Happy 216th birthday coasties. You don't look a day over 91.

This is a discussion on Happy 216th birthday coasties. You don't look a day over 91. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This week we celebrate the birthday of The United States Coast Guard! August 4 is celebrated as Coast Guard Day to honor the establishment on ...

Thread: Happy 216th birthday coasties. You don't look a day over 91.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar

This week we celebrate the birthday of The United States Coast Guard! August 4 is celebrated as Coast Guard Day to honor the establishment on that day in 1790 of the Revenue Cutter Service, forbearer of today's Coast Guard.

From the Coast Guard Website:

The United States Coast Guard, one of the country's five armed services, is also one of the most unique agencies of the federal government. We trace our history back to 4 August 1790, when the first Congress authorized the construction of ten vessels to enforce tariff and trade laws, prevent smuggling, and protect the collection of the federal revenue. Known variously as the Revenue Marine and the Revenue Cutter Service, we expanded in size and responsibilities as the nation grew.

These added responsibilities included humanitarian duties such as aiding mariners in distress. Our law enforcement functions also continued to expand. Congress tasked us with enforcing laws against slavery, piracy, and enlarged our responsibilities to prevent smuggling. We were also given the responsibility to protect the marine environment, explore and police Alaska, and chart the growing nation's coastlines, all well before the turn of the twentieth century.

The service received its present name in 1915 under an act of Congress when the Revenue Cutter Service merged with the Life-Saving Service. The nation now had a single maritime service dedicated to saving life at sea and enforcing the nation's maritime laws. We began to maintain the country's aids to maritime navigation, including operating the nation's lighthouses, when the Lighthouse Service was transferred to the Coast Guard in 1939. Later, in 1946, Congress permanently transferred the Bureau of Marine Inspection and Navigation to the Coast Guard, thereby placing merchant marine licensing and merchant vessel safety under our purview.

The Coast Guard is one of the oldest organizations of the federal government and, until the Navy Department was established in 1798, we served as the nation's only armed force afloat. We have continued to protect the nation throughout our long history and have served proudly in every one of the nation's conflicts. Our national defense responsibilities remain one of our most important functions even today.

In times of peace we operate as part of the Department of Homeland Security, serving as the nation's front-line agency for enforcing our laws at sea, protecting our coastline and ports, and saving life. In times of war, or on direction of the President, we serve under the Navy Department.
    Thanks to all of you puddle pirates out there. We really do appreciate what you do.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Assistant Administrator
    ''Puddle Pirates'' - great

I salute them also - and reckon they are often a forgotten force.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    When I was in the Navy I had a good friend that was a coastie in San Diego. We used to harrass each other all the time.

I went out on his speedboat with him a couple of times when he was patrolling the harbor. Lots of eye candy there was, it seemed like a great job to have.

One day we were patroling and paying particular attention to the many scantily clad women that were everywhere. I told him that I couldnt beleive he was actually getting paid to do that.He asked me if I knew why the Coast Guard stayed so close to shore. Naturally, I said I had no idea. He smiled and said " so that the boys in the Navy wont have ugly babies".

I never forgot that.

Hats OFF to the USCG !
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting this, p8riot My brother is a Coastie.

I was talking with an ex-navy co-worker several years ago and mentioned that my brother was in the Coast Guard. He said "Oh, is he over 6 feet tall?"
    I said "No...why?"
    He said "I thought it was a requirement in case their boat sinks...so they can walk to shore."
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    Thanks for posting this, p8riot My brother is a Coastie.

I was talking with an ex-navy co-worker several years ago and mentioned that my brother was in the Coast Guard. He said "Oh, is he over 6 feet tall?"
    I said "No...why?"
    He said "I thought it was a requirement in case their boat sinks...so they can walk to shore."
    You're most welcome. One of my co-workers is a CWO-4 in the Coast Guard Reserve and just returned from a year of providing port security at Gitmo.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Lead Moderator
    Some interesting history in that post! Thanks.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

a birthday bump for you Puddle Pirates.

Sponsored Links