Army Retirees?

Army Retirees?

This is a discussion on Army Retirees? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you are an Army retiree, I was just wondering if you got a package from the Army in the last couple days? I got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Army Retirees?

Lead Moderator

Army Retirees?

If you are an Army retiree, I was just wondering if you got a package from the Army in the last couple days?

I got home today and found what the Army is calling a "Freedom Team Salute". In the envelope was a letter thanking me for my service (I retired in 1985), a certificate, a couple of U.S. Army decals, and a lapel pin.

Both the certificate and letter was "signed" by the Sec. Army and the Army Chief of Staff, thanking me for my service.

Needless to say it was a real surprise after 20+ years.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I got the same Freedom Team Salute package from the Army, with the same contents, sometime in January 06, nine years after my retirement in 1997.
    Was a surprise to me too, but, welcomed. It's good to be remembered.

I was not happy with it. It was a "pat on the back" hoping we will recommend the Army and advertise with the pin and decals to the young folks. While this is going on the Pentagon is trying to raise Tricare costs. They have been saying retirees cost too much and want to pay for wars by cutting their benefits back. They are complaining about COLA's also.
    Last edited by ltc-usa; August 4th, 2006 at 08:06 PM.

I got mine and added to my Stuff drawer. I am looking for a leather vest to put all that shiny stuff on. I can wear it at the next VFW meeting. I was invited to Buckly AFB for a tribute to retirees. spose to have lots of info for us, from tri scare to IDs. See you there.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ltc-usa
    I was not happy with it. It was a "pat on the back" hoping we will recommend the Army and advertise with the pin and decals to the young folks. While this is going on the Pentagon is trying to raise Tricare costs. They have been saying retirees cost too much and want to pay for wars by cutting their benefits back. They are complaining about COLA's also.
    Well I have to admit I was amazed a few years ago when I got a new military ID card and it said that my "free lifetime medical care" I was "promised" when I enlisted ended when I was 65. That was when I realized I'd better not count on the government for much in the way of retirement care.
    Rick

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Come on guys. They just want you to re-up. They need people with an ATTITUDE! After all that's how wars are won.

I retired in 1978, from the Navy, I am well over 65 and still receive medical benifits in the form of Tri Care for Life. I know that there can not be that much difference in basic benifits relating to branch of service.

I retired in 93. Got the package. Put the stickers on my Jeep and the pin on my Tilley.

Springfield XD Service 9MM
    Sig Mosquito w/Red Dot
    Taurus 22 Auto Pocket Pistol
    S&W Chief's Special
    Remington 870
    Enfield Mark III
    SA Black Stainless PX9152L
    Browning BPS 12 ga Upland Special

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Well I have to admit I was amazed a few years ago when I got a new military ID card and it said that my "free lifetime medical care" I was "promised" when I enlisted ended when I was 65. That was when I realized I'd better not count on the government for much in the way of retirement care.
    rstickle that just doesn't sound right. When I was working with the SP's anf then at Pass and ID we used to have lots of people over 65 use our medical facilities. I do know that at 65 you get a new ID card that never has to be renewed.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey
    rstickle that just doesn't sound right. When I was working with the SP's anf then at Pass and ID we used to have lots of people over 65 use our medical facilities. I do know that at 65 you get a new ID card that never has to be renewed.
    Well the back of my retired ID card (DD From 2) which is the Oct 93 version, issued in June '97, has a "Medical" block on the back. In the block it shows an effective date of 1 SEP 1985 (Date of retirement) and an expiration date of 30 SEP 2010, I turn 65 in October!

My ID card itself doesn't expire, but my Wife's has to be renewed periodically. The only reason I got a new one in 97 was because the Army changed the ID card.

Rick
    Rick

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief
    I retired in 1978, from the Navy, I am well over 65 and still receive medical benifits in the form of Tri Care for Life. I know that there can not be that much difference in basic benifits relating to branch of service.
    Don't get me wrong, I can get Tri Care, but that is sort of like a civilian medical plan that you contribute to, and that isn't a complaint. But, when I went into the military they supplied full medical care at no cost to the military member, and they were still doing that when I retired 21 years later.

Now they have "changed the rules" with no grandfathering...... Guess it just sort of rubs me the wrong way. I spent all those years in the military thinking I was going to get "X", and suddenly 8 years after I retire I find they are giving me "Y"!

Having "pitched my *****", I'd still do the 20 years again! It left me with a lot of great memories, and friends for life!
    Rick

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    My wife used to work ID cards and DEERS at Ft Carson. She says it has something to do with the way the computer system works. ID card tracking is one computer, and medical benefits are another system.

There's something about how they track people after 65, your profile in DEERS changes because now the military can bill Medicaid as "third party insurance". You won't lose your benefits, you just have to go in and get updated in DEERS and a new card. When you get a new card after 65 you'll never have to get another, that one really will never expire.

You can still go to military medical facilities, or you can use the Tricare for Life civilian providers. TFL is just like the Tricare Standard or Prime Remote that you use on active duty when you're assigned away from a base with medical facilities... like recruiters and such. Myself, I like using the civilian providers... on base retirees are third in line behind active duty and dependants anyway.

She saw people every day, retirees and widows of retirees, WAY over 65 who hadn't gotten new cards since they changed the system to allow cards for those over 65 to never expire. Local nursing home would bring them by in wheelchairs, and they even went out with a mobile unit sometimes to do ID cards for people in homes who couldn't be moved.

My biggest adjustment since retiring has been the idea of a "co-pay". I'm used to all medical care being completely free. My wife recently had major surgery, the hospital stay portion alone was almost $40,000. They sent us a bill for the copay. $25.

Tricare for Life isn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    In the block it shows an effective date of 1 SEP 1985 (Date of retirement) and an expiration date of 30 SEP 2010, I turn 65 in October!

Rick
    Last edited by tanksoldier; August 11th, 2006 at 03:14 AM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    My biggest adjustment since retiring has been the idea of a "co-pay". I'm used to all medical care being completely free. My wife recently had major surgery, the hospital stay portion alone was almost $40,000. They sent us a bill for the copay. $25.
    First thanks for the additional info...... Tha Army hasn't been great about providing it. (Especially since I was out before any of this came in)

Not to beat a dead horse, the the "free" medical care is what I was getting at.

As for dependents, if I remember correctly (and the only time my Wife spent in the hospital was childbirth) all we had to pay was basically per diem for meals provided.

I figure when I stop working I'll end up on Tri Care.
    Rick

Army Retirees

I got mine and like it. Army 68-88

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Well the back of my retired ID card (DD From 2) which is the Oct 93 version, issued in June '97, has a "Medical" block on the back. In the block it shows an effective date of 1 SEP 1985 (Date of retirement) and an expiration date of 30 SEP 2010, I turn 65 in October!
    When you turn 65 your insurance changes to Tricare for life. You must use your Medicare part A & B with tricare for life. Medacare becomes your primary healthcare insurance and TriCare becomes your secondary. This is the reason for the exparation date. You get another ID card when you turn 65. The Military just doesn't cut you loose at that time. In fact you will have a better insurance coverage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links