Is this legal? Active Duty Military training for operations inside the US. - Page 3

Is this legal? Active Duty Military training for operations inside the US.

This is a discussion on Is this legal? Active Duty Military training for operations inside the US. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TN_Mike I always thought the military was precluded from operating inside the US in a "peace keeping" role. But read this article ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Is this legal? Active Duty Military training for operations inside the US.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I always thought the military was precluded from operating inside the US in a "peace keeping" role. But read this article and see what you think. It seems they have been training for this eventuality for some time now. And according to the author, this may come about very soon.

» Pollster: Americans Are “Pre-Revolutionary” Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
    I think that is very scary if you have read about Alex Jone's New World Order conspiracy. The thought of 20,000 US troops deployed in America to police the streets is definitely a scary thought. The key word here is "emergency situation". On the top of my head, I would think that they are probably meant to fight back terrorism or serve for natural disaster relief, but the term "emergency situation" could be manipulated to mean a bunch of things.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Sadly I agree. Most citizens would give up their freedom for safety.

Michael
    Or to put it another way..

"Most people want security in this world, not liberty." ~H.L. Mencken, Minority Report, 1956
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    FYI...I'm not taking anyones firearms...
    I appreciate hearing that from you. You've always seemed very level headed to me, judging from your posts that I've read.
    I just wonder how many others feel the same way?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I appreciate hearing that from you. You've always seemed very level headed to me, judging from your posts that I've read.
    Lets say discussions have happened with my peers....I've mentored my subordinates....and I've listened to some of my senior leaders/immediate bosses....we know our oath..."to support and defend the Constitution...against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and bear true faith and allegiance to the same, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion..."

We're on the same page...
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Stubborn
    Lets say discussions have happened with my peers....I've mentored my subordinates....and I've listened to some of my senior leaders/immediate bosses....we know our oath..."to support and defend the Constitution...against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and bear true faith and allegiance to the same, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion..."

After re-reading my last post, the words I wrote weren't exactly what I meant. I meant to say, I wonder how many others feel the same way as you with regard to not taking anyone's firearms. Sorry, sometimes my brain works faster than my fingers type...and visa-versa.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree with you. Being an NCO in the NG would put me in a tough position (most people's thoughts) with military orders flowing down. My interpretation of my job as an NCO - let the higher ups know when something doesn't sound right, meaning "Sir, what you're telling me to do is violate the second amendment, the oath you and I took prevents me from doing so". My process is pretty clear, I follow orders until the day I receive one that is illegal in any way. I have my own processes for how I will deal with that on the military side, but I can tell my fellow Texans, if something like this happens and I knock on your door, it will be to tell you to grab your gun(s) and come with me, not to hand them over.

J

You all are aware that those 20,000 troops are less than 2/3 the strength of the NYPD right? NYPD has over 34,000 sworn officers covering 300 square miles. And we know how such a massive presence has completely eliminated all crime in the big apple. The Soviets had more than five times that many troops in Afghanistan when they were there and how did that work out for them? Afghanistan is only about 15,000 square miles smaller than Texas.
    20,000 troops..... hmmmmmmmmmm......
    They wouldn't even fill the cheap seats at a Texans game.
    They could all attend a concert inside the Staples Center together!

And that is how they are going to subjugate over two hundred million people spread over 3.79 million square miles?
    DaveJay likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

JDE101, the state may have requested the Federal troops so the governor would not have to ask his citizens in the NG to do that duty. Years ago, when I was in the 1st Armored Div we were on alert to go to Detroit to respond to the riots by using the local NG tanks. As I remember the governor wasn't sure his own troops would do the job. Never happened, thank God.

VIP Member
    I have my tin foil hat on as we speak, to guard against the black helicopters.

This is all part of the grand design, called the NWO.
    dlbrown75 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Legal to train and legal to deploy. But there are steps that must be gone through properly to do so legally. Scary, but seriously, I have a lot more faith in our military currently than the politicians that are supposed to be their bosses. My guess, is that if Obama's crew (or future Communists like them) started issuing crazy orders, the generals would say, "Ok, that's enough!"

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    from wikpedia:

Recent legislative eventsOn September 26, 2006, President Bush urged Congress to consider revising federal laws so that U.S. armed forces could restore public order and enforce laws in the aftermath of a natural disaster, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

These changes were included in the John Warner National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007 (H.R. 5122 ), which was signed into law on October 17, 2006.[6]

Section 1076 is titled "Use of the Armed Forces in major public emergencies." It provided that:

The President may employ the armed forces... to... restore public order and enforce the laws of the United States when, as a result of a natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition... the President determines that... domestic violence has occurred to such an extent that the constituted authorities of the State or possession are incapable of maintaining public order... or [to] suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy if such... a condition... so hinders the execution of the laws... that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege, immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law... or opposes or obstructs the execution of the laws of the United States or impedes the course of justice under those laws.[7]
    In 2008, these changes were repealed in their entirety, reverting to the previous wording of the Insurrection Act.[8]

[edit] Exclusions and limitations

Exclusions and limitations: There are a number of situations in which the Act does not apply. These include:

National Guard units and State Defense Forces while under the authority of the governor of a state;
    Troops used under the order of the President of the United States pursuant to the Insurrection Act, as was the case during the 1992 Los Angeles Riots.

Under 18 U.S.C. § 831, the Attorney General may request that the Secretary of Defense provide emergency assistance if civilian law enforcement is inadequate to address certain types of threats involving the release of nuclear materials, such as potential use of a nuclear or radiological weapon. Such assistance may be by any personnel under the authority of the Department of Defense, provided such assistance does not adversely affect U.S. military preparedness.
    Support roles under the Joint Special Operations Command
    Hopyard likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    What do you think?

I know what I'll be doing. I won't be anywhere near the riots. I won't be involved in rioting. I live in a rural area. Our town would likely go into lock-down, and repel any of the masses fleeing the cities. We won't be letting outsiders come and just raid our community.

We won't be fighting against the troops who are trying to quell the riots, we'll be fighting the freeloaders who think they are just going to come take what doesn't belong to them.
    At the risk of being called inflammatory and brash, I would submit that if any of these hoodlums decided to take their objections and violence into the more rural areas of the country, there wouldn't be a lot of fighting. I think there would be a lot of killing, and it wouldn't be the homeowners who would be planning funerals...
    dlbrown75 likes this.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    JDE101, the state may have requested the Federal troops so the governor would not have to ask his citizens in the NG to do that duty. Years ago, when I was in the 1st Armored Div we were on alert to go to Detroit to respond to the riots by using the local NG tanks. As I remember the governor wasn't sure his own troops would do the job. Never happened, thank God.
    You need to check your history a little bit. I can guarantee you that the governor of Arkansas definately did NOT ask the President to send in Federal troops, as HE was trying to keep the schools segregated! Same with Mississippi. Do you recall Governor Wallace in Alabama? The southern states were not jumping for joy at having to integrate their shcools and the governors sure as heck did NOT invite federal toops to come into their states!!!!!!
    Hopyard and TN_Mike like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    You need to check your history a little bit. I can guarantee you that the governor of Arkansas definately did NOT ask the President to send in Federal troops, as HE was trying to keep the schools segregated! Same with Mississippi. Do you recall Governor Wallace in Alabama? The southern states were not jumping for joy at having to integrate their shcools and the governors sure as heck did NOT invite federal toops to come into their states!!!!!!
    Completely correct. Wallace didn't ask the troops present that day when he stood in the school house door to come and keep him from keeping the black students from starting school. The Federal Government ordered those troops to do that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    My thinking pretty much mirrors yours. Whether the deployment was legal or not, most law abiding citizens would welcome troops moving in to restore the peace.
    The difference between us and Britain is we the people are armed for now. We can defend our own property. We see these mobs here in the US in very liberal cities with strict gun laws. Every citizen will be guilty if the Army is used in the streets. Just like in N.O when they went door to door confiscating weapons. Military, and police officers please check out Oath Keepers organization.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links