Illinois Man Faces 75 Years for Recording LEO conversation

This is a discussion on Illinois Man Faces 75 Years for Recording LEO conversation within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No joke...5 Class 1 felony charges have been files against an Illinois man for audio recording conversations with Police Officers without their permission... Valley Man ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Illinois Man Faces 75 Years for Recording LEO conversation

No joke...5 Class 1 felony charges have been files against an Illinois man for audio recording conversations with Police Officers without their permission...

Valley Man Faces 75 Years In Prison For Recording Law Enforcement - MyWabashValley.com

Note: You need to watch the video to get the full story

It appears Illinois is really crapping on the Constitution...here, its the First Amendment...

We all know how they treat the Second Amendment...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out, would love to be on the jury, perfect case for jury nullification.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    I don't see hows its a 1st amendment violation, but 75 years?! Wow.
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Never thought my cell phone could land me in more trouble then my gun. Let see if I understand this. It all started with a guy recording in a court room. Not a good idea to argue with a Judge. Then the SA decided to show the world how bad IL laws are by adding 4 more charges for recording in public places. IMO You should be able to record anything you want in public spaces. Hopefully IL will fix this law, but I have my doubts. From a outsiders point of view, IL appears to be a thug government and they will want control over information.

Warning! Warning! Warning!

If you are living in Illinois: GET OUT NOW!
    Guantes, Stubborn and DamnitBob like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    In Illinois you can get all the justice money can buy!

VIP Member
    Wow. The punishment here does not seem to fit the crime. Additionally, if the news reporters recorded their conversation with the deputy that inquired why they were shooting video in a unused courtroom, they, by their own admission on the tape, have recorded a cop and should be facing the same fate as the "perp" in the story.

If the video is right, there are 13 states where it is illegal to record a cop, in any way, while he is on duty. The most interesting quote in the story was that if you are talking to the cops and you are recording the exact same conversation as the cops, they are home free, you are a felon. If this makes any sense to someone here, please explain it - I don't get that as being reasonable except in a police state. I could see it if the same rules applied to everyone - equal protection under the law - but not in a bifurcated system as appears to exist now.
    FiremanPaul likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Outside of specific incidents where recording could have a detrimental effect on the outcome of an incident it sounds like a CS law that could easily breed unprofessionalism.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

It's hard to twist the truth or lie when it's recorded,The PD I worked for issued voice recorders to Officers,we were instructed to record any interactions we had with the Public,It was intended to protect LEO's from people claiming we did or said something that wasn't true.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'd rather take my chances with California, than with Illinois.

It's the most corrupt state in the union, OMO

Sent from my phone
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

And their Governor was such a honest guy. Never mind, he was impeached. I lived in Illinois for four years, sure am glad I no longer do. If you do nothing wrong what do you have to hide? The government uses surveillance cameras, traffic cameras, and news videos to prosecute the public. And now the citizens of a free nation are forbidden to record what they see and hear?
    Motto of the Lance Nuclear Missile System: :Nuke em till they glow, then shoot them in the dark!

As if I didn't have enough reasons to never set foot in that state.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I will NEVER go to Illinois. I don't care if I get offered a million dollars a year to work there. What is your life, your family's life, and your well being worth to you?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Illinois: the emerging totalitarian state?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    In the video clip it stated Illinois was one of a dozen states...anybody have any idea who the other 11 are?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links