The End of Duty for an Old Friend

This is a discussion on The End of Duty for an Old Friend within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For many of us, this is the end of an era of an old warhorse, remembered with affection and respect. Fort Rucker retires Huey helicopters ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The End of Duty for an Old Friend

For many of us, this is the end of an era of an old warhorse, remembered with affection and respect.

Fort Rucker retires Huey helicopters | Dothan Eagle

Ft. Rucker retired the last three UH-1 Hueys on Tuesday. What an incredibly dependable aircraft and one that Vietnam Era military members will never forget.
    pistola likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

A lot of fond memories of the Huey!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

And my company still keeps making T-53 engines! That powerplant started out at about 700 shp and is now rated at double that.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Years ago there was a book called "Chickenhawk"IIRC about a chopper pilot in Nam,there were several funny stories,one that I remember was they went on a beer run for the Squadron,they loaded the Chopper so full that they did a bouncing takeoff with the Crew Chief running alongside until they got enough forward speed and lift that he jumped in,but they weren't about to unload any beer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Another story I have is a guy was working for me that was a Crew Chief in Nam,after he got out he was in a bar with an old Huey pilot when they decided to go to Fort Riley and take one up for a little ride,he said they were flying around when all of a sudden they had 2 gunships came up alongside and ordered them to land,the Pilot was sentenced to Federal time and the Crew Chief got probation with a stern warning
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

I know that we are still using a variant of them, as well as the Cobra.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Sad for sure, I've always been fond of the Huey even after the Cobra and Apache arrived on the scene, helicopters are freakin' cool and it all started with the Huey.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

There is no doubt in anybodys mind that the Huey saved a lot of lives,not only as a medevac,but being able to provide resupplies of troops and ammo,and as gunships.I remember my Dad being stationed at Wiesbaden Air Force Base in Stuttgart Germany in 1969,we lived in Army Housing and I will never forgrt the Helicopter parking areas,there were a whole buncha Hueys and guarded by a couple of Soldiers with billy clubs

The Air Force continues using the Huey for VIP support in the DC area and for missile field support...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

The Huey will be like the C-47/DC-3...versions of it will be flying for decades yet...all over the world...
    msgt/ret and First Sgt like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Ex Member
    As a Jar Head we didn't use them, 46's, and the 53, but I saw a LOT of them in Quang Tri.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    As a Jar Head we didn't use them, 46's, and the 53, but I saw a LOT of them in Quang Tri.
    Actually, we use them now, the updated version has 4 blades on the rotor, and I have seen them used in a gunship role. They don't get used much as a utility chopper anymore.

The 46's, 53's and new Osprey tend to get to do the heavy lifting.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The Huey will be like the C-47/DC-3...versions of it will be flying for decades yet...all over the world...
    Old warhorses never die. Back in 1989 when I was stationed at Altus, OK we had a crew go to an air show in Vancouver, BC, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the C-47 there was a 50 ship fly over of C-47s and DC-3s.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I still remember my first chopper ride as a cadet in high school was in a vietnam era huey, nothing like sitting on the side holding the hand holds with my legs out the side and the wind whipping by. One of my best memories of being a sea cadet.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    I had 3 uncles in Vietnam on Hueys...one a gunship pilot, one a transport pilot, and one a door gunner
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links