People not trusting cops - Page 4

People not trusting cops

This is a discussion on People not trusting cops within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Oh yeah, no knock warrants have to end too. Even though you're being sarcastic, you've inadvertantly stumbled upon an idea that ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: People not trusting cops

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Oh yeah, no knock warrants have to end too.
    Even though you're being sarcastic, you've inadvertantly stumbled upon an idea that just might go a long way in restoring the public's trust in police.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    Even though you're being sarcastic, you've inadvertantly stumbled upon an idea that just might go a long way in restoring the public's trust in police.
    Or it could be an educational factor.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Do I trust cops, not particularly, but then I do not trust most individuals.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As bad as this seems and sounds it has been my experience. I don't trust white cops. I have never had a issue when pulled over or had any interaction with a black cop but 3 out of the 4 times I've been pulled over by a white cop I ended up cuffed and sitting in the back of a squad car. Bad luck? Maybe. But if I see flashing lights in in my rear view mirror I pray it's a black cop.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Sadly even as a kid who's dad was a deputy most of his life I have a distrust of certain departments.
    Oddly its partly because my dad did clue me in that cops are human too, and some insider knowledge.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    As bad as this seems and sounds it has been my experience. I don't trust white cops. I have never had a issue when pulled over or had any interaction with a black cop but 3 out of the 4 times I've been pulled over by a white cop I ended up cuffed and sitting in the back of a squad car. Bad luck? Maybe. But if I see flashing lights in in my rear view mirror I pray it's a black cop.
    And that my friend is just said. The is no reason for this kind of BS....

I figured this thread would be locked by now. Im glad to see its still running. Some things need to be said..

In god I trust, all others fall short.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Moderator
    Ya, know this whole thread is sort of ironic.

You have people that say they dont trust cops, because they had a few bad experiences with one at some point in their life.

You have other people saying that they arent so bad and that they havent had much in the way of bad enounters.

Which brings me to an example.
    I got called to and went to a pretty wild part that in involved lots of noise, alcohol and underaged college kids celebrating Halloween, in fact it was a costume party. Naturally, I started I.D ing people and more than half of them were underaged. The other half were throwing a fit about the cops busting their party and when it was all said and done we made them pour all of their stuff on the ground but first we gave them an option.

The owners of the house could be ticketed for contributing to the delinquency of a minor by supplying alchohol,or they could end the party and pour the stuff on the ground. Any kids that had been drinking were to spend the night there and stay off of the road.

Naturally they agreed as the plan was to let anybody that needed to stay, stay anyway, so in their eyes they got off pretty lightly.

Before it was over,there were 3 county officers and 1 city officer. The party was disbanded, the alcohol poured out on the ground and that was the end of that.

The next day ALL of us had to report to the Sheriff. Out of that party, several complaints were lodged about us pouring out the beer, yet we also got several compliments on how it was handled. There was a couple of accusations about us stealing the alchohol to take home and drink, yet NONE of us even drink. Apparently the complainers missed the small lake that was created from several kegs of beer being poured out. Some were accused of harrassment, and yet others complimented us on the way it was handled. As it were, after about a 15 minute question and answering session, they let us go back to work after realizing that nothing was amiss.

Its all about perspective.

I dont go around saying that I hate carpenters because I had a couple of bad experiences with one many moons ago.

I dont go around slandering bankers because one closed the bank early one day and I didnt get the money I needed.

I dont go around bad mouthing preachers because a rotten one got caught in the sack with his secretary.

So for me to say or insinuate I dont trust cops, because one wrote me a ticket for going over the speed limit or one didnt treat me like I pay his wages or in the 43 times I've been stopped by the cops for something and I didnt like the tone of voice that they used on me... just aint gonna happen.

My advice to people that "hate" the cops because they can, is to get over it, man up, and get on with life. Life is too short to hate. If you are one of the people that have run ins with the police all the time, take a look in the mirror and ask yourself why and dont forget that when you are pointing that finger at some mean ole cop that wants to ruin your life...there are three more pointing back at you.
    limatunes, Hopyard, SIXTO and 6 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Ding ding ding!!!! Chicken dinner winner!!!! Very well said HotGuns.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

VIP Member
    HG, very well said great post. One of your best ever!!!!!
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Ya, know this whole thread is sort of ironic.

You have people that say they dont trust cops, because they had a few bad experiences with one at some point in their life.

You have other people saying that they arent so bad and that they havent had much in the way of bad enounters.

Which brings me to an example.
    I got called to and went to a pretty wild part that in involved lots of noise, alcohol and underaged college kids celebrating Halloween, in fact it was a costume party. Naturally, I started I.D ing people and more than half of them were underaged. The other half were throwing a fit about the cops busting their party and when it was all said and done we made them pour all of their stuff on the ground but first we gave them an option.

The owners of the house could be ticketed for contributing to the delinquency of a minor by supplying alchohol,or they could end the party and pour the stuff on the ground. Any kids that had been drinking were to spend the night there and stay off of the road.

Naturally they agreed as the plan was to let anybody that needed to stay, stay anyway, so in their eyes they got off pretty lightly.

Before it was over,there were 3 county officers and 1 city officer. The party was disbanded, the alcohol poured out on the groud and that was the end of that.

The next day ALL of us had to report to the Sheriff. Out of that party, several complaints were lodged about us pouring out the beer, yet we also got several compliments on how it was handled. There was a couple of accusations about us stealing the alchohol to take home and drink, yet NONE of us even drink. Apparently the complainers missed the small lake that was created from several kegs of beer being poured out. Some were accused of harrassment, and yet others complimented us on the way it was handled. As it were, after about a 15 minute question and answering session, they let us go back to work after realizing that nothing was amiss.

Its all about perspective.

I dont go around saying that I hate carpenters because I had a couple of bad experiences with one many moons ago.

I dont go around slandering bankers because one closed the bank early one day and I didnt get the money I needed.

I dont go around bad mouthing preachers because a rotten one got caught in the sack with his secretary.

So for me to say or insinuate I dont trust cops, because one wrote me a ticket for going over the speed limit or one didnt treat me like I pay his wages or in the 43 times I've been stopped by the cops for something and I didnt like the tone of voice that they used on me... just aint gonna happen.

My advice to people that "hate" the cops because they can, is to get over it, man up, and get on with life. Life is too short to hate. If you are one of the people that have run ins with the police all the time, take a look in the mirror and ask yourself why and dont forget that when you are pointing that finger at some mean ole cop that wants to ruin your life...there are three more pointing back at you.
    I got nothing to add or dispute. I just thought it was worth repeating.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Well said HG.

One thing I'd like to add, and this has been a belief of mine for quite some time is that LEO's should be required IMO to have at least an associates degree in addition to the academy. As a healthcare worker myself I think the two year training that firefighters, paramedics, nurses and other "first responders" get is absolutely fantastic, yet the guys who carry guns only get a 6 month course (usually)...

While in general I think cops are good people and do a great job, you always get that occasional guy who only wanted to be a cop so because he could get the gun and the power over others, and I think a little schooling is not only beneficial in a logical sense, but would also weed out a few of those who are doing it for the wrong reasons.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    I think Hotguns is lying. You cops never tell the truth.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Moderator
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think you "assume" too much. I'll leave it at that, I don't think it's just people how have had a bad experience with 1 or 2 all of the time.

IF I had a bad carpenter, I sure wouldn't hire him a 2nd time either ... and I sure would check the next one out even more carefully.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    I think a lot has to do with ones location too. For example, where I work, you will get sent out the door real quick with no education like "I'm lost" suggested. Yes, a police academy is only 6 months long in a lot of places, but thats typically the last step in a cops education, or at least one small piece of it. Flip side, there are a lot of bumpkin places that require nothing extra, and their pay and professionalism reflects that. I've been to and hosted a lot of nationwide trainings, and have noticed distinct trends in LEO's from geographical locations. I'll just say that some areas have a lot better stock than others. I've also noticed that it typically has a direct reflection on pay rates. The areas that are willing to pay for a professional get them. Those who don't get what they get.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links