Crazy Scary Question for LEO's: IS THIS REAL?

Crazy Scary Question for LEO's: IS THIS REAL?

This is a discussion on Crazy Scary Question for LEO's: IS THIS REAL? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hole Under Door Lock A victim wrote:  Wednesday, I approached my truck from the passenger side to place my computer bag (aka my man ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Crazy Scary Question for LEO's: IS THIS REAL?

Exclamation Crazy Scary Question for LEO's: IS THIS REAL?

Hole Under Door Lock

A victim wrote:

Wednesday, I approached my truck from the passenger side to place my computer bag (aka my man purse) in the front passenger seat.

As I reached to open the door I noticed there was a hole right under my door handle.

My first thought was, "someone has shot my truck !"

I began to think about it and inspect it a little closer and the "light" slowly began to come on.

I phoned my friend who owns a body shop and asked if he had any vehicles with damage to the doors that looked like a bullet hole.

"Yes, I see it all the time. Thieves have a punch and place it right under the door handle, knock a hole through, reach in and unlock it, just as if they have a key. No alarms, broken glass, or anything.

I then placed a call to my insurance agent and explained it to him. I was puzzled that they left my GPS and all other belongings. Here is where it gets scary !

"Oh no, he said, they want the break-in to be so subtle that you don't even realize it. They look at your GPS to see where "home" is. Now, they know what you drive, go to your home, and if your vehicle isn't there they assume you aren't and break into your home."

He said they will even leave a purse or wallet and only take one or two credit cards. By the time you realize there has been a theft, they may have already had a couple of days or more to use them.

(I didn't realize my situation for two full days!)

They even give you the courtesy of re-locking your doors for you.

Periodically, walk around your car, especially after you park in a shopping center or other large parking area.

Report thefts immediately....your bank w/missing check numbers, your credit card agencies, police, and insurance companies, etc.

( Below is picture of what the hole looks like )
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

JD
    Administrator
    SNOPES is your friend.

Regardless of the veracity of the story, it's a good idea to NOT program your GPS with the actual address of your home. You do know how to get to your own home, right? Instead, use the address of a nearby shopping center or police station.
    enk5, limatunes, OD* and 3 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The old rule of not leaving anything valuable in your vehicles passenger compartment seems applicable here. That's why most cars have a trunk. Actually it would probably be easier for most thieves to slim jim the vehicle open. It's faster, easier and doesn't even leave the hole.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I had a rental van burgaled that way in southern Italy back in the mid '90s. The hole was not in a seam but was below the handle. I believe the door was some type of composite and it looked like they pushed a screwdriver through it.

They, however, were not suttle but instead stole everything they could get their hands on which included a US Passport.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Working in the detective div, we see alot of Dodge trucks that the bad guys are getting into, in a manor much like this. A few years ago we saw the same type rash of car breaks on the Ford F150, and F250 trucks. It is upsettting to have to work crimes when the victim has set themselves up, by leaving valuable items in plain view. A large number of car thefts, and car breaks are to unsecured vehiles. Put your items out of sight, and lock your vehicle.

I own a car van truck rental company and we have had several vehicles broken into the same way. Done correctly on a van it pops off the clip that holds the cyclinder to the metal. Lock hangs out and small twist the button pops open. Take what you want and relock door, pop lock back into hole. Everything looks normal.

My GPS has home set as a house near an intersection near the house. I actually live another intersection and 10 or so houses from there but the house I use always has parties and people park everywhere even in the intersection which makes it hard to get home some nights, hopefully that is enough to save me from this type of intrusion.

What difference does it make if your gps is programmed with your home address? Don't most people carry the registration to the vehicle and insurance cards in their vehicles? Unfortunately, my F150 does not have a locking glove box, and even if it did, if a crook could break into the truck, he could also break into the glove box. I'm more concerned about keeping my home secure than I am about someone breaking in to my truck to find out where I live! If a BG really wants to know where I live, they could just follow me home. To me, it's a non-issue.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Regardless of the veracity of the story, it's a good idea to NOT program your GPS with the actual address of your home. You do know how to get to your own home, right? Instead, use the address of a nearby shopping center or police station.
    +1 this is the best idea, you should never program in your exact address, use a nearby landmark as home
    as for keeping the car's paperwork in the car, as long as you are the only one using that car it is a bad idea, if the car is stolen it gives the
    bad a step up if he happens to get stopped by the cops as well as giving him too much info.
    I've even blocked the visibility of the vin on the dash because the BG's are getting your vin and having keys made for your car

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    What difference does it make if your gps is programmed with your home address? Don't most people carry the registration to the vehicle and insurance cards in their vehicles? Unfortunately, my F150 does not have a locking glove box, and even if it did, if a crook could break into the truck, he could also break into the glove box. I'm more concerned about keeping my home secure than I am about someone breaking in to my truck to find out where I live! If a BG really wants to know where I live, they could just follow me home. To me, it's a non-issue.
    This is what I was thinking plus most don't live alone so just because one rig isn't setting there doesn't mean that there isn't anyone in the house. Most days most houses in any given neighborhood are empty as everyone is at work.

As for the hole in the door, I have seen this. A buddy had a Dodge pickup broken into by the crook punching a hole in the plastic around the door handle and lifting the lock mechanism with a pair of needle nose, at least thats how we did it after the fact. This is now standard procedure if someone happens to lock there keys in the rig out in the woods, its a lot cheaper then a window or an unlock in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    SNOPES is your friend.
    Yes, indeed, Snopes is your friend, and assists everyone else that may be your friend before you publish phony rumors to the net and via email.

I have a after market security system. Once it's armed if you open the door even with the key it will activate.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Yes, indeed, Snopes is your friend, and assists everyone else that may be your friend before you publish phony rumors to the net and via email.
    Well that's why I ASKED a question here with folks I really trust because a lot of good answers came out of this thread including one who actually HAD seen this and made an interesting observation that if you had an issue in the woods this would be a less intrusive or expensive option than a wilderness service call or busting a window. I would add, especially in inclement weather.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Man I'm looking at the hole, and I'm trying to figure out how the Devil you can fit anything in there to do anything.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links