External vs Internal vest pros and cons

This is a discussion on External vs Internal vest pros and cons within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My company is trying to decide if for Class B uniforms we want to switch to an external vest as opposed to the internal vest ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: External vs Internal vest pros and cons

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

External vs Internal vest pros and cons

My company is trying to decide if for Class B uniforms we want to switch to an external vest as opposed to the internal vest that we wear now. I would like to get the feedback from LEO's and Security officers on our forum of which method of wearing armor is preferred amounst our members. Just looking for some input here. Main areas I want to focus on are appearance, officer comfort, flexibility, and access to duty belt.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

we had undershirt and switched to over shirt. While the over shirt fit better the under shirt was more comfortable for me. We were about 50/50 split. By the way we are back to unders since the overs price increased.

Cool

My agency gave us the option by getting both types of vest covers for each officer. The external cover was more comfortable in the warmer weather as it could be easily removed for cooldown after excersion. In cooler weather the vest worn under the uniform shirt was warmer. Vest companies usually give a reduced rate for the external cover when you purchase your vests from them.

P23110920.jpg extenal vest cover
    click to enlarge.....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    With an external vest, if one gets shot, it prevents buying a new vest and a new uniform shirt?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OldVet,

If you get shot you get a free vest and cover from the manufacturer. We had a clothing allowence so we get the shirt repaired. Thank God I never had to use any of that.

When are we going shooting ?

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

For me it's definately the under shirt, or under jacket vest. IMO Wearing your balistic resistant vest as outerwear gives anyone interested in doing you harm one up on you. IMO you might as well a sign saying "Shoot me in the head"

But thats just me... ya know?

Administrator
    The outer vest do have a limited useful role. Like old school pointed out, its nice to be able to take them off in the office and cool off a bit while doing paper work etc. or if your in a plain clothes role its easy to throw them on for something... but for regular uniform patrol, unless your into looking like a jackwagon, stick with the standard vest.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Officers in my company prefer over shirt. They say that it's more comfortable then under shirt vest.

Senior Moderator
    I've never had an option. I dont know of any agency within 100 miles that uses an overshirt vest. I'm sort of in the same camp as Secret Spuk. Wearing it where everyone can see it just tells them where not to shoot.

To me they look dorky.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I do not know what type of outer vest carriers you gentlemen are referring to that make you look dorky. What makes one look "dorky" is how one carries and presents ones self.

More and more major agencies are going over to the concept. The hotter climates are where these types of carriers come into their own as they allow air to circulate between the vest and the officers uniform shirt.

The exterior cover I am wearing in the photo is from JP Uniforms and models the look of the uniform shirt with false buttons and shirt style breast pockets.

I have enclosed a link to JG Uniforms out of Chicogo where you can see a variety of styles of the exterior vest covers from patrol to tactical.

It does not take a exterior vest carrier to tell the BG to shoot a cop in the head. You want to make sure someone is dead, head shoot them.

When given the option officers that are reluctant to wear vests at all choose the exterior carrier for comfort.

Wear what you like it's your donkey but whatever your choice always wear your vest on the job.

jguniforms.com

Administrator
    I agree that the outer vests are more comfy, especially in hot weather. I also agree that Old Schools link doesn't look that bad. But, I stand by my original post in the thread.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like Old School's rig becasue it is sleek and professional looking like a blended part of the uniform. Mine is external 98% of the time, because I am in a shirt and tie during regular working hours. After hours, i put it under a shirt. Mine isnt exactly conceable tough as I am 6'3" and 285. Just makes me look like even more of a barrel. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    Old Schools vest actually is about the best looing one that I have seen. It dont look too dorky..

Even so, with the blistering heat and humidity here in Arkansas, I dont know of any one that wears them.

They might be more comfortable, but I dont guess I'll ever find out.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    They don't have any in dark brown Old School. Thanks for the help anyway. This whole external vs internal vest argument has been going on for months now, and I appriciate the input from you guys. The bosses are neck and neck about this and I watched em scream at each other at the meeting on monday, nothing like arguing over vests. They about ripped my head off when I suggested how about we make it officers choice and have everyone vote.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Moderator
    There are two schools of thought on that...

One is that its the officer that has to wear the thing, so let them pick.

The other is that it is part of the uniform so everyone does the same thing, or it wouldnt be uniform.

I can see both sides of it. I wouldn't want to wear it if it looked less than proffesional, and some do that I've seen, and I can also see why everyone needs to either wear it or not wear it. I think how it looks is totally dependent on uniform style and body shape.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links