Just curious

Just curious

This is a discussion on Just curious within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm curious if anyone here knows the requirements to get an expert pistol and rifle qualification in the army?...

Thread: Just curious

Just curious

I'm curious if anyone here knows the requirements to get an expert pistol and rifle qualification in the army?

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I'm curious if anyone here knows the requirements to get an expert pistol and rifle qualification in the army?
    I know what they used to be because I held both of them. One of the young troops will have to tell you what they are currently.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    I can't remember either, but I assure you that the quals aren't that tough. Just about everybody quals expert eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I can't remember either, but I assure you that the quals aren't that tough. Just about everybody quals expert eventually.
    They aren't tough. Naturally you have to hit the target in the pistol qualification. Most of that was bringing the weapon on target, acquiring a sight picture as quickly as possible, and taking the shot. The longer you held it in front of you trying to aim, the more your hands would shake and the worse your results would be. With the rifle, you had targets popping up at different ranges. After a time you could predict the sequence that they were going to pop up. That greatly improved your score.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Shoot straight, a lot, and BOOM! Badge!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

pistol IDK, but rifle or carbine expert is 36 or above out of 40. 20 shots from prone supported, 10 prone unsupported, 10 kneeling. Targets range from 50-300 meters.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Back in the 1980's I want to say it was thirty six out of forty.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    pistol IDK, but rifle or carbine expert is 36 or above out of 40. 20 shots from prone supported, 10 prone unsupported, 10 kneeling. Targets range from 50-300 meters.
    There we go. 'Spencer oughta know. That's pretty much how I remember it - all stationary target shooting. It never made much sense to me (I figured it was so that the officers could make it ;-). BTW, pistol was about the same.

Wasn't pistol all from a standing position? I seem to recall that classic military, right angle to the target, sighting down your shooting arm..one handed with a 1911.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Lead Moderator
    Google "Army Marksmanship qualification" and you'll get more hits than you know what to do with. Then it's just a matter of finding the right one. The first page of reference sites had both rifle and pistol..... Both the older and newer stuff!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Google "Army Marksmanship qualification" and you'll get more hits than you know what to do with. Then it's just a matter of finding the right one. The first page of reference sites had both rifle and pistol..... Both the older and newer stuff!
    Thanks, I tried to google it but I used some weird terms and I didn't get anywhere.

Sponsored Links