Police Officers Find Tiny Pocket Cams Are 'Silent Partners'

This is a discussion on Police Officers Find Tiny Pocket Cams Are 'Silent Partners' within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yes, yes, yes - I've been advocating this for YEARS! Police Officers Find Tiny Pocket Cams Are 'Silent Partners' The cameras only cost $60 and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Police Officers Find Tiny Pocket Cams Are 'Silent Partners'

Yes, yes, yes - I've been advocating this for YEARS!

The cameras only cost $60 and are the size of a pack of gum!

This is good for citizens, and good for cops too. A true win-win!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    totally in favor am i

just that they are turned on at the start of shift and off at the end.
    in court an officers word is considered more truthful than a civilians.
    the camera will verify this. or not. but by its being there i am sure that many interactions
    between the police and those they serve will be at a higher standard. win/win but for a few
    bad apples that will have the errors of their ways shown in court the same as the errors of the citizens.

and just imagine how many cases will be taken care of before even going to court when the defense lawyer is shown his clients action live and in color.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

We use those at work, no one even knows what they are.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

I like it...

VIP Member
    Fine and all-- it should go both ways though.

Unfortunately some states prohibit filming the police at work (Maryland I think) and others have convoluted two party consent laws for the voice recording. Last week there was a dust up in NY when a woman filmed a stop in front of her home, and got herself arrested for her trouble; released by the DA no charges filed.

We need legislatures (and judges with some real world common sense) who are as concerned with protecting citizen rights as they are about protecting LEO prerogatives.
    ksholder likes this.

This is a good thing. Just as it has been said... This will prove the guilty LEO and civilians guilty and the innocent/responsible, responsible.

There was an article in a local newspaper about Public Intoxication arrests here in Austin. Its a weird law because it is subjective to the officers discretion. One girl claimed they pulled her from a car and broke her wrist for no reason. The officers said she was yelling and being confrontational and then resisting when they were trying to calm her down. It was unclear how it ended but these cameras would have solved this issue in about 2 seconds. Just watch the vid and bam. you'd know exactly what happened.

I'm in favor of whatever it takes to keep everything on the up and up and protects LEO from false accusations as well as the visa versa.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I'm in favor IF they record sound.
    I want the court to hear what was said by both parties.
    Too bad it's come to this........but times have changed.
    "If you haven't done anything wrong, you won't mind being recorded, right?"

I'm not sure how the video will look. A camera in a pocket will move a lot as the officer moves.
    Folks forget that the human eye smooths out fast motion. Cameras don't.
    Ever see those videos from a helmet cam? Jerky. Still, better than nothing.
    No audio/video, no conviction.

I wonder if some of those officers who walked up to my car cursing like a sailor
    would be doing that if they had to play it in court.
    And conversely, I'd like to absolve the officer if he is receiving verbal abuse too.
    Win-Win.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Does anyone have the make/brand of this camera? The older S & W's did have the quality of the one used in this report. As a CCW the thought is to have one in our pocket should we ever need to un-holster?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Know your State laws,Texas has a one party consent law so If you are in on the Conversation you can record without anybody else knowing it.There is also the law about presumption of Privacy,in a public place you can be recorded even tho you are not one of the parties
    I personally have never had a bad encounter with an LEO,the ones that stopped me were professional.I remember back in the day we were issued voice recorders that were turned on prior to contact with the public and left on until we cleared the call,They really cleaned up a lot of colorful language on the less than positive public encounters,but in some cases of high excitement some of the recordings coulda made a hooker blush
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Onacoma, the camera they have shown in the article is made by Veho. They have a few different models out now with some pretty sweet accessories. I am looking at picking up one of the HD models with the waterproof case to take scuba diving. There are some good video reviews on youtube of that show some pretty decent video and audio quality for such a small device. Here is the manufacturer link to get a look at their product lineup. Veho Website - Products
    Last edited by Waterborne; July 5th, 2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Technology is great and inexpensive, thanks.

were can i get one at. I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Yes, yes, yes - I've been advocating this for YEARS!

The cameras only cost $60 and are the size of a pack of gum!

This is good for citizens, and good for cops too. A true win-win!

-

Au contraire...beware of recording other people w/o their consent, especially the police, lest you find yourself in the gunsights of a wiretapping case.

Google "recording the police in public" to see the poop-storm that can ensue from your use of a silent partner...
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Au contraire...beware of recording other people w/o their consent, especially the police, lest you find yourself in the gunsights of a wiretapping case.

Google "recording the police in public" to see the poop-storm that can ensue from your use of a silent partner...

You mis-understand my initial post. When I said that the camera is "good for citizens", I meant that it is good for the citizens that cops are recording the event. I am not suggesting that all citizens run out and start recording everything, though it might be prudent in certain confrontational situations.

Peace

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links