Kudos to Memphis Police: not so much for Delta Airlines

This is a discussion on Kudos to Memphis Police: not so much for Delta Airlines within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My family (10 of us, aged 9 to 66) was on our way home from a vacaton in Phoenix Friday. We had a layover in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Kudos to Memphis Police: not so much for Delta Airlines

Distinguished Member

Kudos to Memphis Police: not so much for Delta Airlines

My family (10 of us, aged 9 to 66) was on our way home from a vacaton in Phoenix Friday. We had a layover in Memphis. While waiting, Delta informs us that our next flight was cancled "because the crew did not show up." So , my Dad and I are waiting in line to see what our options and talking. My Dad says to me (not the ticket agent), " The flight was canceled because it wasn't full." The ticket agent went nuts and accused us of calling him a liar. He said he would not wait on us and we had to leave his counter. My dad asked for manager, and the ticket agent said no, but I will call the cops. My dad said, "call the cops, but I also want to see a manager." We moved away from the counter and waited. My dad took a seat beacuse he is waiting on a hip replacement. 4 of Mephis' finest show up. They immediately knew we were no threat and even helped us find a manger because the ticket agent refused. The first police officer ob the scene even called US Air to see if we could get on one of their flights. I was really nervous when the ticket agent called the cops. I had read so many horror stories of people getting arrested in similar situations. I am so glad that the police officers who responded used their common sense and did not just accept the ticket agents word. I wish we had gotten their names so that we could thank them or the supervisors. Afterwards, other passengers gave us their contact info in case we needed witnesses, thank good ness we dont!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Kinda like boot camp when ya weren't allow to talk in chow line or risk being sent back to the pull up bars.

MEMPHIS,the arm-pit of America!

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Cool! (for the experience with the LEO's, not the Delta experience)

It's too bad, but we may end up using cell phone video to back-up all of our interactions in the near future. I doubt that the Delta employee learned that attitude in his orientation. You should ask the witnesses to share their stories with Delta Airlines.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Good for MPD. Bad for Delta. They seem to have developed a few employees that really have their head in the wrong place. Absolutely write Delta HQ. Bad behavior of a few gives the good ones an undeserved black eye.

I fly Delta almost every week, and your story is unique in my experience. I have seen rude gate agents and flight attendants, mostly in Atlanta, so I think you should report your incident to Delta.
    "The crew didn't show up." can mean a whole bunch of things. The crew flight might be late, crew rest is often a problem (they can only fly so many hours in a day), but unless weather is the issue, Delta is responsible to get you home or give you a room and meal vouchers.
    Delta acquired Memphis in the Northwest merger, and I thought it would be a nice choice over dreaded ATL. However, Delta has closed the maintenance facility in Memphis, so a mechanical problem can lead to a cancellation. Then you are doomed, because all flights are full.
    Any more flying is torture. Be glad you don't have to get on that plane.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Funny, I was thinking of another area on the body. To the may dirtbags of Memphis...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    some Uniter breaks guitars, careful delta don't do hips.

i wonder when 'they' will break the last of America's average man.
    feels soon
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I wish we had gotten their names so that we could thank them or the supervisors.
    Call up MPD's non emergency and as to talk to the Sargent or Shift commander responsible for the airport area, give him the date and time and I'd bet he'll be able to look up the call and make sure note is taken on the positive action of the officers. If nothing else the guys that always show up to the situations where people's lives are in a rough spot, will get some positive attention.
    Hopyard and ccman like this.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Funny, I was thinking of another area on the body. To the may dirtbags of Memphis...
    HEY HEY HEY!!!! Let's take it easy there fellas! Some of us love Memphis. Me for one. It is home and a place I dearly want to move back to. Just because one moron ticket agent acted like a twit, does not make the entire city bad. Memphis has it's problems but I assure you, so does everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Call up MPD's non emergency and as to talk to the Sargent or Shift commander responsible for the airport area, give him the date and time and I'd bet he'll be able to look up the call and make sure note is taken on the positive action of the officers. If nothing else the guys that always show up to the situations where people's lives are in a rough spot, will get some positive attention.
    To the OP, you may have been dealing with the Memphis Airport Police. In fact, I suspect you were. They are actually a better police organization than the regular MPD. But I am glad they treated you so well. Memphis is a great place. I love it, and I will go back.
    orangevol likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    HEY HEY HEY!!!! Let's take it easy there fellas! Some of us love Memphis. Me for one. It is home and a place I dearly want to move back to. Just because one moron ticket agent acted like a twit, does not make the entire city bad. Memphis has it's problems but I assure you, so does everywhere else.

To the OP, you may have been dealing with the Memphis Airport Police. In fact, I suspect you were. They are actually a better police organization than the regular MPD. But I am glad they treated you so well. Memphis is a great place. I love it, and I will go back.
    What TN Mike said...I'm a life-long Memphian and currently live in a decent suburb of Memphis. Yeah Memphis has it problems just like any major city in America. In my job I travel coast to coast, believe me, I can pick far worse places than Memphis!

I fly out of the Mem airport almost every other week with very few problems, sorry you experienced otherwise.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Memphis is my home too.

I also used to work in airport security there before I went to work for Republic, then NW Airlines. It was my experience that Delta employees were all a bunch of "pr!!ks and DBs then and probably still are today.
    TN_Mike likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Delta has never ranked high in my experience. Bring back Eastern!

You should send a letter of appreciation to the chief of MPD, giving the date/time and other pertinent facts. The chief will know which officers were involved.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    What TN Mike said...I'm a life-long Memphian and currently live in a decent suburb of Memphis. Yeah Memphis has it problems just like any major city in America. In my job I travel coast to coast, believe me, I can pick far worse places than Memphis!

I fly out of the Mem airport almost every other week with very few problems, sorry you experienced otherwise.
    Memphians unite! I grew up in the burbs of Memphis, which were great. If you get too far into downtown though, you'd better be home before the street lights come on. Like with any city, you have to know the places to avoid. As for the airport, I've seen a few instances of power trips and laziness from airport staff, but for the most part things have gone smoothly for me.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    No, not really. It may be the armpit of Tennessee, but not of the States. I can think of many worse places to be.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links