Army Retirees? - Page 2

Army Retirees?

This is a discussion on Army Retirees? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just to be clear, you still can get the free care if you want on base, and so can your wife... even if she's an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Army Retirees?

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Just to be clear, you still can get the free care if you want on base, and so can your wife... even if she's an (un-remarried) widow.

Also, if you're not on TFL, or even if you are, you have a third option... you can use the VA hospitals and clinics for free just like on-base facilities, and you're not third in line behind active duty and dependants. The only thing is, if you end up in a civilian hospital for something and don't have TFL they won't cover that.

It's true that TFL isn't completely free, it works out that we pay about $50 per month for the premium and then there are copays... but things change. It's still a good deal.

My wife declined her employer's heath coverage (would have cost her $1.50/ hr) because Tricare for Life is cheaper and better coverage for both of us.

As a disabled vet I'm still getting coverage from SGLI as well, they extended it for 2 years from my retirement date, FOR FREE. $400,000 life insurance policy for nothing. Shhh... don't tell the wife, she might get ideas.

All in all I really can't complain about the way the military or the VA has treated me at all.

And I didn't put the stickers from the packet on my truck... because there are already two there. One says "ARMOR" with the Armor branch insignia and the other is the "Army Star" logo like the two that came in the packet. There's also a "US Army, Retired" licence plate holder... and I strongly encourage everyone I can to join up, if not the Army then somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post

Not to beat a dead horse, the the "free" medical care is what I was getting at.

I figure when I stop working I'll end up on Tri Care.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    And I didn't put the stickers from the packet on my truck... because there are already two there. One says "ARMOR" with the Armor branch insignia and the other is the "Army Star" logo like the two that came in the packet. There's also a "US Army, Retired" licence plate holder...
    Funny thing about "stickers". About a year ago the EOD Memorial came out with one of those magnetic "ribbons", so naturally I figured "this I can support". Anyhow this ribbon arrives, and out to the car ('05 Outback) I go, put the ribbon on the tailgate...... And straight to the ground! The whole back end is made up of non-magnetic material!! So, my "sticker" resides on the fridge.

Thanks for the info!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Yeah..

I got one, but figured it was a polite way of rejecting my offer to return to active duty.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'm sad now, I havent received my package yet. The info on TFL was very helpful and appriciated. I guess I need to get my happy behind over and get my retired id card. Just havent done it yet as I retired via the mail. Was a real nice thanks for 21 years, and phone call and orders in the mail, and to think my last tour was heading a protection detail for the Sec Def. Oh well. If they ever change the law about matching federal employees salaries I'll resign as I do miss my guys and it sucks watching the kids over there and not joining them. I cry every time they ship another unit out, and its not for them (selfish of me I know) its for me, not going with them.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Thanks for the input on Tricare. I have a while before 65 but always wondered what kind of nasty surprise uncle sam had waiting for me.
    I can rest easy.
    JLB
    USN RET

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Q View Post
    Thanks for the input on Tricare. I have a while before 65 but always wondered what kind of nasty surprise uncle sam had waiting for me.
    I can rest easy.
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one!
    Rick

Government Blunders

Been reading yall's retiree threads. Seems like the Government wants to renege on it's promises it made when you made your pledge to them. One of our Governments shortcomings is failure to take long term care of it's patriots. The USA would not be best country in the world without it's military heritage. Thanks for all of yall's service.
    DVC Greg

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Actually, if you read the posts you would see that's not the case.

Retirees are still eligible for free medical care at most military medical facilities (some small clinics like Buckley AFB don't have room for retirees), they are eligible for free care from VA facilities AND they have the option of signing up for Tricare for Life making them eligible to receive care from civilian providers closer to home for a nominal fee.

When a retiree turns 65 Medicare becomes his primary insurance, if he is treated in a military or VA facility they bill Medicare, but as far as the retiree is concered nothing changes. The billing change is transparent to the retiree and coverages stay the same. Likewise if a retiree over 65 has TFL, Medicare still becomes his primary, TFL picks up what Medicare doesn't cover, and still as far as the retiree is concerned nothing seems to change.

There really isn't anything to complain about with the medical coverage provided to retirees. Most who have issues simply don't understand the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    Been reading yall's retiree threads. Seems like the Government wants to renege on it's promises it made when you made your pledge to them. One of our Governments shortcomings is failure to take long term care of it's patriots. The USA would not be best country in the world without it's military heritage. Thanks for all of yall's service.
    DVC Greg
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    Actually, if you read the posts you would see that's not the case.

Retirees are still eligible for free medical care at most military medical facilities (some small clinics like Buckley AFB don't have room for retirees), they are eligible for free care from VA facilities AND they have the option of signing up for Tricare for Life making them eligible to receive care from civilian providers closer to home for a nominal fee.

When a retiree turns 65 Medicare becomes his primary insurance, if he is treated in a military or VA facility they bill Medicare, but as far as the retiree is concered nothing changes. The billing change is transparent to the retiree and coverages stay the same. Likewise if a retiree over 65 has TFL, Medicare still becomes his primary, TFL picks up what Medicare doesn't cover, and still as far as the retiree is concerned nothing seems to change.

There really isn't anything to complain about with the medical coverage provided to retirees. Most who have issues simply don't understand the system.
    I stand corrected, guess I did'nt read enough. I have a hard enough time understanding my costly coverage.
    DVC Greg

We're supposed to be getting another pin in the mail shortly.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Lead Moderator
    Yea, it's supposed to be like the "Army" pin we got, but says "Retired" on it.
    Rick

Well, if you aren't old enough for TriCare for Life or have anyone in your family eligible for MediCare, as is my case, the cost of TriCare for my family and runs about $460 per year in annual premiums (this is for TriCare Prime coverage). Under current DoD considerations is the increase of up to 3 times that for annual premiums. Those that opt for TriCare Extra or Standard would incur additional cost for their costshares and annual deductibles.

The coverage itself isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it does seem to me that Congress and the DoD aren't exactly holding up their end of the bargain.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Well I have to admit I was amazed a few years ago when I got a new military ID card and it said that my "free lifetime medical care" I was "promised" when I enlisted ended when I was 65. That was when I realized I'd better not count on the government for much in the way of retirement care.

Exactly. Tricare sucks. Thank God for the money for retirement for giving up 20 years of my life. On the plus side, I live in the greatest country on Earth, have the most freedoms, and would do it again in a second for free if I could. Looking back over 20 years, it was a true blessing to be part of the word FREEDOM. Thank God for the U.S.A.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links