Calling all LEO's..... What led you to become a Cop?

This is a discussion on Calling all LEO's..... What led you to become a Cop? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, I have been thinking a lot lately about what some of the reasons are that people, men or women, become Cops. I know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Calling all LEO's..... What led you to become a Cop?

Hello all,
    I have been thinking a lot lately about what some of the reasons are that people, men or women, become Cops. I know that the term "Cop" is very generic but for this discussion what were some of the reasons that you or someone close to you became an LEO. I know some people will claim its just a calling and they could never put their finger on one reason.

regardless of the reason I do respect every decision you all have made to keep the towns we live in safer for everyone, thank you all for your service.

I wanted to help people. Then I found out that some people needed to be helped... right into Jail. Plus I got to drive fast and carry a gun....

Actually, I Spent time in the Military and it seemed like a natural transition at the time I made it. I have met and helped a lot of people and been part of some things that most people only read about. It an experience that I would not trade for anything.
    www.isrmatrix.org

Hick's Law + Murphy's Law = Streamlined Problem Solving

Senior Moderator
    It is a calling and its a ministry.

Plus, its better than laying on the couch watching TV.Sometimes its like watching a 3 ring circus and having front seat tickets.
    jwhite75 and bmcgilvray like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

To catch bad guys, thereby putting them out of business, at least temporarily, which was by extension also helping good people. That's what I told Art Linkletter when I was on his show at about age six, when I told him I was going to be a cop.
    Old School likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

sgb
    I was attracted to the freedom of it, patrolling my jurisdiction and being my own boss for most of the shift.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Cool

I knew a couple of guys who were a few years older than me and they were cops and the stories they told about what they saw and did got me to thinking this might be something I would like to do.
    Once on the job I saw things that these guys never told me about.
    I found out that I liked being in the middle of mass confusion and being able to bring some degree of order and stability to the situation.
    The profession served me well and even now being long in the tooth and very recently retired I am finding that I do miss it.

Gotta go now I have a 9:30 tee time.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

In Vietnam, while serving on my second tour, I got shot up a little bit and required several months of "light duty". They couldn't think of anything else to do with an airborne infantry sergeant, so they put me in charge of a military police detachment at a mid-sized fire support base. When I returned to the US it must have stuck because they assigned me as a military police patrol supervisor, then as a provost marshal's investigator. When I was about to leave the service, having two kids to support, I needed a job (preferably with some benefits) so I started applying for local and federal positions, took a bunch of tests and went to several interviews, and was offered several jobs. The local police department hired me, starting about 3 weeks after my discharge, so I didn't have to sell the house or move. That worked out pretty well, although I had to take about 20% cut in salary from my military pay. After federal taxes, state taxes, retirement fund, and health insurance premiums were taken out of my checks, my take-home pay was $192 every two weeks. My house payment was $181. The part-time side business was necessary in those days, making holsters for the guys I worked with. I think I was charging about $10 for an off-duty pancake-style holster, and about $15 for a duty holster back in those days. Of course, a brand new S&W Model 19 was about $120, a .38 Chief Special was about $80, and a new Colt Government Model was about $130, when ordered on a police department letterhead. Cigarettes were about $3.50 per carton. Gasoline was around $0.38 per gallon, but occasionally as low as $0.29. A pretty nice new car was around $3,000 to $4,000 but I didn't know many people that could afford one. About my second year on the job I bought a 2-year old Jeep CJ5 for $1300 and drove it for years. I usually kept about $20 per week for gas and lunch money, occasionally stopped off for a draft beer (about a quarter) on the way home. I used to dig lead at the police range to take home and cast bullets for reloading, and lots of guys brought their brass to me to load up .38 Specials for $3.00 per box (my profit was about $1.50 per box, so I sat at the reloading bench as long as it took). I spent quite a few of my days off working construction; I was a pretty good framing carpenter back in the day, and made as much as $30 per day framing houses!

One of these days a lot of young folks are going to remember these days as the "good old days", when gasoline was only $3.89 a gallon, new cars were only $30,000 or so, and you could get a beer for less than $3.00! Imagine that.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

I am a probation officer, so I am quasi LEO. I had ambitions of being a police officer, or federal agent at one point. I still have powers of arrest and carry a gun, but have much better hours and pay. I went to college for psychology intending to possibly go to law school. I interned at the local US Marshals Office, and I was hooked. I took a job right out of college as a parole officer and messed my knee up effecting an arrest and pretty much cant make even a simple run qual. I consider myself to be good at what I do and the hours are good so I dont mind really. I actually am the guy who puts people in jail after they think they are "free". So I make them mad and their families, etc. Every single person I deal with is a convicted criminal, many with long criminal histories. LEO deal with people mainly on the street and sometimes in their home. I am in their home on a regular basis and deal with them and their families. Our job is dangerous but isnt seen as so by a lot of people and most dont even carry firearms. I love working in this field and probably couldnt do much of anything else now anyways almost 15 years in...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I had to decide what side of the law I wanted to be on. After my active duty, I lead a pretty ruff life, got a wake up call one day, and decided to cast my lot in on the side of the law. Plus, I hate criminal predators, thugs, and bullys. It turned out to be the perfect choice for me:)
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Well I always liked playing cop's n robbers as a kid... So I figured... Why not do it with real guns?

ISR... got to drive fast and carry a gun, that part made me laugh. I appreciate the responses guys. I am at that point in my life, mid way through college, where I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, right now I am a communications major with a minor in business but have always had thoughts of being a cop. not sure where this came from, no one in my family has ever been a cop or in any for of law enforcement. I have also been tossing around the idea of calling up and seeing if I could schedule a ride along with an officer here in town to see a little more of what cop life is actually like.

On another note the only people that I personally know that have become cops were always the attention craving jerks that I knew. Please excuse the language but with the guys that I know there is no other way to describe them. Did you LEO's ever have people assume that you were this kind of person?
    Last edited by HotGuns; June 13th, 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: language workaround

Quote Originally Posted by tdavidson48 View Post
    ISR... got to drive fast and carry a gun, that part made me laugh. I appreciate the responses guys. I am at that point in my life, mid way through college, where I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, right now I am a communications major with a minor in business but have always had thoughts of being a cop. not sure where this came from, no one in my family has ever been a cop or in any for of law enforcement. I have also been tossing around the idea of calling up and seeing if I could schedule a ride along with an officer here in town to see a little more of what cop life is actually like.

On another note the only people that I personally know that have become cops were always the attention craving jerks that I knew. Please excuse the language but with the guys that I know there is no other way to describe them. Did you LEO's ever have people assume that you were this kind of person?
    All the time... But people have always been prejudiced in one form or another. Once they got to know me They found out that I wasnt an attention craving a-hole... They soon realized that I was just a regular a-hole.

I guess you can't take the uniform off.

I took my son to an open house at our local PD, and the Auxiliary was recruiting. Long story short, I signed up. Feels good to be doing something to serve the local community. We don't get paid, and have to supply our own sidearm, but I do get to carry a badge and drive the car with all the flashy lights.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    It fell into my lap shortly after I got out of the Army. Not one iota was about serving the world or giving back to society. Nope. It fell out of the sky and landed in my lap with a badge, a gun, and fender lizards to boot.

I like good folks, and I have heard alot of people say I am a people person. But there is a dog in me that comes out sometimes when dealing with the " real deal" criminals. The job is very difficult, because one moment you may hold back emotions and tears from seeing an innocent child hurt, and the next hour you may be trying to restrain yourself from putting your elbow upside some bangers head. If you can juggle this rollorcoaster, you can ride.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links