requesting Advice from our retired military here

This is a discussion on requesting Advice from our retired military here within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One more vote for the VA and medical records. At your medical outprocess, make sure you mention every complaint (tinnitus, back problems, etc.) and that's ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: requesting Advice from our retired military here

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One more vote for the VA and medical records. At your medical outprocess, make sure you mention every complaint (tinnitus, back problems, etc.) and that's it's documented if you ever received treatment. I'm still fighting over back issues and missing records.

Hopefully you've prepared for the grand departure. I thought I had, but the path I had chosen wasn't what I envisioned. Jobs are tight, gov't contracts get cancelled (leading to unemployment), and these economic times are tough! Don't think that "prior service" will open any door.

The longer I'm retired (20 yrs this month) the more I miss the service. Not so much the BS but the people. In the service we're were all in the same boat (or ship if one prefers) but in the civilian world it's all about "ME."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    'Concur with not focusing just on employment over what your rate was. The world is your oyster.

Since I had done maritime law enforcement in the Coast Guard, at first I just figured it was a given that I'd go to the Contra Costa Sheriff's dept when I got out. Instead, I finished a BS in computer science, and started a whole new career path.

You'll likely underestimate your abilities. I found the civilian standard of only working 40 hours a week to be light duty, and gladly impressed my employers with work ethic. In fact, everything in the civilian world was easier with less paperwork. All I had to do was bring in revenue and everything else fell into place. It was like running free after wearing leg irons for many years.

Congrats on your service, and best of luck in your new life.

Well Headhunters certainly helped me out, what rate are you?

I retired from Raytheon 2 years ago. The word on the street back then was that even a simple secret clearance was worth 10K due to the long backlog. I doubt that it has gotten any better since. Having a TS clearence is golden for the defence industry and so is your experence. Thanks for your service and good luck!

If your looking for employment check out Orion International, they are a placement firm for senior NCO'S and Officers. Companies use Orion to recruit because they understand the value of service members. The job search is no cost to you except travel expenses, Orion's services are paid for by the companies that use them.

Archer 51 has the best advise going. I retired from the USAF many many years ago, after putting in 20 years. At the time, I just wanted to put plenty of distance between myself and the service. I had physical problems at the time, but didn't feel it would make any difference. NOW, going to the VA for treatment, etc, is the only recourse. I did qualify for a VA disability, but it took me 35 years of getting my head on straight, and make them pay for what they did to my body. By all means, make sure all your ailments, sicknesses, etc are documented prior to getting the retirement certificates.

EBC
    I ETS from the Army. I have helped a few Vets get the VA to process their claim faster by telling them to go to the DAV or an other group out side of the state or fed. They seem much better a dealing with the VA. Also look in to joining any and all Vet groups there are little things that even some of the reps dont tell you about that other vets will pass on to you.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

I retired from the USN in 1989. I went to work for the USAF in civil service. Some points that I found important AFTER I retired.

1. Ensure your DD214N(s) are complete and accurate. In TX it's encouraged to get copies to our local VA reps.

2. Clearance. I was a CTI. The USAF kept trying to find my clearance by going through USAF. Lots of problems here. Get with the folks who have records of your clearances, get good POCs. My POC forwarded my clearance to the USAF and things went smoothly from then on. Before that the local folks said I'd have to start from scratch. OPM is doing them now and the backlog is significant.

3. Resumes: Be sure to have someone review your resume. I made three. The one for civil service was almost a book. But it worked. For most in private industry they want something short and sweet with just enough info to make them want to ask more questions. TAP here will review your resume(s) so you get good help before you're on your own.

4. STAY POSITIVE. The highs and lows can be as bad as angles and dangles.

Best to you.
    USN Retired

[QUOTE=archer51;1993321]I gave it 24 years before I hung up my uniform. The time does go fast. Even on the outside. I sometimes find it hard to believe it's been 17 years since I retired.

My advice has to do with the VA. Make sure any and all medical issues, no matter how small are in your medical records. It can make a big difference in VA disability. Also get several copies of your medical records, for your own records. Once they are archived, it is a pain to get copies.

Very good advice indeed. I'm retired military and retired from the VA. Some additional advice: As was said, make sure you have a copy of everything. Have the chart of your military entry / exit hearing test and keep it in a safe place for future use. You may need hearing aids later in life and good ones outrageousious. As of two years ago, they were free for veterans if it was service connected, substantiallyally discounted if not. A copy of ypulmonarymony function test (PFT). After discharge and your earliconvenienceance, enroll with the VA and you will be required to take a MEAN'S test. That's a list of your income, your spouses, ALL your assets, and I mean ALL. Naturally you'll need to be honest about that so it would behoove an applicant to do so when he/she has the least amount of income and assets. And lastly, thank you for your service to our country. I have a lot of respect for submariners and Navy seals. I had it much easier in the Army (I hate cold water and love dry land :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Well Headhunters certainly helped me out, what rate are you?
    Radioman/Comms ET.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Radioman/Comms ET.
    'Looking at Air Traffic Control?

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Radioman/Comms ET.
    Well we are hiring here in houston. I work for NOV. If you don't mind traveling and the working envoronment of the petrolium industry, (field service not rig crew) you can make between 100-130K per year with a nice bonus structure to boot! I was a nuke ET btw on board USS Miami. I am currently in training and about half my class is ex navy. I have a Submarine FT sitting 2 seats down. I am pretty sure relocation to Houston is required.

Doodle, for 100K I'd move to Barrows Point, Alaska I may very well PM you on this further......

That actually sounds pretty good. My 'imeadiate' plans are to do what I can to stay in this area, at least until my youngest daughter graduates HS (she's a junior).

My brother works and lives in the Houston area (Shell pipline I believe) and is doing pretty good too. However, 'She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed' is setting the goals for me to attempt to follow and I understand her reasoning. Her family lives close by, our children have grown up here and relocating our austistic 8YO would be a 'challenge' at first. Having grown up in south Louisiana and being closer to my family would be good, and a significant pay increase would make that decision to relocate easier for all of us to swallow.

WHEC724, I haven't considered ATC but by no means would I rule that out either
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I have 26 years of service, though it took me thirty years to do it ... that four year break was just a momentary lapse of reason, a young and impetuous action. :)

I would tell you to pick and choose your separations carefully. Just because you can get life insurance through the VA doesn't mean it's the best bet, but that also doesn't mean you need to write off the VA either. Same is true for just about everything else in which you have an option: carefully review each option and weigh the costs and benefits carefully before you commit one way or the other.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    ...... carefully review each option and weigh the costs and benefits carefully before you commit one way or the other.
    The costs, benefits, and overall quality of life changing are the major concerns in dealing with all of this, making the right decisions for 'us' is very important and all the advice given here so far has been so very wonderful and greatly appreaciated.... I'm taking it all 'on board'.

I'm still pretty ignorant of alot of the health/life insurence, GI bill benefits, any VA stuff.....but I'm learning!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links