University Cop fired for responding to Officer Down - Page 4

University Cop fired for responding to Officer Down

This is a discussion on University Cop fired for responding to Officer Down within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; when the fecal matter his the rotating bladed device you do what you gotta do.....and he did he was a sworn Texas Peace Officer.......IMO if ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: University Cop fired for responding to Officer Down

VIP Member
    when the fecal matter his the rotating bladed device you do what you gotta do.....and he did

he was a sworn Texas Peace Officer.......IMO if he sat there in the car with his thumb up somewhere while hearing not one, but 2 officers calling shots fired and they've been hit and he didn't respond, then he would have violated his oath of office, much more "dereliction of duty" (as referenced in news article quoting school admin) than him being two miles away from some point on the map, sure his primary responsibility is the campus, but as some have suggested if a fire or other incident happened on campus.....they call for help just like they would in other situations, and thats another point.....campus that size in that city and they only have 3 officers on duty...sounds like another thing admin/chief need to brought out on the carpet about

we deal with this same stuff here.... between us, 2 counties, 2 different college campuses, DPS, TABC, Fire Marshalls.....we help each other all the time
    we're not supposed to go outside the city to help unless asked by the agency, but we all done it a few times when we've heard on our radios (NOT SCANNERS like in news story, radio just has ability to hear other secondary channels) and head that way to help deputy, trooper, etc, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't start that way to help, maybe get taken off call at some point but at least I'd be heading that way

maybe a verbal talking to, maybe a private severe butt chewing (then public acknowledgment for good job he did, good PR for school), maybe even an official warning, write-up, something....but to fire a guy that assisted fellow SHOT officers, the guy you just sent through active shooter school to train/enhance the rest of your force, a guy with years of experience to help your campus, is just an asinine decision by a pencil pushing college administrator/chief with little to no LE experience, that doesn't know law enforcement from his/her main body orifice
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

The University of MN has fully sworn LEO's. And if you wanted to know, or not, the transit police in MN are also fully sworn LEO's and work hand in hand with the locals.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

It appears that the effort here is to show the injustice in firing an officer for responding to help other officers. I can readily see the injustice in that. However, I am not all that sure that was the reason for firing. It appears by the article that the real reason for firing was a his disregard for communicating his whereabouts to his dispatcher. That is a legitimate concern and may very well have been a serious breach of the University SOP, to the degree of firing him.

My main question would be: Who pays his check? If the city, then he follows city rules. If the University, then University rules prevail.

I am not sure, but the old "alligators up to your armpits" clause might be in play here.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

And if we just want to be cynical about it.......
    Part of his benefits package was free tuition for his kids.
    How many kids does he have? How old are they? How much is tuition per year?
    Looks like the university is on its way to balancing their budget.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    And if we just want to be cynical about it.......
    Part of his benefits package was free tuition for his kids.
    How many kids does he have? How old are they? How much is tuition per year?
    Looks like the university is on its way to balancing their budget.
    Conspiracy theory only valid if University did not hire a replacement. If they did, they gained little if anything.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Conspiracy theory invalid only if they hire replacement at same pay and replacement has same number or more kids. If they hire a single 22 year old right out of an academy they still save the difference between starting pay and what this veteran officer was making and the free tuition is put off indefinitely if not eliminated.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links