Ideal patrol car and how would you equip it?

This is a discussion on Ideal patrol car and how would you equip it? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is just for fun, nothing serious. What would your ideal patrol car be, this is for LEO's and security guards. Mine would be a ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Ideal patrol car and how would you equip it?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Ideal patrol car and how would you equip it?

This is just for fun, nothing serious. What would your ideal patrol car be, this is for LEO's and security guards. Mine would be a 4X4 four door pickup like a Ford F-250 or Chevy 2500. I think they need to be heavy duty to withstand the rigors of patrol work, capable of cranking at very low temps and have the ability to have 2 or even 3 batteries installed to run equipment. You have the bed to haul equipment, large evidence, or ATV/Bicycles in for different patrol areas, and you can put a tool box in with multiple locks for weapons, extra patrol gear, and tac gear. It should also be equipped with a cage for people to be transported to detention facilities and held in security until a wagon can arrive to process them. They can be equipped with off road tires for those times when going off road may be the thing to do and LED lightbars on the roof, in the grill, or over the dash/back window and it would be possible to mount lights on the tool box as well as is the individual officers preference. Utilitiy lights on the back and front bumper as well as mounted on the door posts would be useful for area searches, crime scene lighting, and traffic stops in addition to the takedown and alley lights on the light bars. Instead of heavily modifying the interior for electronics computer stands could be mounted on the passenger side of the transmission bump that runs down the middle of the vehicle and there is ample room between the front seat and dash for control boxes. They could even be mounted just to the right of the steering column to be out of the way and the radios could be mounted under the arm rest/ center console to save space and mount the mics on the computer stand. radar guns and operating equipment would be mounted on the dashboard and in back glass and sirens have plenty of room for two or three speakers in the area behind the grill. The 4X4 truck has more room for light and sound equipment making it safer for the officer running emergent or parked on the roadside. Last but not least the vehicles themselves make any obstacle mountable, the officer rides higher for more visibilty to observe crime in progress and has more leg, arm, and body room to accommodate gear, armor, and personal comfort. This is how I would pick my vehicle and outfit it for patrol use, what would you use and how would you set it up if you could design it from scratch.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Don't forget the blinking amber light on top.

This is going to be a cool thread

As cool as it would be to have on of those seized european hyper-rides (police Lambo anyone?) its just not practical. This is going to sound silly, but the Crown Vic is actually a great police car. It's not fast, but its very comfortable and has lots of room. Lots of radio equip, weapons, armor etc...with room to spare. Huge back seat, which makes it very easy to haul off a crack head thats trying to fight. (It's tough to cram a flailing psycho into a smaller car).

On the other hand, if I had my choice, i'd probably take a Tahoe. Lots of space for stuff and people, and a great view of the road. Downside is that its just a little tougher to load up a flailing psycho due to the extra height. The AWD is also nice when it gets wet or slippery. Also nicer for driving over curbs if the situation requires.

Wait, change that. I'd take an Audi S8. AWD, super fast, roomy, fun.
    Although, an M5 would get the job done just the same, with that nasty V10 under the hood.
    Screw it, give me a Nissan 370z. Super quick, and lets face it, the BG's will never know im there till its too late. How cool would a white 370 be with hide-away lights??

Actually, no. Scratch all of the above. Ideally, I want the A-Team van. No changes. I'll take it just like it is. OK, maybe a JATO pack for pursuits....

OP, thanks for the post.... This is gonna be fun!

Administrator
    Of all the patrol cars I've had, I got to agree the old standard vic is probably best. I really like my Tahoe now, but there is no way in Gods green earth I'd want a 4x4 anything for a patrol car.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

^ Yea. AWD on demand is ok, but for 99% of patrol duties, the RWD is my preference.

but thats the beauty of a 4x4 configuration, all full size heavy duty pickups are rear wheel drive unless you manually select 4x4 high or low, so you still have the power and torque of the rear wheel drive with the option of off road capability, although now that I think about it, the newer surburbans have all the same benefits as the pickup truck with the added value of the back being closed off, so more room for equipment in the back as well as atvs/bikes, as for the capabilities and comfort of a crown vic, there are very few things i would change, but they sit too low to the ground, on wet roads and snow they fishtail when taking off and can cause crashes at pursuit speeds, aka 45 in snow/ice. A 4x4 option really would help with grip and stability in those situations i think
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Sixto, thats the beauty of the 4X4 config, all heavy duty trucks made in this country are rear wheel drive standard with 4x4 switches to turn it on and off, so you still get the rear wheel power, but the 4x4 advantage if a suspect wants to try going off road

VIP Member
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I think all that brass and links is going to scratch the paint on your shiny suburban. But it sure would help on those dark deserted roads, when trying to pull people over in the middle of the night, and they take off because you are un-marked.
    enk5 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It really depends on where you are. Here in the mountains road conditions in the winter are constantly changing and modern awd systems do a pretty good job of being there when you need them and getting out of the way when you don't.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OPFOR, i need one of those

I was thinking a 40 mega-watt plasma rifle in a M240B configuration....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar

With the words police in dark gray lettering, that would be epic.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

is that the new interceptor?

Four flat tires, broken radar, and an engine running on only two cyclinders...I'm just sayin...
    enk5, Stubborn and Bark'n like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links