The Little Kid Wanted To Be A Cop - But, That Just Didn't Fit The CBS Agenda.

This is a discussion on The Little Kid Wanted To Be A Cop - But, That Just Didn't Fit The CBS Agenda. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; WBBM Distorts Child Interview: Chicago CBS Outlet's Misleading Editing Of Kid's Remarks WBBM-TV, the CBS affiliate in Chicago, has come under fire in recent days ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By Justified
  • 1 Post By rstickle

Thread: The Little Kid Wanted To Be A Cop - But, That Just Didn't Fit The CBS Agenda.

Administrator

WBBM Distorts Child Interview: Chicago CBS Outlet's Misleading Editing Of Kid's Remarks

WBBM-TV, the CBS affiliate in Chicago, has come under fire in recent days for broadcasting an interview with a four-year-old boy, and deliberately taking his quote out of context to completely pervert its meaning.

The story aired on June 30, as part of a package about overnight violence around the city.

It first describes the shooting death of 16-year-old Juan Batista, then reports on two other teens who were shot but not killed in the city's Park Manor neighborhood on the South Side.

"Kids on the street as young as four were there to see it all unfold, and had disturbing reactions," then-anchor Steve Bartelstein said, leading into video of an interview with the four-year-old boy.

When asked, "What are you going to do when you get older?" the boy responds: Im going to have me a gun!

"That is very scary indeed," Bartelstein adds.

According to video obtained by the Maynard Institute for Journalism Education, the full interview went like this:

Reporter: Boy, you aint scared of nothing! Damn! When you get older are you going to stay away from all these guns?

Boy: No.

Reporter: No? What are you going to do when you get older?

Boy: Im going to have me a gun!

Reporter: You are! Why do you want to do that?

Boy: I'm going to be the police!
    (emphasis added)

Senior Moderator
    Typical CBS.

It's referred to the Communist Brodcast Service for a reason.
    Justified and OD* like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

WOW. I can't believe ANY network would twist an interview that much, and with a four year old child no less!

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    WOW. I can't believe ANY network would twist an interview that much, and with a four year old child no less!
    Don't believe anything they tell you - EVER, unless you are there and see it for yourself.
    Been there. Been "quoted," and it had little to do with what I actually said.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Here is a link to another article about it. Chicago TV station takes four-year-old's quote out of context in story about shooting

Lets see... This took place in Chicago.... I'm incredibly shocked to hear this happened in such a gun-friendly town.

Watch Fahrenhype 9/11. That movie is the epidome of how quotes can be twisted.
    Naufragia likes this.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Here is a link to another article about it. Chicago TV station takes four-year-old's quote out of context in story about shooting

Lets see... This took place in Chicago.... I'm incredibly shocked to hear this happened in such a gun-friendly town.
    Is their editor named B.H. O'Bama? The station director Rahm E. Manuel? Wouldnt surprise me.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Late last week, Jeff Kiernan, WBBM vice president and news director Jeff Kiernan apologized in an email to Poynter.org about the sound bite.

"We accept responsibility for the mistakes that were made, both in the reporting and editing of the story," he said. "The video of the child should not have aired.

He accepted responsibility for the "sound bite" - but doesn't apologize for intentionally misleading the viewing public. The video should have aired as it was recorded.

Scumbag, your closet is waiting...
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Guys, I work in Broadcast TV. I have worked at 4 different news stations and directly for FOX. This is incredibly common. Hardly a single news cast is broadcast, either nationally or locally, where at least one story isn't edited in such a way as to totally turn the outcome to the preconceived and desired outcome that the reporter or news director wanted.

This is but one of the many reasons why I dislike my job so much. The news isn't the facts, it is most often just the ramblings of what some liberal idiot wants to disseminate to the people. And it is almost always wildly inaccurate and sometimes it's outright lies.

I could tell you stories you wouldn't believe.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Oh I would believe you Mike.

"Youth gun downed by on duty Deputy at local (either service station or gas station)"

That was the head line for my dad's shooting.

One youth my butt he was in his 20's out on bond for ARMED robbery, my dad was off duty and out of uniform taking a sweater to my mom at work, and the guy was robbing the place and pointing a gun at my mom when my dad walked out of the back room after using the restroom.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Oh I would believe you Mike.

"Youth gun downed by on duty Deputy at local (either service station or gas station)"

That was the head line for my dad's shooting.

One youth my butt he was in his 20's out on bond for ARMED robbery, my dad was off duty and out of uniform taking a sweater to my mom at work, and the guy was robbing the place and pointing a gun at my mom when my dad walked out of the back room after using the restroom.
    "Youth" includes up to 21, so the the number of "children" killed by guns stays a big enough number for the anti's to use.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Ever since Rathergate, it's been known as the Complete BS network.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    "Youth" includes up to 21, so the the number of "children" killed by guns stays a big enough number for the anti's to use.
    Actually, in many of the reports the news departments use the same standards that the US Government and the Brady bunch use. The term youth refers to someone as old as 27 in most cases. That is called skewing the stats in your favor in a big way.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lead Moderator
    "Newsies", politicians and lawyers...... If their lips are moving, they're lying!!
    Katana likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Sponsored Links