Rules of Engagement

Rules of Engagement

This is a discussion on Rules of Engagement within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was a Navy Radioman in the fifties, so no combat experience. In recent years I rode with the Patriot Guard and Run for the ...

Thread: Rules of Engagement

Rules of Engagement

I was a Navy Radioman in the fifties, so no combat experience. In recent years I rode with the Patriot
    Guard and Run for the Wall; VN vets and current vets participated. I heard about some of the ROE's;
    can't respond to an AK-47 attack with a .50 cal, etc. I'd like to know how restrictive the current ROE's are. Thanks to all who have served, military and civilian!
    The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country.
    J. Robert Oppenheimer

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    As for our rules of engagement, we have about 7 circumstances for using deadly force although I don't want to elaborate. However, 3 things must be present to use deadly force: opportunity, capability, and intent.
    All of our armed armed watchstanders are now issued and trained in the use non-lethal weapons as an option to using deadly force (ASP straight expandable baton/flexcuffs/pepper spray/enhanced unarmed defensive tactics including the use of strikes and kicks).
    The Navy today is much more different now than the Navy years back that you and my father (1965-1989/a retired SK CPO) were in.

One can respond to an ak attack with a .50 cal. The laws of war cover proportionality as one of the main principles, but I would consider that completely proportional. If one person was using an ak in a building like that last scene in Full Metal Jacket, it might be a little excessive to bomb the whole block, but that's up to people above my pay grade to decide.

The force continuum still applies to military personnel, so there are procedures such as verbal commands and restraining that come before deadly force. Deadly force must be a last resort, come out of extreme necessity, and used when other means can no longer be employed.

Sponsored Links