Need advice from the LEO's here

This is a discussion on Need advice from the LEO's here within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; About a year ago, I let a friend convince me that I could get a great deal on a quadplex (4 apt building) as an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need advice from the LEO's here

VIP Member

Need advice from the LEO's here

About a year ago, I let a friend convince me that I could get a great deal on a quadplex (4 apt building) as an investment deal. It had been repo'd by the bank and was on the market for 60K less than an identical unit next door. My plan was to just flip it (I'm trying to get out of the landlord business).

What I didn't take into consideration was that the friend was getting a commission on the deal and that likely skewed his judgement. Like an idiot, I didn't do my due diligence and didn't realize that "the hood" had crept into that area of town.

About a week after I closed, all of the central air units were stolen. Every few months, a door get's kicked in and when I drive over to repair it, there are usually thugs hanging out on the steps drinking beer. Thus far, I've been able to shoo them away without incident while I did repairs, but I feel like I'm playing russian roulette with the odds of putting myself in a real defensive shooting scenario whenever I'm out there. The thugs clearly feel that this is their property.

Yesterday, I sent a friend over to fix a door that had been kicked in and he came back with the news that there were people moving around in both upstairs units. He promptly beat feet outta there without further investigation. I have too much going on today to deal with it, but figured on Monday I'll give the police a call and ask them to clear the units for me, and then we'll repair all the doors again. Normally my SOP for dirtbags that cops catch stealing from or vandalizing properties that I manage is that I always prosecute to the fullest extent.

For the first time, I'm wondering if I should not prosecute whomever they catch in there because it might just make me the target of some gang activity. Nobody hates a gang-banger more than I do, but I also have a family to protect. So my question is this; Go to war and start prosecuting these little thugs, or turn a blind eye and allow their style of intimidation to continue? Are there other options that I'm missing?

2. Remove Ads

I am not law enforcement, but I would prosecute personally. Also, instead of repeatedly fixing busted-in doors, have you thought of reinforcing them? I know there was a post on another thread here recently about a full length metal panel for the doorjamb that significantly increases the required force to break the door in. Or security cameras?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I am not law enforcement, but I would prosecute personally. Also, instead of repeatedly fixing busted-in doors, have you thought of reinforcing them? I know there was a post on another thread here recently about a full length metal panel for the doorjamb that significantly increases the required force to break the door in. Or security cameras?
    Good thoughts. These doors were reinforced. But even a steel door will fold in two if rammed hard enough, and these did. Security cameras would be just one more thing they would vandalize.

For now I'm planing on getting advice from the officers on scene with me, and I likely will prosecute. I live nowhere near the place, so they would have to do some homework in order to track me down. However going back out there to repair whatever they do next, I will surely be targeted. Thanks for the input.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    deleted cause im not a LEO
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    i feel you 'friend shod share in their ~ monterey adjustment as some of what he did don't sound proper. perhaps you wish to check his actions with the authotities of real estate guide lines and express yourself to him b4 actually doing something.
    the govt buys up distress properties. perhapas another avenus you & he can explore...

good luck
    Thanks Claude. He's no longer a friend, he billed me for a bunch of fake charges on another property and dissappeared.

man, if they're busting down steel doors they must really want in there. Too bad booby traps are illegal.... You have a point about the cameras, I know how easily those can be vandalized. Honestly your best bet is to start prosecuting I think. Just be careful once you do. Watch your back when you go there and never go straight home after leaving. Outside of that your only real choice is to fix the place up and put tenants in fast. Preferably ones who will shoot BGs on sight. Or fix it up and sell the place, but I can see how difficult both would be.

Maybe hide a cheap game camera and hand photos to the police?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Who owns the quad next door to your and do they have the same problems ?

There are property owners who do quite well in depressed areas.

They know the lay of the land and have connections with the "community".

You got in cheap so maybe you have some wiggle room to get out.

Find a broker in the area and get some ideas.

You are never going to be happy with that property .

You can put up signs for "No Trespassing" and have LEO's begin the Trespass Warning Process.

Prosecuting will be another pain in the butt for you I'm afraid.

It seems you are just throwing good money after bad with this property.

Good Luck.

OS
    jwhite75 and 640girl like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Who owns the quad next door to your and do they have the same problems ?

'Dunno who owns it, but it's occupied by section 8 tenants, several of whom are the thugs vandalizing mine.

There are property owners who do quite well in depressed areas.

Section 8 tennants aren't a bad deal for landlords. It ensures you get the rent every month. I just hate being a landlord and had no intention of occupying this unit, just flipping it.

They know the lay of the land and have connections with the "community".

That's what worries me.

You got in cheap so maybe you have some wiggle room to get out.

The bottom of the market continued to drop. I payed 100k and have lowered my asking price to that amount about 6 months ago.

Find a broker in the area and get some ideas.

I have it listed with a respected agent that specializes in this property. Unfortunately, I think the bank made a good deal on me.

You are never going to be happy with that property.

Concur.

You can put up signs for "No Trespassing" and have LEO's begin the Trespass Warning Process.

Prosecuting will be another pain in the butt for you I'm afraid.

It seems you are just throwing good money after bad with this property.

Yes, yes I am. It has been a money pit.

Good Luck.

OS
    'Appreciate you weighing in, Old School. My comments are above. Real estate is no different than the stock market. Sometimes you buy high and sell low.

I would hire security guards and find some cheap outfits. Presence could be a deterrant.

This is an easy one.... Rent the units to section 8 tennants. The rent is always on time and at fair market rates. The tennants will as likely bass a44 themselves and will deal with the other mutts. Replace the A/C units and tell your tennants a months rent rebate for anyone who makes the A.C thieves go away.

Move along now... Nothing to see here...

Spuk!

Go with the Section 8 checks from the state are always good or find the property manager next door and ask them to take over your property provided they do not have the same problems. Empty apartemtns will draw a bad crowd by a full unit will keep rift raft out.

Administrator
    Why in the world would you wait until Monday?
    "Just blame Sixto"

As a former property manager, that lasted all of 2 months it was such a hades hole (oh do I have stories, but that's for another time) that I decided to leave before being required to move in, you can build a rapore with the local PD, odds are they've been coming regularly on other calls (if I went three days without finding them there to settle a tenant v tenant dispute or vandalism it was rare); you can request extra patrol from the PD, hey I've filed x burglary reports in the past week, can you check the area once in a while when it's not busy; many times it's prevention from them having to get called there anyways, if it's a suburban type area I've found the PD very willing to pop in once or twice in the evening and midnight shifts, tell them you have a lot of if not all vacants, be willing to go after the trespassers.

Light the place up at night, it may or may not be extra cost to have darkness or timed flood lights high up on the building out of easy vandal's reach, and turn on the porch light of every vacant unit 24/7, just put a CFL bulb in to keep the costs down (and may keep it good enough long enough that you can sell the place). When people can see and ID the car that rams into the building, it makes life really easy for the PD, and when people want to trespass and sleep off their buzz in their car and see the empty space in the lot, that flood light keeps them from getting comfortable, it also makes it hard for the local drug dealers to be inconspicuous.

Not an LEO, but I've been there; and I've gotten real familiar with the local PD; but when it put me in danger (and in the hospital) I got out of the business. Best of luck to you, and watch your six.

Glock Certified Armorer

No matter what you try to do, until you can effectively control that property, nothing will help.
    Speaking from a strictly LE point of view, and as one who used to operate a small security business doing exactly this type of residential security, I suggest you do this first;

find some off duty jailers who have sworn powers and put them out there to clean it up and make this a bad place for criminals, and trash to want to be. After they see several of their own cuffed and arrested, the word will get around.

I found the deputy jailers to be the best bang for the buck. They are generally lower payed, and are very aggresive. Most regular uniformed officers just want to sit their in the cruiser and hang out thinking the presence factor will do the trick. The jailers will litterally attempt to find somebody to arrest, lol, because they don't get to do that side of LE very much.

After about a month or so of that, you can then invest in repairs and feel assured your investment will be ok.
    Another upside to jailers is they do not have to be nice, and operate under a completely different set of rules and policy.
    Believe me, you want the meanest dogs in the pit out there.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    No matter what you try to do, until you can effectively control that property, nothing will help.
    Speaking from a strictly LE point of view, and as one who used to operate a small security business doing exactly this type of residential security, I suggest you do this first;

find some off duty jailers who have sworn powers and put them out there to clean it up and make this a bad place for criminals, and trash to want to be. After they see several of their own cuffed and arrested, the word will get around.

I found the deputy jailers to be the best bang for the buck. They are generally lower payed, and are very aggresive. Most regular uniformed officers just want to sit their in the cruiser and hang out thinking the presence factor will do the trick. The jailers will litterally attempt to find somebody to arrest, lol, because they don't get to do that side of LE very much.

After about a month or so of that, you can then invest in repairs and feel assured your investment will be ok.
    Another upside to jailers is they do not have to be nice, and operate under a completely different set of rules and policy.
    Believe me, you want the meanest dogs in the pit out there.
    They might already be on a first name basis with some of those who are causing you problems. Might recognize them on sight and by name.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links