People not trusting cops - Page 2

People not trusting cops

This is a discussion on People not trusting cops within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had two officers wait for hours for me to ride by in a park on a bicycle and when I rode by, doing about ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: People not trusting cops

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I had two officers wait for hours for me to ride by in a park on a bicycle and when I rode by, doing about 10mph, they pulled me over, frisked me and held my hands in a wristlock and demanded my name. My crime? Someone earlier in the week had reported a 'person' riding around corners too fast in the park. There is no speed limit in the park. How did they know it was me? (it wasn't). One officer standing in front of a sign with big letters that said 'bicycles yield to pedestrians and keep right', said 'I didn't know it was legal to ride a bicycle in the park.'

Imagine all the REAL crime they missed solving while waiting in the park for a guy on a bicycle.

A friend of mine is dealing with a DWI at the moment where a cop is outright lying about it. He was parked on the side of the road and about 4AM a cop noticed his left tire was slightly over the white line so he woke him up from a slumber, quizzed him, arrested him for DWI (even though he wasn't driving, the car was off and the key was in his pocket) and is now telling the court that he saw my friend drive off the freeway ramp and pull over. My friend had been in the car for several hours, the cop did not ever see him driving, and it is entirely possible my friend was dropped off at that spot by someone and chose to stay there and not drive in his condition. Another friend of mine did some work for a Buffalo cop (refinished a bathroom) and she never paid up, knowing he'd have a tough time going after her and the harassment would be unending if he did.
    Would I trust the police? NO. My own dealings with them they lied to me about taking a lie detector on an investigation they were conducting, telling me it would "close the book on their investigation" if I passed. At first I agreed after stupidly volunteering a statement about their investigation. Later I told them after doing a little research a firm NO, and I wasn't speaking with them ever again even if they arrested me on this baseless, fabricated lie with absolutely no evidence. This was before I saw YouTube - ‪Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1‬‏
    About the time I got my CCW (2002) I was adding another pistol to my permit and was going through security at the County building. I asked the cops on duty how to handle a situation where I had my carry piece on me, knowing I wouldn't want to leave it in my car. The both blew their lid and gave me a 10 minute lecture on how since 9/11 you can't carry pistols in the city anymore, yada yada B.S. I countered as politely as possible every fabrication they made up and eventually they admitted that I could "check it" in the lock box which is there for that purpose.

Yes I know there are decent, honest cops out there, I just haven't had any run in's with them (on duty).

JIm

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    One time, at band camp, the hall monitor yelled at me for talking during assembly, but I wasn't talking. It made me mad. I felt violated.
    Did he taze you bro?
    INccwchris likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I have personally never had a bad experience with any LEO in the course of performing his/her duty. I do however know a few cops personally, some of whom I grew up with or went to school with. Of these, some are great people and some are of questionable character. Much like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    About 18 years ago @ RFK Stadium in Washington DC at a concert. I tried to drive around a fender bender up on the curb/grass. Very lovely woman DC police officer put her hand on her weapon and told me "if you do not get back on the road, I will blow your f'ing head off!"

DC's finest and a creakhead mayor.

Forgot about the friend of my next door neighbor in York PA who pulled my credit and criminal reports (nothing exciting on either) for s and giggles. I raised hell with the chief and IA but nothing happened.

Have also had several positive experiences, mainly nice cops who let me off tickets because I was in a rush to get to the OR for a case.
    ROFL... That's par for the course in the District of Crime. I'd be more worried if she didn't say that!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I guess I have just been lucky because I have not had a negative experience with any LEO. Hope it stays that way.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Website for you to peruse: Cop Block | Reporting Police Abuse
    I've visited the site & watched a bunch of their videos. The over the top exaggerations & outright hostility towards ANY LEO is pretty off-putting, though.

I don't mistrust LEOs, but one has to remember that they are (almost) all human. I only have to remember the times I've been a jerk or made mistakes to remind me to trust, but verify...& cover my butt!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I don't exactly mistrust all LEO's, but I certainly don't trust them more than anybody else. I think depending on where you live and what your ethnic or cultural background is you're going to have a different opinion. I grew up in a large city down south, and my opinion of that particular sheriff's office is very low. The mostly white deputies routinely pulled over black and hispanic drivers for no real reason other than to harass and scare them into letting them search their car when there was no other reasonable suspicion to do so. There were also several scandals with deputies abusing drugs on the job, etc , and even one incident where a deputy was caught selling cocaine out of the back of a squad car. On one occasion, I was rear ended on the interstate by an uninsured motorist. This was before cell phones were ubiquitous as they are today, and therefor had to rely on passers by for help. There was a cruiser with an officer working a construction detail just about a block away. My passenger walked over and saw that deputy was sleeping, so he knocked on the window for help. Upset that my friend had woken him up, he cussed him out and refused to help us or even call it in. Luckily a trucker saw us and called it in and a state trooper (from about 20 miles away) came and helped us out. Do I think every one of that sheriff's office was untrustworthy? No, but enough evidence was there to mistrust anything any one of them said or did in the future. I could see how other folks who weren't privvy to these abuses would probably question my reaction though, just as the OP felt.

I've also had other less than professional interactions from various LEO's, but I've had all good experiences with my local PD, and my former local PD from another town I lived in NH. From all I've witnessed myself, they seem to be well run very professional groups. Overall though, my gut reaction is to weary of any LEO I'm interacting with, because so many of them treat "everybody" as a suspect, and try to figure out what you've done wrong, even when there is no reason to suspect anything. I'm not going to respect any individual LEO if they don't respect me, I guess is what it really comes down to.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Face it, People suck!!!!! No matter what occupation they are in.....
    JD, Inspector71, BubbaDX and 3 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I had jury duty recently and one of the questions that was asked of all of the potential jurors was if anyone had an issue trusting police offers to tell the truth. To my surprise there were 3 people who raised there hands and said they would not and could not believe anything ever said by any police officer and believed that all police were corrupt and self-serving.
    A friend of mine was rejected for jury duty for the same reason - he said he did not believe that police officers told the truth in court.

I support cops, I'm highly sympathetic to what they have to put up with and the mostly thankless tasks they perform. I think cops are generally underpaid for all that's demanded of them. But as other have pointed out, cops are people, too, and are subject to the same human frailties as the rest of us - although they have specialized training and civil powers. If I was confronted in court with the same question, I could not honestly reply that I believe all police officers tell the truth in court all the time.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I have a lot of friends that are police officers & I know a couple of major league jerks that are masquerading as police officers. I have had good experiences with most cops. The few jerks have ended up getting so much guff from my LEO friends that it works against them in the long run.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I had a cop smack the crap out of me when I was about 15 for getting a little too mouthy. That incident led to me steering back onto the correct path and doing pretty darn well in life.

VIP Member
    I had an incident one time at McDonald's with two Ohio State Troopers. I bought them each a sunday and they let my son wear one of their hats. It was really terrible and I was really really shaken up. I should have called a lawyer.
    INccwchris likes this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I had an incident one time at McDonald's with two Ohio State Troopers. I bought them each a sunday and they let my son wear one of their hats. It was really terrible and I was really really shaken up. I should have called a lawyer.
    I'd carry a pocket recorder from now on too. OSP is notorious for being all business and not to be messed with. These guys must have been rogue short circuits. I'd be in the post commanders office first thing in the morning and make sure they have a letter in their personnel jacket. And eating McDonalds while at work!? They are wasting tax dollars! They need to learn some respect, and not eat during their 12 hour shift. We the people pay them to patrol the highways, (but they better not write me a ticket, I pay their salaries!) not eat lunch.

And that hat they put on your kids head... I can't believe you allowed that... that hat implanted a chip in your kids brain. Your kid will now tell you to buckle up every time you get in the car, and his eyes will record everything you do and say, even inside your home!

They also accepted a bribe from you. I hope they go to prison. You should not be posting about this yet, and make an appointment to have brunch with Mike DeWine to discuss this issue. This is a serious violation of the 1,2,3,4,5,6,6.2 and 8th amendments of the constitution. Oh yeah, no knock warrants have to end too.
    INccwchris and Vaquero 45 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Once a pretty young woman waited in line for an ice cream cone at a popular store. The clerk was so impressed with her good looks he asked her out... she pleasently declined. So the clerk put an extra scoop of ice cream on her cone... Just because she was soooo sweet.

A person behind her on the line called her employer and complained that she got an extra scoop. And he didnt. She was promptly terminated for being corrupt. She was an on duty Police Officer.

Yes this really happened. The average citizen will respect the police pro-forma. But IMO there are those who have a chip on their shoulder and used every chance to villify the police, and cause all sorts of grief for Officers and Deputies just because they can.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links