Do infantrymen carry a round in the chamber?

This is a discussion on Do infantrymen carry a round in the chamber? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This question popped into my head today. Not being in the military, but having some firearm training, I was wondering, when on patrol, do infantrymen ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Do infantrymen carry a round in the chamber?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Do infantrymen carry a round in the chamber?

This question popped into my head today.

Not being in the military, but having some firearm training, I was wondering, when on patrol, do infantrymen have a chambered round in their rifles? I can see an argument both ways, one for safety, one for being ready.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    My last deployment to Afghanistan I was with 1-508 infantry. Every weapon system was at condition 1 when we rolled out the gate.

JD
    Administrator
    Yeah, when not in garrison we had our weapons with round in chamber....then again when I was in Iraq we had no garrison.

Depends on the individual mission and the said rules of engagement with it. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I'm also not speaking outside of the US Army as I've no experience beyond that. I have been in both situations. I have NOT been deployed to any theater "hotter" than Bosnia and only had one patrol in Bosnia where we chambered (right after Milosovich was caught), the rest of the time was mag in, not chambered. Chances are those in the desert ARE chambered....but I cannot confirm nor deny, only speculate.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    the answer is: It depends. the variables are the perceived threat enviroment, the ROE (Rule of Engagement) and the resulting Risk Analysis. In smple terms--when you enter "indian country" (no ethnic slurs intended--historical context is important), you are ready to return fire.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Whenever we rolled out the gate in Iraq and Afghanistan, we had one in the chamber....I had one in the chamber while working with the Afghans....
    guardmt likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

That's a decision made by the commander based on the operation's rules of engagement (ROE), the mission and risk factors.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

It is all based on the ROE (rules of engagement) for the theater of operations. Usually decided by politicians in the CONUS and then disseminated down to the command staff in theater. 23 OCT 83 we lost 340 + Marines and Sailors in Beirut because the guards were not allowed to have magazines in weapons at the gates, let alone a round in the chamber.

I would hope we've learned a little since then. Judging by the responses, maybe we have.
    guardmt likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    On a related note, currently how do GI gate guards at military bases in the CONUS carry? Per some prior conversations with former military personnel who have had the duty, traditionally it has been some version of empty weapon with a partially loaded magazine locked up in the gate house.

Private security however is armed, although many years ago (pre 9/11) a coworker who formerly worked a contract job at Portsmouth Naval Hospital VA told me that he looked, and his revolver did not have a firing pin. Supposedly it was that company's policy (by contract?) to remove the firing pins on that military contract!

Right after 9/11 Portsmouth had sandbags and a machine gun nested inside the gate. Later it was a guy with a shotgun. Finally after a few months it was back to business as usual with occasional 100% ID Check days. My civilian transport ambulance got a few of those but they were a joke. My company at the time didn't issue IDs so we just showed our Driver's License. They never asked the attendant or patient for ID and never did even a cursory search of the ambulance. Same thing applied when we took someone to Bethesda, where all the VIPs go!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

RKM
    I don't understand why rules of engagement should matter. My opinion doesn't matter, but it is that a round should be in the chamber, except when cleaning, handling and other obvious situations.

Now, with some slightly hypocrisy, I don't keep my AR stored with a chambered round :) But my defensive pistols, most certainly.

It depends on the ROEs, the current situation, and the weapon system you are carrying.

But in country, on patrol, I was usually condition 1.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Like folks have said it depends on where you are.

In my two tours in Korea once you went through the MDL into the DMZ you were locked and loaded. But, not in the rest of the Country (and it isn't just the Infantry).
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    For Navy Security Forces guarding the gates on base as well as acting as topside rovers on ships, most do not carry a round in the chamber of their M-16/M-4 rifles (condition 3) as policy to prevent any accidental discharges in case the rifle is accidently dropped or banged against something. The same condition 3 policy applies to the Mossberg 500 shotguns. Only the Beretta M-9 pistol, we carry in condition 1 (round in chamber) since it has a firing pin block safety that prevents any ADs in case it is dropped.
    I know this from my experiences as Navy Security Police, armed watchstander, Ship's Reactionary Force Team Leader, and Ship's Force Protection Trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    It is all based on the ROE (rules of engagement) for the theater of operations. Usually decided by politicians in the CONUS and then disseminated down to the command staff in theater. 23 OCT 83 we lost 340 + Marines and Sailors in Beirut because the guards were not allowed to have magazines in weapons at the gates, let alone a round in the chamber.

I would hope we've learned a little since then. Judging by the responses, maybe we have.
    I was running a comm center after that Beirut tragedy when a Marine Corps Order (MCO) was issued (for the uninitiated, think of it as an Order from God).

IIRC (I remember the Order but it has been a while) The M-16 was to be carried with a magazine inserted, round chambered, on safe. The M-9 was the same. The 1911 and shotgun were to be carried loaded, no round in the chamber and off safe. I don't remember how the revolvers were supposed to be carried (I hope loaded); the only ones still carrying them were pilots, the Commandant's bodyguards, and some Marine Security Guard posts.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

The usmc policy is condition 3 in pogie land and one in the pipe when you cross the wire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links