requesting Advice from our retired military here

This is a discussion on requesting Advice from our retired military here within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Howdy ya'll. I'm preparing to turn over the watch here soon.....Jan. 2012 I'm putting to pasture after twenty years of standing the watch in our ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: requesting Advice from our retired military here

requesting Advice from our retired military here

Howdy ya'll. I'm preparing to turn over the watch here soon.....Jan. 2012 I'm putting to pasture after twenty years of standing the watch in our Navy's submarine service. It's been a heck'uva ride but I'm looking forward to moving forward in a new capicity.

My question is pretty broad, what 'lessons learned' have each of you who have crossed the brow before me aquired during and after retiring? Dealing with your PSD (personnal support detatchment), the VA, Job hunting, GI bill, etc. I'm inquiring really on any and all lessons and experiences you would like to share. I've only just begun the route to retirement and I've already discovered that the paperwork involved in retiring is at the very least, quadruple what I had to deal with whenI signed up.

Although this is Navy specific, any service experience and lesson learned will be greatly appreciated. Knowledge IS power.

Man, it's been 20 years already?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

Well, I didn't retire, but, I did just EAS a month ago after 4 years on active duty.

I also saw that the paperwork was a lot worse on the way out. Get started on everything as early as you can. I would imagine your rank will help you with the check-out process, people will be more willing to help, and you may not have to wait in lines as much. But everything will take longer than you think it will. The logistics of my move were complicated because Hawaii put an ocean between my duty station and home of record, so that may of added to the issues (like in order to have my car back here about the time I showed up, I had to ship it from Hawaii a month early).

But get your plan together early. And get as much done as early as you can. I am not sure what the Navy equivalent of TAPS is, but go to it. The Marine version covered everything that you are asking about (it is mandatory for Marines too, not sure about Navy), and gives you a point of contact with someone in each of those areas.

Start your job hunt now. Get your resume together. There were organizations on base that had resume classes and reviews for free, take advantage of those. There are groups set up with the sole purpose of getting veterans jobs. Look into US Veterans, Former, and Transitioning Military Jobs, and set up a profile for them. Look at the annual list of the 100 most vet friendly employers, figure out which of them are in the area you want to settle in, and mail them a resume (actual mail, to a head recruiter, on resume paper). I even found a couple of companies that have recruiters just for veterans. Additionally, I would be willing to look at your resume and or cover letters if you want and share my thoughts, if you are interested PM me. Social networking is big too, set up and account on Linkedin.

Don't cubby-hole yourself based on what your MOS was. I was a grunt in the Marines, and the job I am about to start is in the financial sector. A recruiter there saw the leadership potential and experience, my ability to work under pressure, and all that other "intangible" experience and traits the military gives people. With the War on Terror and influx of veterans in the workforce, a lot of companies are realizing just how good it is to get candidates with those traits. A company can teach you how to do your job there, but those traits are something they can not give a person no matter how much money they spend to try.

The job hunt process is frustrating, and tedious, and involves a lot of waiting. I started in earnest 2 months before I got out, and got lucky, and start my new career a month after I get out. But I applied to countless places, and really treated job hunting as a full time job. But it takes time, no one will get back to you quickly. Just keep at it.

Hope some of that helps, I just went through the whole military/civilian transition deal, so it is all fresh in my mind. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, on here, or in a PM. And thank you for all of your service.
    goldshellback and SIGguy229 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    I've gone and moved this the the military section where hopefully you can get better advice......

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Howdy ya'll. I'm preparing to turn over the watch here soon.....Jan. 2012 I'm putting to pasture after twenty years of standing the watch in our Navy's submarine service. It's been a heck'uva ride but I'm looking forward to moving forward in a new capicity.

My question is pretty broad, what 'lessons learned' have each of you who have crossed the brow before me aquired during and after retiring? Dealing with your PSD (personnal support detatchment), the VA, Job hunting, GI bill, etc. I'm inquiring really on any and all lessons and experiences you would like to share. I've only just begun the route to retirement and I've already discovered that the paperwork involved in retiring is at the very least, quadruple what I had to deal with whenI signed up.

Although this is Navy specific, any service experience and lesson learned will be greatly appreciated. Knowledge IS power.

Man, it's been 20 years already?
    First, congrats!! Did 21 years before retiring, the extra year was because of a promotion requirement.

Anyhow, a lot of job hunting and finding a job will probably depend somewhat on what your job in the Navy was. If it was something technical your chances are probably better, also if you have college or a degree. Either way since you have the GI bill I'd suggest using it, take anything "Uncle" will give you while the taking is good! If you have a degree, go for a graduate degree, if not work on one or finish if you've started.

Since I was Army and retired quite a few years ago I can't say much about your PSD, and (luckily) not qualifying for any type of disability, I've had no experience with the VA.

One thing I did do was when I retired I had 87 days of leave, I took it all as terminal leave, that gave me that long to kick back for a while and find a job while I still was drawing my FULL military pay. (Remember you are going from all your pay and allowances to a percentage of BASE pay!)

Hope that's a little help.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I've gone and moved this the the military section where hopefully you can get better advice.......
    Thanks. This is where I originally started it, but it seemed really 'off-topic' in the 'concealed carry forum' sense. I should stop second-guessing myself so much.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    One thing I did do was when I retired I had 87 days of leave, I took it all as terminal leave, that gave me that long to kick back for a while and find a job while I still was drawing my FULL military pay. (Remember you are going from all your pay and allowances to a percentage of BASE pay!)

Hope that's a little help.
    I'll be sitting on about 80 some-odd days and I plan on utilizing as much as I'll be allowed to.
    I'm hearing the Navy restricts how much terminal leave can be taken but I havent confirmed anything in writing. I just returned from my LAST undersea patrol so to say I'm just getting started means exactly that.

buckeyecpl, TAPS is getting scheduled....it's mandatory of us squids too. Thanks for ALL the advice so far guys. Any and everything is useful!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

VIP Member
    I gave it 24 years before I hung up my uniform. The time does go fast. Even on the outside. I sometimes find it hard to believe it's been 17 years since I retired.

My advice has to do with the VA. Make sure any and all medical issues, no matter how small are in your medical records. It can make a big difference in VA disability. Also get several copies of your medical records, for your own records. Once they are archived, it is a pain to get copies.

Any idea where you plan on retiring?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thank all you guys for your service, and sacrifice of your families.
    oneshot and charski like this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My advice has to do with the VA. Make sure any and all medical issues, no matter how small are in your medical records. It can make a big difference in VA disability. Also get several copies of your medical records, for your own records. Once they are archived, it is a pain to get copies.

Any idea where you plan on retiring?
    I heard that too just yesterday talking with my retired neighbor. The whole 'make several copies medical/dental records' thing. I'm not 'disabled' by any means but there are a few 'cronic' aches and pains that are gonna be looked at here soon(dang knees!). Thanks. As soon as I corner our corpsman I'll get that done pronto!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Thank all you guys for your service, and sacrifice of your families.

^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I retired in 2003 after 20 yrs in the Army. The first thing I would suggest is to make sure your medical records are accurate and that you claim every single little thing, including bumps and scars.

Next, get your resume together and start looking at jobs in the industries that you would like to work, but leave all options open (be flexible). I was in the medical field my whole Army career, but I'm working in a totally unrelated industry using the leadership, management, supervisory, training, admin and coaching skills acquired in the military; I have more than 100 employees under my charge. And, in my case, the pay is much better than if I were working in a medical job with my qualifications.

Finally, be mentally prepared. Things are very different in civilian life and I can almost guarantee you some frustrations, which may affect your personal and professional life, not to mention the fact that you will miss your old routine and the military lifestyle. Good luck and don't stop doing PT!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

As Archer said...get the VA briefing and get those copies of your medical records...THEY ARE GOLD if you have issues down the line...

TAPS - good stuff...mandatory, and it really should be...

When it comes to writing your resume for the future, write it with civilians in mind...no military jargon or acronyms...in fact, I found a retired Marine through the Air Force Association who has a great business writing resumes for military folks...he takes your last five evaluations, and the citations from any non-combat awards, and cranks out a killer resume...I'm looking for a book of his that I have...if I find it, I'll PM his name to you...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

With 20 years as a Submariner, you should have a TS clearance. Defense contractors are always looking for experienced folks with an active TS clearance - use it as the great leverage it is. Talk to other military retired folks who have been working in the civilian sector for more than a couple years - you need their input as part of being educated before you go on job interviews. Never let a prospective employer even suggest your military retired pay and benefits offset anything offered - you earned your retired pay and benefits and they should never be a factor in your future civilian employment compensation. Learn how to sell yourself and negotiate - most military folks have no idea how to do these two things.

VIP Member
    Check and double check every line on your 214 before signing dates of service and medals and ribbons[ this may seem small now but could be needed with the VA later]

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    I'm looking for a book of his that I have...if I find it, I'll PM his name to you...
    Oh could I use something like that! Thanks DaveJay!

Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    With 20 years as a Submariner, you should have a TS clearance. Defense contractors are always looking for experienced folks with an active TS clearance - use it as the great leverage it is..
    That's a good point. I do have the super-secret squirrel clearence.

Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Never let a prospective employer even suggest your military retired pay and benefits offset anything offered - you earned your retired pay and benefits and they should never be a factor in your future civilian employment compensation. Learn how to sell yourself and negotiate - most military folks have no idea how to do these two things.
    Very good advice!

nn, I have been told that very bit of advice repeatedly. Something as simple as that .........

Excellent advice all!

VIP Member
    Lots of good info especially on the med records, here is a website that has info on benefits and how to apply for them. Everything on the website is also available as a soft cover book at either the VA office or your local RAO (Retiree’s Activities Office) for no charge.

Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors - Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs
    goldshellback likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links