D.C. Firefighters to patrol high crime areas....

D.C. Firefighters to patrol high crime areas....

This is a discussion on D.C. Firefighters to patrol high crime areas.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This has got to be one of the most rediculous decisions I have ever heard. Firefighters have an extremely dangerous job being firefighters. I hope ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: D.C. Firefighters to patrol high crime areas....

Thumbs down D.C. Firefighters to patrol high crime areas....

This has got to be one of the most rediculous decisions I have ever heard.

Firefighters have an extremely dangerous job being firefighters.

I hope the firefighters union is strong enough to fight this.

Huge liability issues here.

DC firefighters to patrol high-crime areas
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

WASHINGTON — D.C. firefighters are being dispatched on late-night patrols to high-crime areas as deterrents and during the day to provide payday protection for residents enrolled in the city's youth-jobs program, raising safety concerns for the "unarmed" firefighters.

The order was issued by the office of Mayor Vincent C. Gray to prevent problems like those last summer when participants in the Summer Youth Employment Program were targeted for muggings and to cut back on summer crime.
    What a novel idea, having the fire dep't. running interference for the DC police. This is the most idiotic decision i've ever heard of.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Administrator
    And people wonder why public employee's need a union.

I personally know some DC police officers, and they will not shy away from telling you that they won't even go to certain areas of the city unless its absolutely necessary, and when they do, its full gear and plenty of man power. Its that dangerous.

I'm thinking it might be a ploy from the city to get rid of some of the bad employee's and force the city to buy some new trucks and equipment. Those guys are going to get killed and their trucks will be stolen/stripped.
    "Just blame Sixto"

How many members of Mayor Gray's staff are participating in these activities? I am sure the police dept can get them some of those "POLICE" jackets so they will be immune to retaliation.

I can't believe the utter stupidity of this directive.

As they say; "Surely you jest!"
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Lead Moderator
    HEY!!!! The DC government contains some of the best elected officials money can buy!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    This sounds like a good idea... Volunteer only. And they're allowed to be armed. A lot; sidearms, shotguns, assault rifles, full riot gear..... etc.etc.

And, then, when it doesn't work, the person who thought of it, should be fired. And forced to do what he/they asked the others to do.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

So whats so wrong with this? Yes I know that fireman are not cops and they should not be acting like cops but what is wrong with having them cruise the streets in there rigs making there presence known. Just having witnesses around deters crime and having witnesses around with radio's going directly to dispatch is going to help a little. Seams like a lot better option then them setting in the fire house doing busy work or nothing at all. Hell they go into these areas if they get a call and most there calls probably come from these places so they are just that much closer anyway.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Is the Mayor a crackhead too??. Seems they like that kind up there. Stupid idea!!. You need troops to control that `hood.

Administrator
    Muddy, as the article reads, they are not "cruising around" but are in stationary positions.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with Sixto, some parts of D.C. are really really bad, this is a stupid idea. When I lived there someone got robbed at gunpoint for their basketball!

firefighters are not expected to serve as policemen, "but sometimes a uniform presence can be a deterrent."
    In that case, why not get some off-duty TSA agents to "patrol"? Better yet, give the DC Mayor and Council uniforms and let them "patrol" the high-crime areas. Save the firefighters for doing the stuff they're trained to do.

Seriously, this is one of the stupidest public-policy moves ever. Face the problem, hire more cops, enforce the laws like you mean it, and you'll save money in the long run.
    RevolvingMag and SIGguy229 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

This has GOT to be one of the most bone head ideas I have ever heard. Seriously?.. The police cant control the crime... so send in firemen? Seriously?... Evidently this current mayor is too smoking crack. Seriously?.. like what are they gonna do? I thought we were beyond turning the water hoses on civilians we percieve to be breaking a law.

This is only my opinion.... I had the pleasure to serve with a large metropolitan police dept, and with a smaller metropolitan Police department. In a city with some very high crime area's. IMO D/C's crime problem can be put in check. There are techniques, methods, and tools available to any police department that truely wants to control crime.

A city government must want to control crime, and protect it's citizens. A police adminstration must have a mission statement, and support that mission. A department must support, and promote those within who work towards that mission. Some of my posts have me seeming hard on some police. Well I have absoloutly zero tolerance for corruption, and incompetence. As far as I'm concerned the city of Washington D/C is run by those incompetent and/or corrupt. Anyone who see's putting firefighters in harms way of criminals is an incompetent. Any police department who agree to such nonsense is corrupt and incompetent. The city government and P/D of washington D/C should get the "RAY NAGIN" award for competent government.

Sorry for the rant...

Spuk!

How could crime be so bad in one of the most gun restrictive places on earth?
    The Firemens Union will stomp this quickly, I hope. Bad, bad idea.

Of course, that water cannon ain't no joke.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    In addition to what others here have suggested, I think that Mayor Gray & the deputy mayor for public safety, Paul Quander, should also sacrifice their families by putting them in security guard uniforms on the most dangerous street corners. The additional presence could help, right?

If that sounds stupid to them, they oughta hear the garbage that they're spewing.

"Paul Quander, deputy mayor for public safety, said all D.C. government employees have a responsibility to look out for residents." - If the residents are unable to look out for their fellow residents, how can unarmed, untrained personnel be expected to effect a change when the police don't even want to go into these parts of the city without full support? I guess the actual firefighting can wait...

"We wanted to use our resources wisely and strategically," [Quander] said of the deployment, which started three weeks ago. "We are not putting [firefighters] at any additional risk. I think it enhances their ability to connect with the community." - No additional risk??? Is dying with them the same as connecting?

The seat of our nation.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

The thugs will just go around or even rob the firemen.

Lets see water hose against 9mm yep that will work.

The fireman's radio will be a real prise for the thugs in the hood because not they have all the codes to the city.

This is about as stupider idea as the TSA pat downs at airports.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links