fired for an accident, You'll get fired for lying about it. Accidents happen, tell the truth, take the days off and go to vegas. Come back do the retraining and move on.

And I'm not implying that is what happened here..just stating a fact.
    yep, tell the truth, if you lie you fry

I do not agree with the ofc getting any discipline on this if it was as described....a big K9 dog lunging on rocky terrain as he is holstering, pulling him off balance...no telling how he fell, which direction, etc, shouldn't be written up/suspended for a dog pulling you off balance while you are trying to holster
    we may not get any more details on this though
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links